Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Visionary Brew (2013) | Rahr & Sons Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews
Visionary Brew (2013)Visionary Brew (2013)

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Atlas1 on 09-28-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 30
Reviews by Labeorphile:
3.93/5  rDev -1%

Being a Fort Worth guy, I am pulling for Rahr. Many of their beers have been disappointing however, especially their year-round beers. They tend to do much better with their special and seasonal beers.

This one was poured from a bomber into a large wine glass. Nice coppery amber color with a thick white head that left plenty of lacing on the way down.

Nose was piney, resin hops, with a touch of grapefruit but not overpowering. Good malt balance to keep it from running away.

Taste was nice and hoppy without being overly bitter. Too many IPAs leave a nasty aftertaste on the back of the tongue and this one was much better in the follow through, although the taste tended to die away quickly.

Mouthfeel was good for style and was complementary to the beer.

One of Rahr's better offerings and a little higher in ABV so be careful, especially since it is so drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Stumbled upon this at Central Market today. Very exciting because I'd never seen it before. Central Market actually had a lot of great stuff on the shelf, so I stocked up. But I started off with this DIPA from Rahr.

Pours a nice copper amber color with a decent head and some sticky lace. The nose on this was big and hoppy with a strong citrus presence. No matter how many IPAs I drink (and I've had my fair share over the years), I still can't get enough of that strong hop aroma. I love it; it makes me happy. The taste here is what really impressed me, though. I've always found most Rahr beers to be hit-or-miss. Maybe I'm just not crazy about their yeast strain. But this DIPA is right on the mark. Big hops with grapefruit and pine notes. A hint of vanilla. A creamy and smooth mouthfeel gives way to a nice peppery finish. What a solid beer.

I really like this beer. Perhaps the best thing I've had from Rahr so far. I even like the label - yellow and black with a geometrically artsy bird in flight (it works). As long as I can find this on the shelf, I will continue to revisit this tasty brew.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased as Siegal's. It didn't ring up cause it was new, I guess. They didn't want to sell it to me until I convinced them to ring up as a generic seasonal.

It pours a nice clear amber color with a modest head. The nose is appropriately hoppy--lots of piney resin notes. Hops are the first thing noticed in the taste as well--high bitterness, and lots of hop flavor. There's a little bit of medicinal alcohol that takes away from the general experience, however. It's a pretty good beer regardless, though. Strong, but not a thick and heavy body. And, of course, plenty of hops.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very good double IPA from Rahr. Pretty standard for the style, nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that makes it stand out. Nice balance of hops and malts.

I don't enjoy any of Rahr's year-rounds. I know they have the knowledge and skills to make good beers, like this one. It's just unfortunate that they choose not to, most of the time.

22 oz bottle into Spieglau tulip

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Visionary Brew (2013) from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.