Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Old Ale

Added by mjl21 on 04-02-2009

Reviews by Newmerator:
3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

I also had this on tap during their 20th anni party a few weeks back and have been meaning to throw this up here.

The review below is pretty dead on. Looked like iced-tea with little to no carbonation. I drank it down nearly all the way and swirled it as much as I could to try and agitate some bubbles, no luck. I tasted raisin, or maybe figs. couldn't really make out the smell too much aside from the malty sweetness of it.

Now I'm no expert, so I'm not sure if the "Old English Style Ale" is supposed to be flat and sweet. If it is, they did a great job, but I however was not impressed.

I also had just one, and then moved to the next. I hope next years is better. I love with white knuckle DIPA. Mmmm

2.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Had this at the brwery on 2009-04-27.

The ale has a cedar color and very short head with no lacing.

There's a slight, floral aroma.

The taste is sweet with fairly strong hops (cascade?) and hint of pine.

The body and carbonation are light-medium.

It was an OK brew but not remarkable.

On tap at the brewpub during their 20th Anniversary party. They describe this as an English Style Old Ale. Poured into a pint glass. Comes in at 6.8%.

A-Looks like a really dark iced tea. No head at all and no lacing is left.

S-Not too much going. Get hints of sweet caramel malt along with raisin and black cherry.

T-The dark stone fruits come fast. Definitely can taste raisins, plums, and dark cherries. Very sweet, although on the back there is a nice bitterness from being well hopped. Also getting an off flavor in between which is almost soapy tasting.

M-Medium bodied and light on the carbonation.

D-One was enough due to the sweetness.

For me this was one to try once and I would probably never order again due to other selections that I like better. I found the sweetness and the soapy flavor not to my liking. On the plus side this was specially priced at $2.00 fot the pint.

20th Anniversary Old Ale from Marin Brewing Company