Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pumpkin Ale | BrickHouse Brewery

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by plaid75 on 10-15-2006

Reviews by plaid75:

Poured a light copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured fresh pumpkin and mild allspice aromas. There was a solid grain as well.

The taste also featured a fresh pumpkin flavor with a compliment of allspice and cinammon. There was a serious biscuity grain as well.

The mouthfeel was good, not overly carbonated.

Overall a very good and fresh pumpkin ale. Very drinkable. If it could only be more than just a seasonal offering.

This pumpkin beer poured nicely with a small fluffy head that hung around almost till the beer was gone. It's definitely lighter than most pumpkin ales but it isnt a bad thing at all in this case. The flavor is very crisp and refreshing. No artificial tasting flavors in here. The spice is just enough but not overpowering. I could drink a ton of these! It's also currently (11/28/06) on tap at The Bellport in Bellport village where the chef Taylor insists its great with a slice of orange and a rim of brown sugar. I'd never head of pairing a pumpkin ale with an orange slice and I couldnt make up my mind whether I liked it or not. The brown sugar is pretty common with pumpkin ales at brewpubs and Brickhouse will do the same unless you tell them to hold it. Overall a wonderfully drinkable pumpkin ale.

3.89/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer pours a very pale amber color with a small white head. To be honest it didn't look much like a pumpkin brew, so I was skeptical. The aroma was sweet and spicy, with hints of nutmeg and cinnamon.

Fortunately my skepticism was unfounded, as this is a tasty pumpkin ale. Sweet nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin flavors compliment the caramel malt without becoming too sweet or spice-filled. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, it's light, sweet, and an easy drinker. Nicely done.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

I gave it a try first as part of their sampler. I noticed something around the rim of the tasting glass...dirt? Residue? It was a cinnamon-y/sugar combo...the rim of the glass was dipped in, sort of a marguerita/salt style.

I am sure many "serious" beer drinkers would scoff at the notion, but it was good and added a nice festive touch to the ale. I even ordered a pint after the sampler.

The beer itself had a dark coppery color. It smelled pleasant,with gentle hints of the spicy, nutmeg aroma. It was not overpowering. A pleasant, smooth drink.

Pumpkin beers can be hit or miss. This was a hit. Drinkable and smooth. Sweet, but not too too sweet (I am sure you can ask for no suger on the rim if you want as well).

Pumpkin Ale from BrickHouse Brewery