Tri-Pepper Pilsener | Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Liked This Beer
3.91 w/ 31 ratings

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Wisconsin, United States
greatdanepub.com

Style: Chile Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Summer

Added by cokes on 07-12-2005

Liked:
3.91/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.77/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Tri Pepper Pils pours a golden color with no head. There is a strong hot pepper aroma, a mixture of many different peppers. Taste has a mellow but noticeable malty backbone, with lots of pepper spices. Full flavors, especially with the pepper flavors. Overall a very nice and rich pepper infused beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.67/5  rDev +19.4%

Let me start off by saying this--I'm usually not a fan of the Great Dane's beers...at all. They're alright, but nothing is really that good and they don't like to get creative with anything.

Well, until the Tri-Pepper Pilsener. What a surprise! This is a polarizing one for sure, but totally worth it.

Strong, strong pepper aroma. Definitely inflames the nostrils when you smell it, but loads of bell pepper and jalapeno are what I get. Taste is incredible...absolutely incredible. It's really spicy, hot, and delicious! Clean and crisp Pilsener body with the hot, refreshing spiciness of the pepper makes this a winning beer.

If you hate spicy foods, you'll hate this beer. But if you love spicy? Well, you'll be in heaven.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Enjoyed on tap at the downtown brewpub. I expected to enjoy this chile beer, and I did. One of thei best. Lacey thpugh light coloured. 30 IBU and 5.4% abv but the story is the hot peppers and its freshness was enjoyable. Fuller mouthfeel, I drank this down and it was refreshing and spicy.

2.74/5  rDev -29.9%

TO: MasterSki
c/o CCR

Friend and Good Sir:

Our friend and generous sir Ethan recently procurred a growler of this beer to commemorate the anniversary of our country's independece. To one who originally resides in lands far away, I salute you for celebrating our day with us, even if it does not hold the same significance for yourself.

I do find your public discourse on a this beer we consumed together rather curious. I do agree with your finding that the brew was a fine and good stylistic example of what a pilsener should look like, with its transparent golden color, and white head.

Unlike yourself, I found the smell and taste to be less than desirable. The smell of fresh green and other bell peppers is pleasant enough, but in a beer, it is at best a novelty and woefully misplaced.

The taste was much the same, some light pilsner style malt and the shockingly strong taste of bell peppers. It led me to the question, why would you this much green pepper in a beer? Why would you put any green pepper in a beer? The garnishing of your glass with a yellow bell peppers seemed to me like the fire department turning a flame-thrower onto a burning building. Adding more of a bad thing to a bad thing does not make a good thing.

While the body and carbonation were appropriate, I did not find this beer to be "Excellent" as you have indicated, rather a bizzare take on a style that doesn't have the needed muscle to stand up to the overly vegetable addition. If we do encounter this again, I will gladly pass my serving onto yourself.

Cheers!

AZ

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Huge thanks to Ethan (whartontallboy) for knocking off a longtime want. Served in a Russian River tulip, with yellow and orange pepper garnish.

A - A finger of white foam quickly settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, leaving a few spots of lace. Transparent golden color. Looks like a pilsener alright.

S - Green bell peppers. Perhaps some red pepper too. Black pepper? Not much else to report here.

T - The taste has a bit of pilsner malt sweetness, but it is well into the periphery. Pretty much tastes like bell peppers, with perhaps a hint of jalapeño.

M - A crisp refreshing lager. Medium-light in body, with a little lower carbonation than I prefer. Chili pepper heat is present in the finish, but never reaches atomic levels.

D - I refilled my glasses a few times, but I think I liked this one far more than most. I suspect a third of the growler will be used for cooking, but I imagine the results will be quite delicious. If you like peppers and chili beer this is a must-try.

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

Sampled on draught at the downtown Madison, Wisconsin brewpub. Pours a clear golden copper brew with a creamy off white head that has some excellent retention and lacing. Aroma of green and red bell peppers, a touch of golden grain malt and more herbal spices. Taste is medium bodied, light carbonated with distinct green bell peppers, golden grain malt and black pepper. Finish starts mildly spicy and then a lingering spice burn that slowly goes away. Woo, this beer doesn't cut it for me! This beer is perfect for someone looking for an interesting challenge for his/her taste buds.

Cloudy, light color. The smell attacks your nose with a strong pepper aroma (in a good way), and the taste of pepper is as strong. It burns your mouth a little, tingles down your throat as you drink it, and warms your insides. The pepper taste is not overwhelming though, there is still a nice pilsner taste. It is definitely for sipping, but is very drinkable despite the pepper. It is by far the beer I miss the most since moving away from Madison.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

on tap @ the Great Dane downtown

Pours a pale yellow color - it actually starts to look a little darker in the middle, very clear, with kind of a thin head. It leaves a little lacing, but not a whole lot. The smell of dried peppers rises up to my nose, like red pepper flakes - that's the first bit that I smell. Then you get the flesh, like a fresh cut bell or jalapeno. I can also smell a bit of earthy, kind of herbal hops. There's a hint of powdery malts, but still smells very dry. The peppers smell a bit scary...I'm afraid of the burn a little, but this has to be the best chile beer I've ever smelled. The taste starts and finishes with pepper...pepper...pepper. It's not all spice though, to be honest. There's a good taste of the pepper's flesh, which I really love. There's a nice crispness to the heat. It sort of comes up, suggests to you that it's there, then fades a bit in the finish. The malt flavor is a bit powdery, like freshly crushed pale and pilsenser malts, but I'll be goddamned if the peppers don't get there first. The spice is really incredible, not bad incredible, but the kind of spice I love. This one again, stand up higher than most of the competition, while still not being the most enjoyable style. The head really adds to the feel of this beer, whether in your mouth or your stomach. Makes it feel a bit full, though I imagine that the beer itself is a bit on the thin side of medium. Either way, it kind of feels like a pilsenser, but with a bit of fire. This one is definitely a sipper. I actually really enjoy it though. Worth a show if you go to the brewpub and are looking to cross a style off the list. Or if you're a fan of a bit of spice. A good beer.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of strong pepper! Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Wow, what a spicy burn. Tastes of great fresh peppers (used to other chile beers with nothing close to this flavor of freshness) and some very slight yeast cleanliness. Overall, easily the best chile beer I've ever had.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Tri-Pepper Pilsener from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Beer rating: 77.4% out of 100 with 31 ratings