Summer Splash

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Summer SplashSummer Splash
Notes: An all natural blend of Meyer Lemon and orange flavors.
View: Beers
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 7 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Scrapss from Pennsylvania

3.66/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a glass .5 liter dimplestein. Dated 2019/04/29 (EGAD)

A: pours a smooth light yellow with a two finger head that compacts to a 2mm full disk. minimal lacing. minor carbo.

S: very Belgian yeast profile, minor meyer lemon and citrus notes. malt is more minor than citrus and plays a backbone role. (EDIT: Woody got it right, it's straight up TRIX cereal!)

T: not as citric/acidic as the nose would suggest. surprising notes of doughy yeast and esters abound. Pleasant enough.

M: slick, light-medium bodied as the bill would present and expect, slightly creamy mid-palate then light chalkiness at the edge of the tongue. the bitterness definitely is muted and is balanced between the meyer lemon and whatever the hops might be bringing, it's light bitterness. not terrible smei-dry finish, and it's a citrus fruit dryness at its core.

O: I could crush the heck out of these on a super hot day. Not bad.

Apr 28, 2020
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Hoppy Yeaster Sunday (2020) to all of my beer & bread peeps! The dough has risen! I am continuing to purge the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody/L'Abbaye de ChANdler while The CANQuest (tm) waits patiently in abeyance. If there was a silver lining to the COVID-19 cloud, it is my quarantine with all of this beer to be drank! This one came from The Beer & Beverage Shoppe on Roseville Road.

From the Bottle: "1872"; "Peter Straub Signature Brews Summer Splash"; "An all natural blend of Meyer Lemon & Orange flavors"; "7 IBU".

Sadly, they still employ those screwed-up screw-off caps, depriving me of even the opportunity to Pop! the cap. 8=( No matter, I simply took out my frustration in the form of an aggro pour. Not unexpectedly, I got two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, roiling, bone-white head for my efforts, but they reduced to wisps VERY quickly! Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a spritzy citrusiness that put me in mind of Trix cereal, something that I have not eaten in a long time, so maybe my recollection is off, but I don't think so. This was not the bitter citrusiness of grapefruit-lemon, but sweeter, with an orange-lemon tang/twangy sweetness. Hmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much past it. Taste had a lemony-orange spritziness that put me in mind of a hard seltzer. Yes, I've drank them, mostly for the CAN to be passed on to Jeff Lebo. They, just like this, lack Ooomph!, both in terms of taste and alcohol. This is where keeping vodka-flavored vodka comes in VERY handy. I did not adulterate this beer with liquor, but it needed help. Finish was light, semi-dry, a nice option in the Summer, perhaps, but I was not felling it in confinement. YMMV.

Apr 12, 2020
DrDemento456 from Pennsylvania

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rather lager like appearance very clear bright yellow with an impressive half-inch of frothy foam. Smell is very orange like got to admit plenty of lemon and orange peel zest. Taste is also quite nice as a nice sweet malt to it like a sugared corn cereal with a good orange fruit flavor. Body is expected very light get fruity and easy to crush. overall I wasn't expecting much but this is a very good summer beer I would enjoy on occasion.

Jun 19, 2019