Sint Canarus Tripel | Huisbrouwerij Sint Canarus

Style: Tripel

Added by stcules on 03-14-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

2.19/5  rDev -38.3%

Massive fan of this style. When done right, there are few better. This one, however, simply fails to wow.

STYLE: Belgian Tripel

ABV: 7.5%

LOOK: Poured into my Orval goblet. Years after my first experience, I’m still fascinated by these cloudy Belgians. The color, a dirty orange.

NOSE: Atypical. And I’m not sure I mean that in a good way. It reminds me more of a Euro Pale Lager than a sweet, complex treat. I might have wasted the wide glass on this one. Bready, canned, and light earth. Really really surprised by the lack of fruit, sweet malts, and general balance.

MOUTH: Unsweetened banana bread, lagerish, soggy. If people are harder on those they expect more from, maybe I’m not quite the cynical contrarian I fancy myself to be. Again, I love this style. But I honestly feel like I can say this tastes too much like the brownish water in canned green beans. The rest is maybe irrelevant, though the curious might want to know anyway: medium weight, decent mouthfeel, dry finish. There, am I done now?

Beeradvocate Rating: 81*

ratebeer Rating: 78

Hayward Abbey Rating: 68

* Based on a relatively insignificant 29 reviews.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A snapping sounding carbonation out of the bottle, hits with an off white head, it looks very soapy, very shampoo like, but it manages lots of lacing and retention and clumpy character. Body color is slightly hazy, but mostly a nice orange orb glowing, with classic white pinhead rising carbonation. Nice looking brew.

Nose is alright and fairly solid. A real dry spiced clove sense. Fruit apple and delicious chew bursting flesh. Fairly simple but pretty good. After some time though, the nose doesn't really become obvious. You really need to snort it.

Taste is kind of neutral. Fruit angle hinting of apple on the nose doesn't seem to come through with a bit of a wet angle. Very dry finish, even an almost woody tannic quality to it as all, and a big dry mouth on the finish.

Overall it's not bad, but certainly not a tripel that I would jump at the chance of trying again.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Served from tap into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a pale yellow-orange with a three finger white head that subsided to a half finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, spice, tart, fruit, bread, and wheat. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, fruit, banana, spice, earth, and bread. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. I went into this one not really expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised upon inspection. There was a nice balance of flavors and aromas going on here while making it fairly complex at the same time. The breadiness was a very nice touch and helped to tie some of the notes on this one together. Definitely worth trying if you get the opportunity and are a big fan of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Review from 7/2011 notes. Poured into a tall cylinder glass. Pours a hazy, light orange amber, thick three finger head and massive lacing. Aroma of light fruit, spices and light malt caramel malt. Flavor of caramel, light fruit, brown sugar and light spicing. Nice light hops finish. Not complex, but very nicely balanced and very tasty. I will buy again.

3.36/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Pours a hazy orange with three fingers of billowing white head that fades into a dense cap with excellent lacing.

S: Belgian spices up front followed by lots of candy sugar and bubblegum. There are also light aromas of pears and white grapes. The finish smells of chalky yeast.

T: Lots of spices and strong yeasty characters dominate the flavor. I decanted the pour, but the yeast characters dominate with spicy and bitter notes.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer is a bit underattenuated and could use more carbonation. The heavy yeast character doesn't help.

O: Not a bad tripel, but not particularly good, either. It looks great and smells nice, but the flavor and body are a big letdown.

2.98/5  rDev -16.1%

A- Easy to develop head, big poofy edges like cotton balls and puppydog tails, mild to creamy pharmaceutical emulsion in the center above a chilled honey color. It has low lacing, but great retention time. This is the Michael Jordan of hang-time when comparing it to previous beers I've reviewed this week.

S- Straw, sharp spice notes, pilsner malt, ethanol. Very light aroma, not much strength or lingering power. Faint orange slice acidity, the bouquet that wafts at you from across the room making you wonder who could possibly be opening an orange right now.

T- Opens light bitterness, straw, grass, and lingers with that. There is that unmistakeable pilsner malt flavor, misplaced ethanol power, and belgian yeast. Its like a sweet hay flavor making me think brett. The finish is insanely dry and very clean.

M- Super crisp right off the bat. Like, SLAM BAM thank you sam! But my name isn't sam, and I don't want this. Fuck off, give me some time to understand you! No! DON'T TOUCH MY PALATE LIKE THAT! Ahh! Why won't it fade, its slick... it rushes into all my crevices, the oily nature of it, the fluid thin power. Its... its touching me and I don't want it to. When its finished, I can't help but keep feeling its bitter nature all over my tongue... reminding me.. taunting me. You. Will. Not. Forget. ME.

It doesn't have much going for complexity, and its mouthfeel drives me up a wall. It has imperial pilsner characteristics but also makes me think of belgian pale ale. Really, really light and crisp belgian pale ale.

4.08/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a cloudy, dark golden orange color with a frothy, two finger white head that has excellent retention, onlsy slowly fadig into a thick lasting cap. Sporadic streaks and spots
of lacing left behind.

Sweet, slightly spicy aroma with lots of estery fruit notes and bready yeast. Hints of pepper, candy sugar and coriander along with alcohol phenols, apple, pear and grape.

Medium body with soft carbonation and a nice spicy presence that lingers over the crisp, light fruit notes into a slightly dry finish. Hints of pepper and candy sugar followed by some apple and pear before finishing with slight boozy sweetness. Well balanced, flavorful and easy to put down.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast