Blanche D'Ardenne | Brasserie Du Bocq

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.25/5  rDev +39.3%

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

3.62/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer bottle (25 cl.) purchased from La Cervoiserie, and tasted in 2013.

Appearance : pale yellow color, with white foamy head.
Smell : wheat, coriander and citrus aromas.
Taste & mouthfeel : malty flavors with citrus notes, and wheaty finish.
Drinkability : an average beer in the Belgian style Witbier.

2.5/5  rDev -18%

2.16/5  rDev -29.2%

Produced little in the way of head at all and was marked by slight fruitiness, possibly peach, on the nose, a particular yeast/wheatiness which I can only describe as more ‘dry’ than, for example, St. Bernardus. Visible signs of quite a bit of carbonation and, on first taste, the idea of dryness enters my mind again. It’s as if this beer has taken the form of a wit-flavored champagne and, due to the light, dry and ‘tight’ body of these beer the flavor profile doesn’t come out as rounded or fully developed as I would’ve liked. A nice enough beer, but considerably more expensive than Celis White or St. Bernardus and clearly not on the same level as those beauties.

Pours that familiar cloudy wit bier color. Has a crisp white head that fades leaving spotted lacing around the glass.

Smell is not strong. Has notes of bread, dough, wheat, yeast, and some orange peel.

A fairly watery beer even for the style. I'm glad to be adding a beer but it's not what I was expecting. It's not even as good as Hoegaarden, which is saying something because I don't even like that. There are many many beers that are a better example of the style. This one is thin and has a musty aftertaste that isn't all to pleasant. I wouldn't turn my nose up at this beer if I was offered it but I'm not going to be buying anytime soon.

Blanche D'Ardenne from Brasserie Du Bocq