Stadelbrau Helles Lagerbier | Macedonian Thrace Brewery

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by BlackHaddock on 05-17-2009

3.16/5  rDev +29.5%

2.53/5  rDev +3.7%

Bought this at the Carrefour in Varna, BG, and was disappointed to find upon returning home that this wasn't, in fact, a German beer.

Poured from the 330mL can into a standard pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, standard. Head was pure white, very bubbly, and faded out in about 30 seconds.

S: Somewhat soapy with a metallic hint. Hop is leafy, but beyond that no profile at all.

T: Soapy again. Aside from that, watery and tasteless. Finish is somewhat sweet with a dry and slightly metallic finish.

Notes: A poor deception of a helles bier. Avoid.

2.27/5  rDev -7%

I reviewed this beer while on the holiday island of Skiathos in May 2009. The labelling on the can claimed 'Original Braurei Abfullung', on closer inspection I discovered the 'Original Braurei' to be an industrial estate somewhere in Greece, not in Bavaria as I was conned into thinking.

Anyway, the beer from the 0.33 litre can was poured into a tumbler and drank on my balcony with a view to die for! Pity the beer didn't live up to the view.

Very pale golden body, plenty of carbonisation and a huge white head. Sadly the head fell away almost as soon as it appeared. The beer was clear, but didn't have than sparkling brightness I have come to expect of the Helles style.

The aroma wasn't there, gets my standard 3 for lager/pils non-smell.

The beer was both tasteless and dry, a bland, poor excuse for a lager/helles/pils.

Metallic aftertaste.

Even though I was at one with the world and everything was fine I couldn't find it within myself to rate this beer any higher. It's labelling is a con-trick and the quality was poor throughout.

Stadelbrau Helles Lagerbier from Macedonian Thrace Brewery