Binge Drinking

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AnthonyRicciardi, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well yes, haha. Can't rule out those nights. Any beer festival, and you will see me completely trashed. Still don't know WHY they give people 25 beer sample tickets at these events. I can never finish them all, and I feel like I have a pretty high tolerance!

sixa66 likes this.
  2. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

I remember when I was in a the Air Force a few years ago I feel like they said if you had more than 3 drinks in a day that you were an alcoholic. I didn't really agree with that but I did agree that I was an alcoholic.

That being said, now that I am older I rarely drink to get drunk. I drink until a have a good buzz but I typically cut myself off after that.

My guidelines are; have a good time, don't over drink and always have a driver

3. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Pooh-Bah (2,213) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

My threshold's lowering the older I get. Used to be I could bet on a hangover if I exceeded seven beers in an evening, then it went to six...now it's about four, & that's nothing too strong either.

To moderate intake AND spending, I permit myself seven beers a week.

SomethingClever and OleGee like this.
  4. rjs246

rjs246 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 Virginia

It's called 'session' drinking. Jeez, you all make it sound so sordid.

5. TylerKitchens

TylerKitchens Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I never get hangovers from beer, only when I switch it up to mixed drinks or wine. This could be because I'm 24 I've been told. I don't drink as much during the weekdays anymore (2-3 beers per week) but I do "catch up" on the weekends when I like to go into my cellar and pick out some great stuff to kick off a weekend (7-8 great beers per weekend). I rarely get stupid drunk and don't consider it binge drinking but it all comes down to moderation and its different person to person.

6. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For my first 9 years in the Air Force, I can GUARANTEE that I was a functioning alcoholic. No. Doubt. And ya, those goofy ass medical self assessments would have the number of drinks a week categories to choose. Like I would actually put down +50, right.... I switched to the Air Guard right about when they started demonizing drinking and watched as they "just couldn't figure out" why the E and O clubs started to become effing ghost towns.......

7. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

"How you doin', Tony?"

8. horsehockey

horsehockey Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

I've found that my appreciation for beer is greatly inhibited by the volume of beer I drink. Flavors, and aromas start to get lost in the sea of ethyl alcohol. I can't say I've never consumed too much, but I generally try not to. In my opinion it's disrespectful to the beer.

Fox82791 and OleGee like this.
  9. OleGee

OleGee Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 New Jersey

I will likely get some flak for this but sometimes I think "WBAYDN" and "Post a Picture of your Latest Haul" encourage BA's to over-indulge for the sake of the BA audience. I have been a semi-regular poster to both in the last few months so it's not that I don't condone sharing your current beverage of choice with dogs, food, music, etc., but sometimes I wonder how folks are functioning after drinking 5+ relatively high ABV beers and are they drinking them because they are enjoying them? I've given plenty of 'likes' to these posts but at the same time I hope they're not doing it because they have to, either through an addiction or for the thrill of receiving the most likes.

Do not mean to offend, just sharing my thoughts as it relates to OP's question. Curious what others think.

10. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

Yea I actually always just answered zero most of the time. I knew a guy that answered those doctor forms out honestly and they sent him to to see somebody about his drinking habits. I drank the most when I was in the military lol

gopens44 likes this.
  11. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I don't drink more than two beers an hour. One if it's pretty strong. I don't mind a good buzz, but I try not to get outright drunk (except in certain party situations once in a while). Some days I drink none, just to remind myself I'm not dependent on it.

aratcliffe likes this.
  12. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "Moderation in all things, especially moderation."

In a bar I drink slow and eat food and avoid scotch or bourbon. I usually bike or walk and when I drive I drink slower and less. A glass of water or tonic or two between beers helps slow things down. I am a big guy so 2 or 3 beers generally do not do much. In a restaurant I will always order a beer with my food and if they do not carry a beer I like, I usually do not go back. I am good for a beer or two on a nightly basis at home. It helps me get my B vitamins.

13. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (1,135) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

You only have one life to live. If the occasion calls for seven beers, have nine.

14. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas

From the booze Nazi's:

"In general, people who engage in binge drinking on a regular basis may benefit from a loving and supportive conversation about the behavior."

Supportive? As in, I'd like to support that party you have out in your workshop on some weekends with those degenerates, uh wrong word, hard working friends of yours who all work 60 hours a week plus and can be heard laughing all throughout the neighborhood?

Yes, you may support that. Otherwise, mind your own business, unless you're the pizza man. In which case, I suppose it is your business, and PLEASE don't ring the bell on the front door, go back to the garage or you'll wake up the wife and kids. Thankyouverymuch.

Leinie likes this.
  15. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Initiate (0) May 7, 2014 Florida

I still have one year of graduate school, I'll come back to this post next year. Till then, bottoms up!

SammyJaxxxx and TylerKitchens like this.
  16. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Yuck.

I drink beer because I like the taste...not because I want to get sick. I'm not 21 years old anymore.

17. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Since when has 12 ounces added up to "a beer"? It's just over half a beer unless you live in Germany where it's rather less :slight_smile:
    What constitutes binge drinking? It's not about quantity as much as about concentration.
    If I visit a pub at lunchtime the same individuals will be there, happily spending their time chatting and drinking pint after pint ; not in a hurry but when they notice the glass is getting low they get another pint. They don't get drunk , seem unimpaired and get home safely. They'll be there again tomorrow and the day after.Their consumption looks vast but they aren't binge drinkers.
    Binge drinking is a term used to describe the habit of (usually) young people who set out to drink as much as possible on Friday and Saturday nights.They intend to "get wrecked" and often "pre-load" with their parents' alcohol before even leaving home.Large numbers end up in the Accident and Emergency section in the local hospital.They really ought to be charged for treatment as it's a self inflicted problem.
    I've been drinking beer for 54 years (legally too) and still manage to sink a few pints.I normally don't want more than four or five pints at lunchtime , I tend to feel uncomfortable with more than this. But last May I managed to drink in 11 pubs in one afternoon, remaining reasonably coherent and functional

18. TylerKitchens

TylerKitchens Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I can't wait to visit England, next destination on my list!

19. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

20. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

I think the military has a way of doing that to people. Former army infantry myself. I remember one night I was outside smoking at like 3 am when the alert thing sounded. I was 23 deep into a case of boston lager. Fortunately it was just a muster alert. I was able to go back in after an hour or whatever where the last beer was waiting. Drinking a case in one sitting probably should have killed me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.