Olde Towne Bock | Olde Towne Brewing Co.

good
Olde Towne BockOlde Towne Bock

Olde Towne Brewing Co.
Alabama, United States

Style: Bock

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by danielharper on 03-12-2006

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

Traded via hand at DLD08 to some guy looking for new brews. Perhaps a little dated, but as a bock, I'm hoping it hasn't gone downhill too badly, let's see.

Appearance - pours a hazy, pale tangerine. A brief head of common white foam sets up, and slowly melts down to an impartial cover. Nice bead from below.

Aroma - allergies have my sniffer a little blocked up, but I am picking up a sweet grain and a light gingery aroma. Nothing bock-like, but it's early.

Taste - light roasted grain, mild sweetness and a bit of spice from the nose. Generally, a watered down flavor, no doubt the victim of an abv cap law. A late aftertaste that makes me think of a Brett-influenced beer. Finishes funky, I'm ready to be done with this beer 8 ounces too soon.

Mouthfeel - semi-spritzy, thinner than it should be. It does have a touch of smooth body to it though.

Drinkability - every few ounces I keep finding some other thing I don't like about the beer. Maybe it's one to drink quickly, or maybe it's a brewery trying their best at a high abv style but struggling to work within the abv limit. Free The Hooch!

1.73/5  rDev -46.6%

Pours golden amber with not head - just a few bubbles.

The smell is of an odd fruity sweetness - caramelish with an earthiness that doesn't quite belong here. Butterscotch is evident.

The taste is of slick butterscotch. So much so that I'm wondering if there was a bacteria infection going on here. It's sickly sweet with a slight graininess in the finish.

There's an odd aftertaste, though there is something of a body, although it may be weak. Alcohol comes through, though in a watery sort of way.

Sorry - did my best to finish it, but it was a struggle. Don't know if I got a bad bottle or if this just sucks (but I'm thinking the latter!)

4.32/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

There's not really much I can say about Olde Towne Bock other than it's a well made, clean and malty sweet bock. It pours a slightly hazy deep amber body with and orange cast and golden highlights. The creamy white head holds well. The aroma is clean and malty sweet with a suggestion of caramelized sugar. The mouthfeel is firm and crisp. And the flavor expresses gently caramelish and honey-like malt infused with spicy and grassy hops, and yeasty fruitiness (apple, peach, some dark fruit skins). It's clean and well balanced, and not surprisingly, very drinkable. I'm quite taken with it really. It's just a solid bock with a bit of sweet maltiness that always delivers. The head retention could be better, but beyond that it's very nicely done. The alcohol never shows. For fans of the bock style it's worth seeking out.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Acquired from unclejedi through the Little Guy BIF, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is sweet and a little fruity with caramel, apples, honey & citrus, along with a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out with sweet & tart fruit flavors of citrus & apple along with a hearty caramelized malt character. Then a complimentary but not over-powering hops bitterness comes in to provide some balance. The after-taste is sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, it’s a beer worth sticking with for a while, but personally, I find it a bit too sweet to have more than two or three before I would start looking for something else.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

a - poured a three finger head into a weizen glass. the body was a dark golden with a creamy white head. slightly bubbly and the lace dissipated halfway through.
s - yeasty with hints of grass.
t - grain and slightly malty.
m - very clean and smooth.
d - one of olde townes best offerings though i think it will improve shortly. each time i try a new olde towne beer it improves.

3.36/5  rDev +3.7%

This bottle comes courtesy Ddarden, says 6.0 abv on the bottle cheers mate!

Pours an efferevescent honey/peach tea colored with 1" of white head. Zero lacing or head retention

S: Corny & sweet with hints of honeysuckle

T: Honey & hint of grain up front. Some hints of peach fruittyness & caramel as this warms along with some bitterness at the back of the throat

MF: Medium bodied/slick with average carbonation for the style

Drinks alright, a very amercianized version of the style, reminds me of a beefed up JW Dundees honey lager, but would take this over the aforementioned beer or any BMC any day. I do't the cap hurts this beer as much some of the ingredients & maybe the process. Still would say this isn't a bad sipper, just not bocky enough to satsify any malt lust you may have (kicks the crap outta shiner for sure!)

3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a flufly white head. Like most of Olde Towne's selection, this beer always tastes overcarbonated. There was a bit of a spicy undertone to the aroma, but this was missing from the taste. The malt sweetness was a little too much for the style, but it gives it some character. Virtually no hop bitterness. Overall, it goes down very smooth and is enjoyable.

Really, I think toning down the carbonation would do wonders.

Photo of
2.63/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle

Hazy, orange-brown color. Primarily white head.

Aroma was tart and citrusy. Then came a yeasty/vegetal scent. Finished with an earthy kind of smell. This increased as it warmed and it was not a positive thing.

Taste followed first part of aroma, tart and citrusy (grapefruit). This lingered well into aftertaste and was not pleasant (sour more than bitter). A bread/yeast flavor was present at the middle and towards the end.

Body was light to medium, and carbonation seemed to be medium+. It was fairly drying.

Overall, this beer seemed very out of character to me. Lagers shoudn't be hazy, bocks shouldn't have the malt profile overshadowed by anything, and the mouthfeel seemed too light and overcarbonated. Regardless of stylistic accuracy or lack, I didn't like the beer.

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Pours a hazy light orangish brown. Hard to describe. The head is made up of blueish white medium sized bubbles.

S: Subtle caramel malts, some soapy characteristics and some cola notes. Not a good sign for a bock.

T: Malty with some red grape sourness...I'm wondering if this beer turned to the dark side of the force. I'm betting it shouldn't taste this way. Mixed in are some butterscotch, pralines with no hops to speak of.

M: Full bodied with just a touch of prickliness. Not bad.

D: The wheat I had from this brewery wasn't half bad. I'd try this beer again if I had the opportunity just to see if the bottle had in fact gone bad.

3.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Served on tap at Carraba's in Huntsville. I usually like to try the local beer where ever I'm at but I had not heard glowing reviews of Olde Towne's stuff (not entirely their fault, the Bama beer laws have them hamstrung). This was a pretty good beer and I'll have to try some more of their stuff.

Appearance was a great brown with creamy white head that fell to a lacing on top of the beer. The beer was opaque at the top and a clear amber at the bottom due to the tapered pint glass it was served in. Made for a very nice effect.

Smelled sweet with a little bit of a spicy overtone.

Taste was almost cloyingly sweet. I don't drink a lot of bock beer so I'm not too up on the style but this was very sweet. A little unbalanced but I think this was what was meant for this beer.

Kind of average in the mouth. A little heavy, little carbonation. Did kind of have a fullness that I reminded me of Dinkel Acker Dark.

So sweet that I would think that it is something that I would want all the time but did encourage me to seek out some more Olde Towne beers.

3.51/5  rDev +8.3%

Served on-tap at Humphries. Notes taken and beer reviewed verbatim from such:

"Amber coloration, slight yellow at bottom. Head disappears after a moment, leaves heavy lacing. Sweet aroma, mainly sugar and slight fruitiness. Flavor _very_ sweet, slight drying quality. Reminds me more of a Scotch Ale than a bock. Moderate mouthfeel, foamy and nice. Overall fairly drinkable, a bit cloying but overall decent."

I tasted this straight from the vat from the fermenter several weeks before it was released, and the beer was significantly sweeter after it had aged a bit. Overall, this beer is much better than the other currently-bottled selections, great with food or as a relaxer, but without the complexity of their Hefeweizen or their Porter. Could be they're still working the kinks out of this brew -- I'll taste again and re-review when the time comes.

Olde Towne Bock from Olde Towne Brewing Co.