Sesquicentennial Ale | Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)

Awaiting More Ratings

Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)
Wisconsin, United States
greatdanepub.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by DaPeculierDane on 04-10-2006

3.3

Reviews by beveragecaptain:
3.03/5  rDev 0%

This beer was labeled "150th Ale" when I sampled it. I believe it was cask, but I'm not 100% certain. This beer poured out a dark brown color with a reddish tint. The aroma was a slightly weak, tangy, fruity smell that I did not find very appealing. The flavor was similar to the aroma. It's a thin, tangy flavor. When I asked about this beer, I was told it was a nut brown ale. I expected it to be malty, but there was little malt flavor. Mouthfeel was thin with a low carbonation. I finished my pint just fine, but I did not feel like having another. There's nothing bad about this beer, but there's not much good either. A mediocre, disappointing beer, as Great Dane beers go.

3.57/5  rDev 0%

The city of Madison, WI turned 150 years old on Friday, April 7th, at least according to the local authorities. In honor of our fine progressive utopia’s sesquicentennial, the Great Dane has brewed an American Brown.

I believe that this beer is largely a redux of the “American Brown” from last fall, however, I do make out one strong difference. This brew’s aroma has a nice tart/sour character. Otherwise its aromas are clearly on the floral hop end of things with a touch of biscuit malt. Appearance is ok, good color but a tad light. The body is a transparent grizzly brown with a thin tan head. Taste is light, fruity, and very twangy. Mouthfeel is very light, far too light unfortunately. On the plus side this does add to the drinkability. This one is very sessionable.

Not bad but not worth a lot of attention.

Update: I made two mistakes when I added and reviewed this beer:
1. The correct name is: SesquicentenniAle
2. It's on cask, not on tap.

Sesquicentennial Ale from Great Dane Pub & Brewing Company (Downtown)