Penny Weiz Ale | The Olde Burnside Brewing Company

The Olde Burnside Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States
oldeburnsidebrewing.com

Style: Witbier

"Penny Weiz" is our special version of a Belgian Witbier, incorporating 50% wheat and 50% barley. Based on an original homebrew recipe from Paul "Zok" Zocco (of Zok's Homebrewing Supplies), our Head Brewer, Joe Lushing collaborated with Paul to create a wonderfully refreshing, thirst-quenching brew especially for spring and summer enjoyment. To put a subtle spicy note to the beer, a "wee" bit of heather and sweet orange peel were added to the mix in keeping with our brewery's Scottish roots. "Penny Weiz" is a 5% ABV beer and is available in the spring and summer months in our familiar, recyclable, half-gallon growler bottle.

Added by erosier on 05-10-2008

3.79/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.92/5  rDev -17.3%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.99/5  rDev +41.4%

Easily my favorite summer time beer, very refreshing and crisp. Usual whitbier flavor with a very nice orange zest after taste.

3.41/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.7/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Great band... er I mean beer, but probably not a great beer. Most of the beers from this brewery are so-so, and I can't verify the date due to it being smudged. Also not my fav style.

Pours a large 2 finger fizzy bubbly head that fades fairly quickly, touches of lacing, somehow crystal clear golden tan color with stream of bubbles floating up.

Nose is mixed with good and meh, a nice wheat base, grassy grainy floral wheat, touches of citrus and floral spices like coriander, but then a weird peanut butter thing, nutty, with a little orange marmalade, and little cracker, so a weird peanutbutter and jelly sandwich in the middle for some weird reason.

Taste is worse unfortunately, thin and watery wheat thing, like a few pieces of wheat and oats steeped in water for a few minutes, touches of orange candy marmalade again, faint spices, again a mild nutty flavor, peanutbutter candy thing, and a little yeasty flavor. Similar to their other beers, a little under attentuated when thrown in the bottle and the yeast just went too far. Finish is thin and watery again, a mild weird bitterness, bit more nutty with mild wheat, and little orange thing.

Mouth is thin and watery, decent carb at best, not even creamy.

Overall just bad. Thing, watery, lacking much character, weird nutty peanutbutter thing, candy thing, too much yeast, etc.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.92/5  rDev -17.3%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. I bought it at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop, but it had shrank from a big azzz jug down to a 12-fl. oz. bottle when I did so. Hee hee.

From the bottle: "Located at the historic Burnside Ice Co."

Ah yes, Ye Olde Burnside B.C., which puts me in mind of the Civil War Army Captain (?)/Major (?) whose facial hair and inverted surname gave rise to the term "Sideburns". The Norm D. had a Food Service Officer at one point whose surname was Burnside. Onward!

I used a penny to prise off the cap and then I began my pour until the pseudo-cascade began to die down, forming two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 5). Nose smelled kind of musty, definitely yeast-driven. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery. The taste was spicy, but it seemed muted. I was definitely a Wit, but one lacking the kind of Ooomph! that would make it memorable. The finish was dry, spicy and pleasant, but not anything to which I would return.

2.81/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with a smudge marking that begins with 2014. Sampled on June 25, 2014.

The look is about right for the style with its foggy, cloudy pale yellow color and tremendous white fizzy head that dissolves quickly. But that was its best characteristic as far as I am concerned.

The aroma is yeasty and really lemon-like to the point that any pale malts and hops are buried.

Thin, watery, unexciting body.

The taste is more akin to a fruit beer with the amount of lemon I pick up. The toasted mats and finish are weak. There is also this sort of vegetable oil thing in the mix. When I see other people review beers like these higher than me I have to wonder if I got a tainted or outdated bottle.

4.83/5  rDev +36.8%

For an orange wit bier...I've never had a better one. Freakin' delicious. Everything that comes out of this brewery is FANTASTIC!!!! I've tried a lot of this variety and absolutely nothing beats the Penny Weiz. I'd take it over anything else. Try one. It's yummy!!!! Now available in 4 packs, usually just $6.99!!!!

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%