New Beer Sunday (week 579)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by utopiajane, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What the heck, let's toss up a 2nd NBS offering for my fellow beer nerds .....

[​IMG]

I purchased this a couple of months ago, and even the description confused me - an IPA, barrel-aged, then dry-hopped. Then more hops.

So I cracked this open ..... beautiful IPA appearance: check. Hoppy IPA nose: nope. Booze. Okay, maybe the taste brings forward the Hull Melon hops. A little. A really, REALLY little. Still a lotta booze. I don't hate this ..... but I wouldn't buy it again on a dare. It truly confounds me.

Rated 3.75 here, only because I'm so confused: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2137/177815/

2. Josholson666

Josholson666 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota

Wish they brewed that one again, but they are coming out with another english barleywine at the end of the year as part of their 30th Anniversary beers. I'll be sure to send you some!!

Well, had a nice lunch with the family and have been busting out several papers for a few hours now, with no end in sight. On to a new brew from Orpheus Brewing, called Transmigration of Souls, a tasty DIPA.

[​IMG]
    First off, what a frickin awesome name! No time for a full review, and my palate is damn near wrecked from all the food I ate today, but this one is interesting. It's not overly hoppy like I thought it was going to be, but the malt presence is not overpowering at all. Nose is tropical, and the taste is much more mild, can definitely taste the different hops working together. Overall, this is a really solid beer and love the artwork! Cheers!

3. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Probably my last from @Ri0 for today, and appropriately one from his home state. Reviewing this, it just dawned on me that this is probably my first ever Midwestern IPA.

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30629/95061/?ba=woemad
    I had to approach this differently than a standard West coast IPA. It seemed like a more herbal, maybe slightly more malty take than I'm used to, without so much bitter, piney counterpoint. It's kinda like an English IPA, but with considerably greater ballsiness, if that makes any sense.
    EDIT: Forgot to mention, this may be the greatest beer label I have ever seen. If into the surreal, do not walk, Fucking RUN to pick this up. How often do you get to see a flame-snorting unicorn that's being ridden by some sort of samurai housecat brandishing a firearm?

#183 woemad, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  4. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

You got it. Midwest IPAs are generally more malty. Karben4 is one of the better examples of this regional IPA style. :slight_smile: They don't date the beer, but it was bottled in March because demand keeps it moving off of the shelf. Dragon Flute will be their first APA bottled and I look forward to it in a few weeks! I did have it on tap last summer and it was really great. As far as their labels, they are all crazy and wacky because the owners have a sense of humor.

2beerdogs, kemoarps, rgordon and 4 others like this.
  5. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

F@#$! F@#$!! F@#$!!!

UVa had the opportunity to make this season really something by taking the next step, and they failed. They played themselves into a solid team (started out a bit overrated, IMO), and were given a route they could handle. But Syracuse just out-hustled them and hit shots when UVa could not.

One last beer after that disappointment. I figure it represents my mentailty: the game was there for UVa: Green light to the Final Four up 15, but in a Flash it was gone, which left me hot, and now there is a dark cloud over my head. So here is Dia De Los Serranos (is that be correct Spanish grammar??):
    [​IMG]

That head is very nice!! Frothy foam that leave sheets of powdered cocoa-like lacing down the glass as I sip. On a cold beer, there is a light unsweetened chocolate note and a bit of the pepper coming out, but very light. First sips on a cold brew basically back this up - maybe a more generic roasted note than chocolatey, but the pepper does come through late taste, and the light burn sneaks up on you.

Mid warmth, both the chocolate and pepper notes open up a tad, but still not a very powerful nose. The feel is a nice balance of body and smoothness early, and a little raw and biting with the bitterness and pepper in the end. I think the roasted notes are basically in line with the nose at this point, leaning chocolatey with a little more spicy than vegetal pepper note backing it up.

I'll sip the last half of this without writing, but the pepper is coming through more in the nose as I sign off, and the burn is starting to build up a tad (but is not even near a two alarm fire or anything). Actually I think this is a near perfect amount of heat joining a nice roasted malt stout.

Cheers to the rest of the evening, what's left of it, NBS!

6. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

My second NBS beer of the day is this one from Deciduous brewing. I have previously had the Tayberry version of this beer which was ok, but not really porter like in the end. This one is much more like a porter, but still is muddled.

