Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Parkins Special Bitter (Brewed For Sainsbury's Supermarket Plc) | Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd

3.13/5
Okay

Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd
England, United Kingdom
carlsberg.com.my

Style: English Bitter

Added by AEK on 06-25-2010

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Canned & bought without knowledge of it being CARLSBERG
Pours a clear mid brown body with huge foaming slightly off white head that retreats but isn't going anywhere as drinking from a half pint pot
Malt vinegar and cinder toffee aroma
And that's pretty much the flavour
It's to fizzy and it's missing the bitter finish

3.76/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a 500ml can into a Youngs straight pint glass

Pours a clear amber colour, with a decent head descending into about 5 mm of lacing floating on top.

Not much of a noticeable scent, except for a bit of malts.

Taste is a new one for a bitter for me, the main presence is toffee and rich dart fruit sweetness, as well as a alot of malts, and a little hop taste, which is mostly sweet rather than bitter to be honest.

Quite a thick mouthfeel as well.

Overall a canny drop, a bit too sweet and thick for me to choose as my regular bitter, but great value for money.

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%

My brother in law brought a 4 pack of this round a while ago and it has ben stuck in the fridge ever since. Decided to give it a go as I didn't want to open up a bottle of 'nectar', I needed something to quench my thirst. I thought it would be totally naff but I was pleasantly surprised considering it is only a very cheap offering.

A. Seville orange in colour. Had a white head that unfortunately disappeared faster than a flash of lightning, well almost as fast.

S. Fruity malt and caramel.

T. Nice fruity malt, some toffee notes and a low hop presence.

M. Medium bodied and slightly carbonated.

D. Much smoother than I was expecting. Quite a good beer for its low price. Worth trying if you already haven't done so far.

Parkins Special Bitter (Brewed For Sainsbury's Supermarket Plc) from Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd