Dunkelweizen Brewers Reserve | River Horse Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

River Horse Brewing Co.
New Jersey, United States
riverhorse.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-18-2011

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have committed a cardinal sin in reviewing and read a few reviews before submitting my own. The aroma and taste of banana bread definitely do come through, so I can't say the integrity of this review has been compromised.

Appearance: I poured it into a frosted glass, waited for the glass to clear up, and this thing looks beautiful. A dark amber color with a short, quickly dissipating head. Not a lot of legs going down the glass as I'm drinking it, which is a bit disappointing.

Smell: Fresh baked banana bread is a flawless description. Definitely chocolate coming through as well and some caramel.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, chocolatey, malty and some bitter hop characteristics. I think a bit more hoppiness would have made this taste perfect as the beer could hold up to it.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth, a bit of carbonation, refreshing and substantial at the same time. Doesn't leave you bloated. For the taste I'm getting from this beer, for it to be this drinkable is commendable.

Overall: Love this one, got it in a variety pack and will be doing my best to stock up. A definite hit for the autumn/winter and would go very well with some lamb or even a chocolate dessert.

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

A-Pours a strange mixture of brown and amber. Minute head is only a thin layer. Head leaves jagged lacing.

S-Chocolate, banana, bread. Chocolatey banana bread. Wheat and caramel. Light yeast.

T-Smooth taste. Banana bread. Light chocolate. Alcohol stands out a bit. Quite sweet. Easy drinking flavor.

M-Carbonation is set well. Medium bodied. A bit slick. Very smooth. Almost creamy.

O/D-Out of the variety pack, this one is pretty decent. Not my favorite style, but I like this one more than I like two others. An smooth beer. Not very memorable, but I have no problems with this beer.

3.79/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Cloudy ruby tinted amber. Some lacing ontop.

S - Sweet wheat aromas. Some medicinal and smokey notes. Banana and earthy scents.

T - Sweet dry wheat. Mildly roasty flavors with a dry grainy profile. Chalky yeast with some sweet alcohol and banana. Subtly spiced.

M - Warm and hearty with a semi dry body.

O - Nice dunkelweizen from this local brewery. Will be ocking up more for fall.

Dunkelweizen Brewers Reserve from River Horse Brewing Co.