Birkenhead Black Snake | Birkenhead Brewery

Added by Todd on 03-01-2005

3.5

3.5/5  rDev 0%

340ml bottle 10%

The bottle lists ingredients as: Stout, Honey ale and brandy and then says "be afraid, be very afraid" and I am, I have no idea what to expect from this drink...
Well here goes.

Appearance: Dark red in colour, thick, creamy off white head, leaving good lace.

Smell: Wow... This is weird. Malt, over-ripe red grapes (fruity smell and that's the closest I can get for a description), molasses and brandy (with the alcohol, but not overpowering or unpleasant).

Taste: Equally as WOW as the smell. Very fruity, malty, hints of dark malts, brown sugar, cheap sherry and alcohol (though it's not too strong that it ruins the taste, does warm you up though).

Mouthfeel: Heavy body with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability: 1 bottle yes, 2 noooo. Just too much flavour and alcohol to be considered super drinkable.

A very very interesting drink and one I suggest everyone try once, though not something I would buy often.

Birkenhead Black Snake from Birkenhead Brewery