Does craft beer have room for this type of customer service?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PorterPatron, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (1,135) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Gotcha, misunderstood your first post. Totally agree.

2. juan_malamunga

juan_malamunga Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 Washington

Wow. Thats shitty response and handling, dude.

bon débarras to Alpine.

RC51Mike and tkdchampxi like this.
  3. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Maven (1,495) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

Facebook link?

jrnyc likes this.
  4. mythaeus

mythaeus Pooh-Bah (2,050) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I laughed at first because I thought it was a joke. I still find it kinda funny when it's clear that he's serious, and thinking he may be trolling. I'm a big fan of Alpine beers, but definitely will be looking at the company in a much different and negative light now. There is such a thing as bad publicity, especially if the local news outlets get a hold of this story.

Call the CC company to see what they can do in term of getting your money back. A letter to the BBB may be warranted here, as well as to Green Flash. I wonder what their CS department thinks about this.

5. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

Story: Years ago, I purchased an Alesmith anniversary tulip glass online, off their website. It came chipped. I called Alesmith and left a message, just alerting them of the issue. A few hours later, Peter Zein himself called me and apologized, stating that they would immediately send another one. Didn't ask for the old one; didn't have an attitude.

Now, I know it's just a glass, and your issue is not picking up beer within a given deadline; but Alesmith is considered one of the best breweries in the country, and their owner had no problem calling me to make something right. Alpine could take a few notes on customer service.

mschofield, m34josh, ryhayes and 41 others like this.
  6. skiofpinsk

skiofpinsk Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2008 Pennsylvania

Is this for real? Hard to believe someone in his position can be so arrogant. Never had anything by Alpine, just hear about the hype behind them and recall them getting pretty butthurt about their stuff showing up on ebay. I guess I know a bit more now. "Bwaaaahaha" :rolling_eyes:

7. kmbeer

kmbeer Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

Totally appalling. Really respect the way you handled it. Thanks for posting this; I will never buy an Alpine product solely on this basis.

ryhayes, Theniz, ajr24 and 16 others like this.
  8. Zbeetleman

Zbeetleman Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2012 California

Well, now. I am the person who was I guess the OP from the emails. It is legit, and I was just trying to get a feel.for how other people in that particular Facebook group have been treated. Don't really give a damn about the beers, just was.looking for feedback, and boy did I get it. Thanks for the feedback here as well. I know I screwed the pooch with missing my pick up window, I am a local SD County guy, but the response is what threw me.

9. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

OK- I just removed a 'Want'.

Theniz, darthvohn, ShanePB and 27 others like this.
  10. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Alpine is known for shenanigans like this. Hearing of some more areas in country getting Alpine, yes, Nelson is a top beer but many great beers being made all over country now, terrible customer service and bad press is not going to help them when they get out of the San Diego comfort zone, especially with GF versions which from many reports aren't up to the level of Alpine versions.

nsheehan, rozzom and yemenmocha like this.
  11. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Wow, this is real?

Even worse, I just looked it up and this guy is owner and started that brewery???

Hard to believe his company made it despite him being an absolute prick. Seems like he needs a reality check big time.

12. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Also, from the Alpine Website

[​IMG]

We take pride in our hard working staff
    Our brewery and customer staff are knowledgeable and friendly. They all like good beer and can explain beer to you in a way you’ll understand.

I'm guessing this should be edited to read

[​IMG]

We take pride in our rude staff
    Our brewery and customer staff are knowledgeable and dickish. They all like good beer and can explain beer to you in a way that will make you never want to try our product.

13. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

Unfortunately yes, there is room for this in craft beer. There's older stories about similar things. Lost Abbey and the indifference to their quality control issues, the well-known jerkery of Three Floyd's staff. Those guys sure aren't hurting for business.

Publicize this exchange as much as you care to, like r/beer on reddit, Facebook, whatever social internets people use now, I dunno. That's about as much as you can do really.

Also, eat balls Patrick. Your beer isn't as good as your attitude is shitty.

Theniz, SkyyNapalm, vurt and 11 others like this.
  14. Jeph222

Jeph222 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Pat, when you own a business, everyone who you sell to is your boss. A simple "sorry, when you didn't show we had to sell them. Can we refund your money or get you something else?" would have sufficed. Worst case scenario with that tack is a refund of the customers money. But what you ended up doing is losing hundreds or more future customers.
    As a business owner myself I recommend the following:
    1. Hire a customer service rep who gets paid to keep all of your customers happy. No matter what.
    2. Don't send out a text or email that you would be embarrassed to read on the front page of the NYT. Your texts cost you big time.
    3. Shut the fuck up and stay in the back brewing beer bitch.

15. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

My Friday night staying in is now a lot less boring

16. Jeph222

Deactivated

The internet is truly mightier than the sword.

17. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

• Thread of the year so far

Papaloth, Jnashed, Ilpalazzo and 6 others like this.
  18. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

not trading for Kiwi Herman now unless it comes with a hand-written apology!

19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Wonder if he acts this way in person or just behind the computer screen?

20. Jeph222

Deactivated

Evilcatfish...awesome avatar.

FUNKPhD, DeepBrew and davemont like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.