Double Diamond | Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd

carlsberg.com.my

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2002

4.29/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I miss this beer. Would drive around before social media etc. And buy up all the inventory I could find. Soo good.

2.2/5  rDev -32.3%

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

1.75/5  rDev -46.2%

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.45/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I recently tried this on tap at a local Toronto eatery and found it to be a very boring beer. The colour was a nice golden hue with an off-white head that lingered for a while. The aroma was nothing spectacular, slightly malty but long lasting. The flavour was mild, not strong, not bitter as I had expected. Like other ales I have tried it was slightly thick on the tongue with weak carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer takes awhile to get set up in both temp and head. There is a sulphur note to the nose with a slight note of hops as well. This is a subtle beer( maybe too soft) and the rounded hops notes are sometimes lost. I like this beer but wish that it had more presence as it seems watered down at times

3.71/5  rDev +14.2%

SERVED on tap at a friends English dart club. APPEARANCE was kind of a dull brass with a head of about 1". SMELL was faint, almost disappointing and surprising given the appearance. TASTE was very good, made up for lack of aroma. Kind of creamy and smooth and not bitter. Had a touch of sweetness. MOUTHFEEL was pleasant, not too carbonated and left a pleasant aftertaste. Very DRINKABLE beer where you can find yourself drinking quite a few before you know it. Went well with the English stew we had. Would also go well with a burger and corn on the cob on a hot day. A summer beer if I had to guess. Enjoyable.

3.19/5  rDev -1.8%

Purchased a four pack of cans at a local store that manages to carry beer other than the macros. Poured a creamy white with lots of cascading which resulted in a very creamy head 1 finger thick that stayed around forever. Smell was of very lacking..maybe due to the thick creamy head? Bitter hops on the front end with some lingering 'mineralness' at the back. Nice and creamy mouthfeel...this is a decent ale.

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

This is a solid beer. Reminded me of a tinner bodied Bass Ale. Appearance was copper with a fair amount of lacing. Smell was sweet and grainy; taste was also a tad sweet. The mouthfeel is very smooth and this would make an excellent session beer as it is very easy to drink. I've seen some reviewers call this a "boring" beer, and I can't argue too much with that call, but if you're looking for something light with a little bit of a kick to go with your burger or sandwich, you could choose worse than this.

3.66/5  rDev +12.6%

Took me a while to review this. Bought a can at the NSLC.

Appearance: Pours a an orange-red with a huge thick creamy white head, staying for the remainder of the drink.

Aroma: Hard to get a handle on it but pick up mild citrus and biscuit notes.

Taste: Mild tasting with little complexities. Definite sweetness with a low bitterness, finish of mild fresh blueberries.

Mouthfeel: Honestly, the creamiest beer I've had. The mouthfeel is incredible and makes this beer a mainstay in my fridge. Little to no carbonation.

Final Statement: Sure, I've had more flavourful beers, but this is one of the best session beers I've had. It is so light and creamy, with a beautiful body and head that I keep going back for more.

2.65/5  rDev -18.5%

440ml can poured into a pint glass.

Unimpressive pour, but once poured, it's an odd creamy frothy 1/2 inch nitro head crowning a much paler ale than I thought it was going to be, a very pale copper colour. Lots of lacing. Smell is a bit sweetish, with some banana yeasty notes in there, and some caramel malt. A bit of alcohol and some floral notes as well.

Taste is pretty sweet at first, but there's a fair amout of bittering hops in there too. Caramel malt, some citrus, alcohol, but mostly it's very flavourless. Body is extremely thin, and there's a surprising alcohol burn going down. The thin body makes it slide down easilty, but there's nothing really quality about this beer, it's very boring. I don't think I'd want more than a pint of this before looking for something more adventurous.

2.67/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a caramel color with a good inch of head on it, and a bunch of floating crap in it (I probably shouldn't have poured the whole can, but I didn't know it had sediment). Strong caramel & malt aroma with some floral hints. Tastes a lot like all the other nitro-can beers I've had. Very dry and and not much else in the way of flavor. Mouthfeel is very very creamy. I won't be getting it again unless I see it in a bottle.

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Light copper - much lighter than I expected, with a typical creamy nitro head.

S - Citrusy hops and light grainy notes.

T - Notes of lemon, and a solid up-front bitterness. Aftertaste is somehow less bitter.

M - Creamy, but not as much as some other nitros. Medium bodied with low carbonation.

D - I'm gonna call this an OK beer, certainly not my favorite in-style, and a little lacking in mouthfeel for a nitro can.

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance is amber copper forms an off white nice sized creamy textured head leaves behind even lacing. Aroma has a touch of caramel malt some English herbal earthy hops pretty effin' Fugglish if you ask me. I detect a spicy swetness with a doughy bread fruity tone thrown into the mix some ale complexities...nice. Taste is balanced with the low bittering hops and citrus/earthy tones enough sweetness from some caramel specialty malts and bready yeast tones as the one cat from England's band The Verve said "there's a bitter sweet symphony" going on in this one. In the finish the fruity ale characteristics and citrus peels, flowers, and grass mix together nicely. Mouthfeel is medium to light body range smooth evenly carbonated flows nicely on the palate. Drinkabilitiy...well another tasty English session ale...glad I tried this Burton ale.

Double Diamond from Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd