Geist Whistling Wheat | Brasserie Du Bocq

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:

4.05/5  rDev 0%

This is another one from the contract brewed range from Brasserie Du Bocq fro India. Whistling Wheat was landed in Spencer's, Bangalore and turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The stubby bottle looks as Belgianesque as you can get. Poured into a tumbler from a 3 inch height to promote a good head - I was overwhelmed. The beer poured a hazy bronze - yellow, transluscent with a big 2 inch head. It was quite a sight - I could never have expected such a pour from a domestic beer, perfect in almost every way except that the head slowly receded to 1 cm and finally settled into a thin coaster. This revealed a good, strong nose. Very citrusy and spicy - typical of a witbier. The spice was dominant of the two though - the wheat malt was faint, but was inviting enough to let me take a sip.
The taste was intense - fresh wheat malt with a strong spicy backbone (full of cloves and coriander) and a nice aftertaste of citrus enveloping your palate. The citrus in the taste was more significantly present than that in the nose. The spice was pretty lengthy as well, creating some heat on your palate. One thing that was a little bothersome was the level of effervescence - the carbonation was quite high, almost numbing the palate eventually. Though every sip was delightful - assertive and flavourful.
I wish I had got more of this - definitely my favourite out of the three Geist brews that I've tried so far. Although I wouldn't like to session with these (primarily because of the strongish taste), I would definitely like to have the WW in my collection, some to savour and perhaps a couple to mellow.

Geist Whistling Wheat from Brasserie Du Bocq