Edge City Christmas Ale | Bristol Brewing Company

Style: Winter Warmer

Availability: Fall

Added by russpowell on 12-13-2006

3.07/5  rDev -7%

A: Deep amber with good clarity and minimal carbonation. Slightly soapy head was small and didn't stick around. Left no lace.

S: Lots of candy sugar and cinnamon in the nose, plus some peppermint and nutmeg.

T: To me this, this tasted a bit too much like a spiked peppermint stick. Quite sweet up front with a slight maple flavor. Bitterness comes on with a heavy peppermint taste that's backed by a small amount of cinnamon. Finishes sweet, with a bit of a wintergreen aftertaste.

M: Medium body is slightly syrupy. Carbonation level is right.

D: This beer was certainly different. But I didn't enjoy it that much. It tasted too much like the aforementioned peppermint stick for my tastes.

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

On guest tap at Il Vicino even though they've run dry at the brewery.

A: Dark amber with little head.

S: The 'wetness' that I notice in all Bristol beers jumps out. It's actually almost fleshy and masks a lot of the spicy and bready notes that I imagine to be there. It creates an almost creamy aroma that I don't really dig.

T and M: Bubblegum and spices (cinnamon) dominate, and it has a biting, peppery finish. Again, the fleshiness pokes through and really undoes the overall balance of the beer as it crosses my tongue. The overall impression is a beer that is light and sweet with a strange hodgepodge of flavors that never really gel.

D: The peppery finish makes this really hard to swallow. It's almost medicinal.

Overall, I was disappointed by this beer. Given how tasty some of Bristol's Edge City beers are, I had high hopes here; there are lots of other winter warmers--spiced and not--that I would recommend before giving this one a second thought. Take a pass.

4.53/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amber/tea colored with 3 fingers of off white creamy head. Very good head retention & lacing

S: Cinamon & breadyness, makes me think gingerbread! Slight hints of the saaz hops (grassy/lemony to me)

T: Cinamon, a little breadyness & a some warming alcohol up front. Brown sugar & biscuitty notes follow as the ale warms. Finishes warmy, spicy & with a hint of toffee

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation. Balanced well with quenching wetness that doesn't say watery

Drinks pretty easy despite the abv, I liked this. Some spice beers don't work for me, there is enough heft & restrained use of spice that this marries well. Not sure this would work in a bottle as well (unless you up the alcohol). Delivers on the warming to be sure

Edge City Christmas Ale from Bristol Brewing Company