Java Jolt | Darwin Brewery Ltd.

Liked This Beer
2.2 w/ 1 ratings

Darwin Brewery Ltd.
England, United Kingdom
darwinbrewery.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by foamer on 04-17-2005

Liked:
2.2/5
Alströms:

Reviews by foamer:
2.2/5  rDev 0%

Sampled at the CAMRA Paisley Beer Festival, April 16.

I'm calling this one a dark mild, but it's a tough call - it really doesn't fit into any category. Pours a dark brown with a ruby hue. Little bubbly head which leaves little lacing. Not the prettiest beer I've ever laid eyes upon. Aroma is...interesting. Very, very strong, overpowering notes of roasted espresso beans. Really quite overpowering - you can smell nothing else. Quite literally a jolt of java. Might be your thing, I don't know. The taste is where it goes downhill for me. It's like drinking a cold cup of coffee. Balance seems to have been thrown out the window and no beer flavour is particularly evident. I did not enjoy this. The bartender tried it and offered to heat it up and put it in a mug for me. The mouthfeel was so-so. Smooth from the cask-conditioning, but rather watery. I'm going to give it a 2 for drinkability. Cold coffee may be your thing, who knows. If it is, then great - this beer is for you. I'm not sure whether it'll stay around. It isn't on their website, so may it was just a test beer. I hope so. I can't imagine many pubs wasting the cellar space.

Java Jolt from Darwin Brewery Ltd.
Beer rating: 0 out of 100 with 1 ratings