Stump Grinder Stout | Keweenaw Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Keweenaw Brewing Company
keweenawbrewing.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by weizenbob on 04-02-2011

3.25/5  rDev +8%

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

This was on nitro-tap at the Keweenaw Brewing Taproom 4/1/11, and served in a pint tumbler. The tap list did not indicate that this would be a nitro stout but it was a pleasant surprise to see that familiar lazy agitation through the glass. The beer took a very long time to set up, but once it finally did I had about half a finger of creamy, khaki colored nitro head atop a motionless black stout. Per usual for nitro, the head was retained throughout the course of the entire drink, but for as long as this beer took to initially settle it was still disappointingly average looking.

The aroma was earthy. My nose is telling me dry stout but a quick check of the KBC website informs me that Stump Grinder is actually an oatmeal stout. There is a mild fruity character and lots of roasted barley. It is fairly aromatic considering it's on nitro but for the most part it is still understated on the nose.

The flavor is a one-trick pony, and heaps of roasted malt is the name of the game. There is a hint of pear-like sweetness lingering behind all that malt. Missing is any detectable alcohol or hop bitterness. Unfortunately it comes off as gritty and unrefined. Simplicity can be good, but as an oatmeal stout, this beer is underperforming.

Stump Grinder is light bodied. Although I enjoy a good nitro stout I believe that this particular beer would benefit from natural carbonation in both flavor and feel. The oats do provide a mild creaminess, but the lack of carbonation leaves this beer feeling pretty thin. As such, Stump Grinder is pretty easy drinking. But as it underwhelms in every other category, it's not something that I'm excited about revisiting. There are better beers on the tap list.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don't give a Schlitz for Stump Grinder. On a side note, I can get a six-pack of Schlitz Tallboys up here for around $4, not to mention that KBC's canned offerings are about 30% cheaper here than back home. Score!

Stump Grinder Stout from Keweenaw Brewing Company