Dark Lord Day 2016

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Nhens0016, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stone4789

stone4789 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2014 Wisconsin

So I've never had Dark Lord, but I've been drinking their other stuff for like 7yrs. Finally participated in the insanity that is Bourbon County this year and it's by far my favorite drink ever. If I drop the cash to go to this thing, is comparing it to BCS caliber gonna bum me out? Reviews of the beers themselves seem a lot more varied than you'd expect for the hype.

2. ErikO60102

ErikO60102 Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

3. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My guess is that the voucher thing, coupled with what @darktain mentioned about the amount of DL available, is the reason there's no GA tickets this year. I assume it simplifies the logistics of everything for FFF.

Also, I know this isn't incredibly charitable, but if selling tickets in this manner ensures that the people who care about getting bottles of DL actually get them, I'm all for it. It sucks for the people that might not have wanted any bottles in the first place, but this is a festival for Dark Lord beer, after all (although it's become more than that). I also think that it will be pretty easy to flip both regular and BA versions, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue (if you're desperate to go, but don't want any beer).

4. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Others will have to chime in on the BA variants, since I have never had one, sadly (hopefully this year will break that curse!), but regular Dark Lord doesn't share much in common with BCS. It's not barrel-aged, for one, so you don't get the typical bourbon barrel characteristics, and DL is wayyyyyyyy sweeter than BCS. I would compare DL to Surly's Darkness (non-BA version), if I had to make a comparison. Personally I like it a lot (although Darkness is better), but it's definitely a little too sweet, at least fresh.

westlaunboy, funhog and stone4789 like this.
  5. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Zealot (591) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

I am appreciative of all the comments. I attempted to get tickets last year and got shut out, but am really going all in on going this year, now that I've done a little more research.

Does anyone have guest tap lists from the past few years? I searched around yesterday for a bit, and didn't really find anything conclusive. I doubt anyone has a full list, but maybe some highlights over the past few years?

Thanks!

6. ChangSing

ChangSing Zealot (640) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I think this new approach is great. I know there will be some who basically don't want to front them the $200 cash and maybe only want 2 bottles and not 5..I do feel the impact on tickets sales will be minimal if non existent. I don't know of too many 'casual' beer fans who would want to go listen to death metal all day when they could just go to the beer fests that are every weekend in the summer.

7. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

Barrel Aged Dark Lords hold up against bourbon county for sure. Regular Dark Lord does not. It's a good imperial stout, but it's magical when it's put into barrels. Just my opinion.

funhog, mayorQuimby and stone4789 like this.
  8. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

This thread has a pretty comprehensive list of all things DLD history related. Page 2 has a bunch of previous known taps.

funhog and SeanBond like this.
  9. chewymangos

chewymangos Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana

I get that it is a festival for Dark Lord and it is also great everybody gets a variant now. I can't complain about that. Not everybody is on the same level of enthusiasm and if their target is the hardcore, then the price boost(I know the value is good) is the way to go. I kind of assume they went this route because they most likely had a lot of DL bottles left over from last year thanks to the weather and people not showing up or leaving early. They want to guarantee their sales and what I hope will ease the process and lessen lines. Financially, the less time people spend in line waiting on bottles, the more time they have to be out purchasing food/beer. They are a business and want to make money, I get that too, but just wish some things weren't always about maximizing profits and taking advantage of your consumer base which FFF is typically accused of doing. ( before the rants come in, I know they could sell the tickets and bottles for even more)

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  10. stone4789

stone4789 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2014 Wisconsin

How I'd love to know the odds they even have a BA variant this year.

11. macewank

macewank Zealot (666) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

You're gonna be disappointed if you go into Dark Lord expecting Bourbon County. For one, regular Dark Lord isn't barrel aged, so you get none of that complexity.

Dark Lord is a real solid beer though. In my opinion, it's better with a couple of years of age on it, but still very drinkable fresh. Just.... don't go in thinking Bourbon County because they're not even close to the same.

funhog, stone4789 and SeanBond like this.
  12. kodt

kodt Pooh-Bah (2,262) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They are going to have about 10 different barrel aged variants this year. Expect most to be on draft, and every attendee is guaranteed one bottle of a barrel aged dark lord variant this year.

SeanBond likes this.
  13. Tim_d78

Tim_d78 Aspirant (248) Mar 30, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I believe all the variants are barrel aged.

funhog and kodt like this.
  14. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The amount of shit they'd get for locking everyone in to an essentially ~$50 non-BA variant would be so amazing that I don't think they'd dare go that route, ever.

Burntfoot likes this.
  15. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Zealot (591) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Thanks, I must not have gotten far enough down the rabbit hole.

List looks terrible, everyone should buy Group E tickets and just get your allotment and leave...

16. myersk27

the etix.com page clearly states that everyone gets 1 BA variant.

funhog likes this.
  17. myersk27

yeah I agree with this. They are already getting a lot of shit for the format change....non-ba variants would certainly escalate things.

18. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know how it would affect ticket sales at this new price point (it remains to be seen how many tickets they sell, and how quickly), but I would imagine that demand would definitely lessen if people weren't guaranteed a BA variant.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

The variants are barrel aged every year. I'm shocked this question is asked so often.

funhog, eppie82 and SeanBond like this.
  20. Hopopotamus53

Hopopotamus53 Devotee (312) May 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

The 5 variants are as follows...

Belgian yeast dark lord melort barrel aged
    A 50/50 blend of dark lord and battle priest aged on mesquite chips
    Cumin and clove spiced tequila barrel aged
    Rosemary and thyme spiced Fireball whiskey barrel aged
    And the non alcoholic variant

MICBANGER, brycevolk, Vitacca and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.