Boxer Lager | Mountain Crest Liquors

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by IronDjinn on 07-01-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.45/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

1.75/5  rDev -17.5%

1.75/5  rDev -17.5%

2.25/5  rDev +6.1%

2.75/5  rDev +29.7%

1.5/5  rDev -29.2%

2.25/5  rDev +6.1%

This is the shittiest beer I've ever had in my life. I drink cheap beer when I have to, but this is just god-awful. I took it out back and shot it with the 12 gauge. Do not buy this. Spend your money on a six pack of Snake Dog IPA and 2 40s.

Look: Clearish gold...
Taste: Like metal and water... sweet and malty.
M: Like shit. This beer is terrible.
Overall: I would rather drink any other cheap beer (in the event that I had to) any day over this.

Sorry for hating, I love beer, but this doesn't even deserve to be called such.

1.5/5  rDev -29.2%

2.33/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

355 mL can from TBS; no freshness date. This stuff seemed to be reasonably popular out west (it was one of the better-selling brands at the liquor store I worked at for a while), but I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone in Ontario purchase this. Is that because it's genuinely awful? Or is it just a bit of a latecomer to the (oversaturated) Eastern Canadian value-brand lager market? Stay tuned for the riveting conclusion.

Pours a clear golden-yellow colour, topped with slightly more than one finger of soapy, frothy white head. It fizzles away over the next few minutes; the foam is a little more resilient than your average macro lager, I guess, but not by much. At least it leaves a decent swath of lacing behind before it finally wilts into a thin film at the surface. Looks fine, but the aroma leaves a lot to be desired - it is unabashedly sickly-sweet, with loads of corny adjunct, corn syrup, green apple skin, and not much else. Pretty unappealing even by macro lager standards.

I tried Boxer Ice a few months ago, and as one might expect, this stuff tastes essentially the same, with slightly less booziness being the only discernible difference. Corn syrup is by far the most dominant facet of the flavour, accompanied by notes of green appleskin. That cotton candy/bubble gum flavour I notice in all Minhas beers remains difficult to ignore, and contributes to this brew's unrelenting sweetness. The finish is a little fruity, and doesn't linger long. Thin-bodied and watery, with moderate carbonation that really allows the fruity/sweet aspects of the flavour to come through - whether this is an advantage or not is probably a judgment best made on an individual basis. I don't mind it, but I can see why it might make others gag. Drinkable enough, but not something I'd want to pound all night, as I imagine the sweetness would become annoying after a while.

Final Grade: 2.35, a disappointing D+ grade. As flawed as this beer undeniably is, it honestly doesn't offend me all that much. Yeah it tastes weird - but at least it's noticeably different from the vast majority of nearly identical value-brand lagers available these days. There's something to be said for originality. One thing I will say is that Boxer Lager has no semblance of balance whatsoever - there is only sweet adjunct flavour, with no hint of anything resembling hops, and relatively (for the style) low carbonation that does nothing to mask its saccharine nature.

I'll probably be pretty sick of this stuff by the time I finish the 12-pack, and I doubt I'll buy it again because there are numerous undoubtedly superior value lagers available in Ontario. But if you're broke (like me) and need a cheap beer to toss back, Boxer Lager might be worth a test run. Of course, self-respecting BAs are best served by avoiding it entirely, except for perhaps the most masochistic.

2.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Not much to say about this lager. Picked it up for a dollar at the House of 1,000 beers. Color is a pale yellow with a fairly good amount of head. As expected it fizzes out rather quickly.

Smells of green apples (sour) with mild lager tones. Mostly dry rough grains and some yeasty sourness.

I didn't really like the taste. It had a sour apple kind of taste that distracts from typical corn or sweet malts.

Mouthfeel is as good as it is for a lager. Fizzy, light and somewhat refreshing,

Overall I will not buy it again. Taste is almost as sour as Heineken. Don't buy it if given the option.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast