Saranac Chocolate Orange | Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery

good
Read the review
Saranac Chocolate OrangeSaranac Chocolate Orange

Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery
New York, United States
saranac.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Saranac Chocolate Orange is a limited edition small batch brew from our "High Peaks" series, a line of beers that are bigger, more complex and flavorful. Brewed as a full bodied robust Baltic-style porter with five different hops and four different malts, this beer pushes the porter style to a new level.

We start with generous amounts of chocolate malt, and then add blood orange peel. In fermentation, the finest hand-selected, purest cacao nibs are added to enhance the chocolate malt flavor. Look for a dark chocolate roasted flavor finished off with a unique surprise from blood orange peel, making this an extra special treat!

Added by CloudStrife on 03-02-2012

2.7/5  rDev -30.1%

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The concept of this beer was the selling point. Chocolate and orange flavored beer sounded like a winner to my wife and I.

The aroma was not as advertised. With orange being the buzzword for me, I got none of it. I did get roasty/chocolate, but that was it. Halfway through my 1st beer, I was struggling to figure out what I tasted. I did get chocolate, but it wasn't meshing well with what I thought was supposed to be orange. Speaking of orange.. I couldn't find it all. I took a minute or two to let the beer warm up a bit.. hoping that would bring out more of the flavor(s). The delay didn't help, and I was informed by my better half, that I wasn't alone.

As for feel.. it was not bad, imperial-like smooth.

Overall, I think my beer tasting is par, or just over par (golf speaking).. but this left me scratching my head.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

A: [3.50] Dark brown to black beer. Forms 1/2 finger of tan head. The head didn't form until late in the pur and it was gone right away (astonishingly fast). The bottle lists the ABV (9.0%). There is a date code which says this was made (09/21/15).

S: [3.00] Not sure I get orange. I am smelling caramel, dried cherries and hints of roasted malts.

T: [3.00] Similar to the nose but roasted malts up front. Then some cocoa and dried cherry flavor.

M: [3.00] Decent heft to the beer. Low carbonation gives added slickness to the body. The beer has a surprisingly bitter finish for a porter. It may be cocoa bitterness more than hop bitterness.

O: [3.00] Conceptually I like this idea but I am getting no orange flavor anywhere. The cocoa is coming through but it is muddied by the fruit (I am getting cherry) flavors. The bitter finish is kind of surprising for the style. I'd pass on this in the future.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Robust malt profile with a hearty chocolate nose and taste. Some smokey flavors and a touch of esters of dark fruit like plums and raisins. Full body with moderate carbonation. Nice beer overall from Saranac.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow: So much potential here. Really great lacing and head; great thickness. Excellent mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, great upfront sweetness. The only downside in this one for me is the alcohol. Just a bit too forward/pronounced in both the nose and the finish. If this could be toned down a tad (7%, 6%, etc.) this would really be fantastic. Still enjoyed and would like to have a few more while available, but again, just a bit too boozy to really be a home run: (more like a ground rule double!) The idea of cellaring--which some have mentioned, would be an interesting one to try. Note - like others, didn't get the orange; Non-existent for me. Didn't really affect my opinion--still like--but I can understand why others might be disappointed given the hype.

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a half of a finger of caramel-colored head that dissolved away into a lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Very aromatic with tons of sweet chocolate up front, like a candy bar, followed by bready, roasted malt, which imparts notes of freshly toasted bread, topped with Nutella®, as well as aromas of brown sugar and hints of dark stone fruit and burnt orange. Rich, earthy, sweet, complex, delicious and inviting!

Taste: Wow! Very, very good! Delicious, actually! Tons of roasted malt and dark chocolate up front, a big, malty chocolate bomb of a beer! There is also strong flavors of caramel, an hint of cinnamon and orange peel. Quite delicious!

Mouthfeel: Chewy and very smooth and creamy as there is very little in the way of carbonation. With an ABV of 9.0%, there is just a hint of alcohol on the palate. I’m amazed, actually at how well masked the alcohol is. You can barely taste it!

Overall: I’m not really a fan of most of Saranac’s beer. They’re not bad, just very forgettable. That being said, this one is extremely good and solid! Delicious, in fact! I love the malty, chocolaty flavors kissed with orange peel. I’d certainly get this beer again!

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Disappointing, expected more. Not a great taste or balance.

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.17/5  rDev -17.9%

3.42/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very Boozy beer! I would think cellaring this would be great! I get chocolate, slight orange in the taste. But the alcohol overpowers most of the taste. Not very impressed. In a year or two of sitting mite be a really good beer.

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%

Smelt like the chocolate oragne that gets cracked open. Taste wasn't too far off but wasn't my cup of tea. If you like porters it's a nice variation to the genre.

Saranac Chocolate Orange from Matt Brewing Company / Saranac Brewery