Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Availability: Fall

The Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter is deep, rich and velvety soft. A full blooded roasty character with almost no burnt flavor is balanced by complex alcohol notes. Strong (9% alcohol by volume) yet unfailingly subtle, this special brew rewards unhurried attention. Enjoy!

Added by GCBrewingCo on 08-10-2006

Liked:
4.08/5
Alströms:

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2017-05-23
12oz bottle served in a tulip. I don't see a date on it. Given to me by @mr-jj.

Pours black with almost no head, and only a little very fine, very slow carbonation. Smell is roasty, anise, coffee.

Taste is very roasty, without tasting burnt. Moderate sweetness. This is a really nice example of a porter, well balanced in all dimensions.

Mouthfeel is thickish but a bit too still. Overall, definitely a recommendable porter.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

1.97/5  rDev -51.7%

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up while vacationing in NC.

Poured near black with a slight hint of garnet showing at the base of the glass. Minimal head that dissipated to a ring quickly.

I got a bit of roasted malt and cocoa on the nose.

Same thing when I took a sip...with a slightly sweet dry finish. Medium bodied with subtle carbonation.

This would make an excellent cigar beer on a Saturday evening!

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

04/22/15
05/13/15
Appearance is dark black with small tannish head.
Aroma is all toasted malt.
Taste is malt, with little hints of coffee and chocolate.
Smooth feel.
A very solid porter.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I am becoming a true believer in the "Dark Beer Specialist" brewer...

Another DR offering, another one from their small-batch series, and another one that just blew me away. Though it had no head or lacing to speak of, it was a beautifully dark beer - no denying that. The smell was special - a perfect mix of booziness, sweet tang, and a nutty base I just can't put my finger on. This is the same I can say for the taste - a definite nutty taste, slightly sweet, and quite possibly the best porter I have had to date. Mouthfeel was lightly carbonated but astringent - no big deal, but it's definitely there. Overall, a truly special beer from a brewer that might be pushing its way on to my top-5.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

9-3-2017 Update: This is an amazing beer. Increasing smell and overall.

12oz bottle, I couldn't find a bottled on date. I had side-by-side with a Zywiec Porter (at 9.1%?)

This was a great beer, and, although the Zywiec was really good, the Duck-Rabbit out-shined it in about every respect.

4.79/5  rDev +17.4%

This porter is as pleasantly suprising and stunning as Olivia Munn in the opening of Magic Mike.
Ironically, there's a thin line between porters and stouts; it's ironic because both styles are delightfully rich. The nose on this porter smells chocolatety and rich, and there's definitely a rich cocoa bath on the tongue. Okay, I need to calm down. Because this Duck-Rabbit is so rich that its roasted chocolate tone lingers. I will need a moment.

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought on recommendation. A great compromise for my imperial stout wife and my porter palate. Pours beautifully dark and thick and (for us) is the perfect combination of smooth malt and mild hoppiness. It is fairly expensive at $12.99/6 pack but it is so darn tasty we bought the last three sixers at our area "spirits warehouse." Unfortunately in our county I believe I have only one retailer carrying it. I sent a complimentary email to the brewer with a couple of questions about the beer but I have not had a reply in over 3 weeks. I also left a voicemail asking about distribution in east Central Florida (along with bountiful praise) and also did not receive a reply. My take: awesome beer and horrible consumer response. This old marketing guy never understands why businesses fail to communicate with happy buyers.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very dark black with a deep tan head. 1 finger head from the 12 oz. bottle. Decent retention... for a porter. Smells of charred grains, roasted nuts, and coffee. Tastes rich and chocolatey. Slight coffee and tobacco. Some nutty flavors. Really dry roasted. Not much sweetness. Nice mouthfeel. Pretty thick and oily. Overall it is a really good porter. I like my Baltic Porters a bit more sweet and chocolatey. I feel that if a Porter gets really dry and "burnt" tasting, then it is more Stout like or more like a Robust Porter. Great beer none the less.

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

The black beer is served in a small tulip with a 1/4" tan head that slowly recedes to the surface leaving a ring and some small patches of lacing that never entirely disappear. Sipping creates scattered patches of lacing.

The aromas include chocolate and roasted malt.

The flavors are much as expected from the nose with the chocolate and dark roasted malt in charge. There is not even a hint of burnt character in this one and the sweetness and bitterness are noticeable and well balanced but not at all unpleasant. The alcohol is well concealed.

The mouth feel is on the full side of medium-bodied and smooth with the gentle carbonation. The finish begins as the chocolate and sweetness recede into the background first to then be followed by the roasted malt and hop bitterness as the whole turns into that dryness that invites another ship.

This is a really nice beer that is well worth sipping both for its complexity and the high ABV. Not only would I like to have a second but I intend to keep an eye open the bottled version to add to my list of occasional treats.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Good looking dark beer with that peanut butter colored head. Great nose with the smell of coffee and a little dark chocolate coming behind it. With a ABV of 9% the alcohol is hidden well in the beer with no strong boozy taste. This beer is a hidden treasure. With a beer of this ABV and flavor that comes with a cheap retail price ? I'm glad I tried it for the first time. It will not be my last !!!!!! Good beer and reminds me of an Old Rasputin

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This has been on my wants list for 8 years. It just turned up at a local store, unfortunately it's best by 7/16. But it's 9%, so it should be good, no?

Very little carbonation or head.

Aroma of black strap molasses, licorice, dark raisins, rye bread.

Showing a little oxidation, but some nice flavour... Molasses, licorice, bakers chocolate, rye bread, raisin, dark rum. Restrained bitterness.

Moderate to full body has a light residual sweetness, with a drying finish. A bit flat.

Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery