New Beer Sunday (week 469)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by mattcrill, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2. RJLarse

RJLarse Pooh-Bah (2,271) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Pooh-Bah

>>>>>> New Baltic Porter Sunday <<<<<<

Greetings all.

I'm having a rare canned brew today, Becky's Black Cat Porter from a place called Seven Brides Brewing, Silverton, Oregon. First I have had of this brewer I think. A very good porter, rich in coffee, charcoal and smoke flavors.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18012/63006/?ba=RJLarse

Condolences to the sufferers of winter weather in the east. That said it is seasonal here in the great northwest. The snows of last weekend and early last week are gone, and it is sunny and seasonal here, with temps in the mid 40's. Breezy though. There are ten new calves in the pasture at the end of the lane, a sure sign that spring is just around the corner.

Hang in there and Happy Trails!
    [​IMG]

3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

My first new brew Sunday double dip.

Bought this a little awhile ago and wasn't inspired to drink it. Even today it was like yeah why not. Didn't really expect too much. Wow was I wrong. This beer was great. Cocoa, tart cherries, oak, and vanilla with a creamy mouthfeel. The tart cherry flavor set this beer apart from other oak aged imperial stouts/porters. Funny thing is the currents is what made me not overly excited to drink it. Combine the rich cocoa, cherries, sweet oak and creamy mouthfeel made this brew a perfect night cap/dessert beer. Not boozy at all. Did get some heat in the nose but nothing distracting nor did it take away from the beer at all.

I could just imagine sit by a fire on a cold winter night with a nice cigar. Today it's 80 and I don't smoke cigar but I could imagine that this beer would go well with that.

Pleasantly surprised and I will be poppin my second sooner than I thought.

[​IMG]

#43 GetMeAnIPA, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Did you at least put the Fun in FUNeral?

5. mtskier

mtskier Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Illinois

Hard to believe with how much I love GLBC, but I had never had Eddy Fitz. I finally rectified that for beer #2 of NBS. Really tasty, a nice mix of roasty notes, with some sweeter dark fruit, almost some raisin like flavors that I got. The body could be a bit better, but I understand it wont be super thick like an RIS, it is a porter after all, so I think thats more just personal preference. Overall GLBC hit it out of the park once again. I dont think Ive ever had a "below average" Great Lakes beer. A few that werent superb, but nothing bad.

[​IMG]

6. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Howdy NBSers!

So today, I got to feel like working in a bottle shop has it's perks again. One of our distributors left us some beers to sample for free. Yes, free! They are from a company called Potosi Brewing Company. I've never had any of their beers, and quite frankly, always just walked by them. Today though, on NBS, I have 3 of their beers to try and explain to you cats. And judging by this first one, I'll be really talking these guys up in the process. This one I'm guzzling down rather quickly is their Czeck style pilsner, and here's what I think of it:

Pours a clear, deep golden color with a finger length of fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. There is a lot of visible carbonation. The dominant smell of this one is the taste of Cheerios, but there is some additional wet grass and light granny smith apple aromas as well. The beer, while going down light and crisp, still tastes like I'm drinking bread, but there is an additional fruity sweetness as well, as well as a light bitterness on the finish. The apple aftertaste lingers for quite a while.

I thoroughly enjoy this one. Then again, I am quite fond of pilsners. I have 2 more to bring to the table later on tonight, so stay tuned.

Until then, perhaps a tune is in order...

7. MadCat

MadCat Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 New Jersey

Happy New Tripel Sunday!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42/57817/?ba=MadCat

So I'm amazed there are Tripels I haven't tried, as this is a favorite style of mine. Especially surprising since it is from a brewery that is a favorite of mine, Ommegang. But, for whatever reason I haven't been able to pick this up when it is around, so I snagged the mixed 3 pack while I could. Loving it, and it has that Ommegang twist on it. And now that I've mentioned my love of Tripels, I am seeing I have quite a few easy to find Tripels to pick up. Not too much new to report in the world, other than I'm enjoying an unplanned 5 day weekend off from work. Except the driveway clearing on Thursday of course. I snow blowed most of it, but the two feet of plow crud mixed with slush on top of a couple inches of water sucked to shovel.

Cheers!

8. Keepmywitbieraboutme

Keepmywitbieraboutme Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2013 New York

[​IMG]
    Trying this new beer from..... Stone when u cut through the smoke and mirrors. Definite grapefruit pith coming through. A balanced bitterness with easy drinkability. For +8% it doesn't mess with ur mind the way a bomber might. A good have and will be picking up more.

9. Mikecap

Mikecap Pooh-Bah (2,062) May 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As promised, another new beer for me tonight. Tallgrass Oasis, which I picked up on a whim in Mississippi today since the Ethos was expired :slight_frown:...

[​IMG]

Labeled "imperial ESB" but this was all IPA in my book. A real solid beer and I'm glad to have a four pack. My full review is here for those who want some boredom to coincide with the NBA All-Star game..

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16333/54063/?ba=Mikecap

Cheers, and I hope some of you are lucky enough to also have a short week this week!

10. offthelevel_bytheplumb

I'm back with my second new beer tonight from Potosi Brewing Company. This second beer is called Good Old Potosi, and it is an American blonde ale. Here's what I think of this one:

Pours a clear straw color with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. There, again, is a lot of visible carbonation. The aroma included honey, bread, and a touch of both toasted malts and cantaloupe. Taste is sweet, and a bit boldly so for a blonde ale if I may say so myself. There is a big aftertaste of honey to this one that lingers for quite a while. With all that said, it is very light and drinkable, and the high amount of visible carbonation I mentioned earlier is toned down quite a bit once I started to drink it.

Absolutely solid for a blonde ale, which is not a style of beer I go for really ever. This may have to be accompanying me to a fire once all this damn snow melts though. I have one more Potosi beer to describe for you guys and gals, so I'll be back shortly.

Until then...

GRPunk, MadCat, bluejacket74 and 11 others like this.
  11. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

Immortal Ale from Dogfish Head. Certainly an epic and mind bending beer. Very, and overly, complex. Each sip is different as flavors change as it sits, since it is a sipper for sure, the flavors are vast. A lot of oakiness comes through, vague maple syrup and malt tones.

[​IMG]

GRPunk, MadCat, bluejacket74 and 12 others like this.
  12. offthelevel_bytheplumb

So the final beer I"ll be presenting to you from Potosi is their Gandy Dancer Porter. Here's what I thought of this bad boy:

Pours a very dark brown with a fizzy tan head that dissipates quickly. It looks like I poured a sarsaparilla into my glass. Milk chocolate and roasty notes come up front on the nose, and they are followed by vanilla and maple notes with a very light touch of raisin. Taste is sweet and roasty with a light but noticeable bitter finish. The chocolate and maple from the nose show up in the aftertaste, which is quite strong. The body is on the lighter side, but the mouthfeel is on the stickier side.

So overall, Potosi went 3 for 3 today. I didn't see it coming, but I do really dig these guys after trying some of their stuff today. To think I did all this promotion for them today, yet they only paid me 3 bottles of beer. I think I'm going to ask them for a raise.:wink:

Well that's it for me this week, but I'll probably see you cats next week.
    Cheers!

GRPunk, MadCat, Mikecap and 10 others like this.
  13. WTKeene

WTKeene Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico

New American Adjunct Lager and I'm sorry I promised an Imperial Berliner Weisse Sunday

So I know I promised a review of Bottleworks XII tonight, but after reading @magictacosinus review I was scared into saving it for a more appropriate occasion, perhaps my party next weekend? So, I looked in my fridge to see what else I could drink, and I saw a Miller High Life that somehow found its way into my fridge after my party on Friday. I had heard this wasn't an awful AAL, so I thought why not? I haven't had an AAL since I turned 21, so I thought today was as good a day as any to try it out.

[​IMG]

My thoughts?

This wasn't awful. I was expecting worse. But it was largely inoffensive. Very sweet taste, not much in the way of smell. It looked nice, but was a bit watery. Very highly carbonated too, too much I think. I think I'll stick to Weihenstephaner premium for my lager needs. I'll need to try Schlitz Gusto eventually, perhaps this week when I stop by my favorite burger joint. My full review is here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/105/580/?ba=WTKeene

Cheers, NBSers!

GRPunk, MadCat, Mikecap and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.