[​IMG]

Dormancy Fig/Maple

Deciduous Brewing Company
    American Porter / 9.40% ABV

3.39/5 rDev -9.4% | Avg: 3.74
    look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L- The pour is black with a thin one finger mocha head. This quickly recedes to a thin ring with no lacing present.
    S- The nose is fig, subtle chocolate, overlayed by a sourish fruit quality which I'm not sure should be there. This same aroma was the primary component of the Tayberry version of this beer. Contamination? Byproduct of the yeast used?
    T- I was concerned about contamination in the nose, but the initial tasting reveals the chocolate and figs are much stronger in the taste. Somewhere around finish though that off flavor of a sourish nature bubbles to the surface. It is stronger in some sips than others.
    F- The feel is acceptable for a porter. The carbonation is light, especially in comparison to the Tayberry version which virtually explodes out of the glass when pouring.
    O- While this version seems like an actual porter, the off flavor in it is offputting. I won't be revisiting this.

VABA, beerloserLI, gopens44 and 22 others like this.
  7. woemad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm seriously considering selling all my worldly possessions and just walking the earth and showing people this bottle, the label is that awesome.

8. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I'm glad you liked it. I heard really good things about that one but haven't had the chance to try it.

9. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,393) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Heavy Seas / Maine Beer Company Red IPA

Making some room in the fridge for TWO boxes on the way from @ONovoMexicano as part of the NBS BIF.

Red IPA pours a lovely deep red-amber color with two fingers of tan-tinted head. Looks and smells fantastic. Orange and mango hops dominate the nose with a little pineapple and pine behind, and not as much malt as I expected. There's a touch more caramel malt in the flavor, but it still plays second fiddle to pine hops and muted hop citrus. Light bodied with a slightly prickly mouthfeel. The parts don't come together in perfect harmony, but pretty good overall.

10. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Savant (1,158) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Yeah, my review was not so ornate, as I enjoyed it out at dinner with a buddy. But yes, it was a tasty concoction and enjoyed by us both.

11. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

It's from here.

12. cjgator3

cjgator3 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2006 Florida

Short's Brewing Swirl Stout
    Milk/Sweet Stout - 6.4% ABV

[​IMG]

3.83/5 rDev -3.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle date of 12/30/2015 printed on the neck of the bottle. Poured into a snifter. The aroma is dark roasted malts with hints of vanilla. Pretty faint, not a whole lot going on in the nose but the notes that are there are solid. The taste is more assertive with the roasted flavors standing out and a lingering sweetness in the finish. Overall, Short's Swirl Stout is a solid milk stout that I enjoyed.

13. woemad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Too bad that beer didn't work out. I'd probably been attracted to it for the whole Fig/Maple thing. Incidentally, before I whip up some dinner, I'm looking up what the hell a Tayberry is.

ONovoMexicano, kemoarps and thebeers like this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wow- thanks a lot! I'd love it. I haven't had very much at all from Summit, considering that they are so well established and been around for so long, and would love the opportunity to try more. Shoot me a message when the time comes, and I'm sure there will be interesting things going on here as well to send your way. Thanks again!

15. GRPunk

GRPunk Pooh-Bah (1,767) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

New Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale

It's been a nice Easter in West MI. Temps got close to 70 with overcast skies. This am the kids did all the traditional Easter festivities before lunch with my wife's extended family. Now it's time to relax before starting another busy week.

This was a real treat. I'm already a fan of the regular Scotty Karate. This one brings the bourbon hard in the aroma. The flavor profile is bold as well, without overwhelming. A nice smokey component that mixes with caramel and black pepper. A full review is forthcoming.

[​IMG]

16. Josholson666

Josholson666 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota

Of course! Looks like a November/December release so it'll be awhile. Does NJ get regular Summit distro?

17. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,596) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Goddamn wilds and sours cluttering up my beer collection...need to kill these things off...

[​IMG]

And what a joyful chore this is! I'm grateful for finding and acquiring the Russian River brews. Can't hold on to 'em forever and (after tasting 'Temptation'), this is turning into a most satisfying endeavor...and I'm sure the Crooked Stave offering will be a fine, fine coda...

18. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Reported.

19. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not where I am- never seen anything by them. I'm late to the party on Bell's, too, but only because they just started shipping to NY a year or two ago.

20. larryi86

larryi86 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,106) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Good evening NBS, hop everyone is having a great day. Having my first new beer from the great box that @strohme2 sent me for the BIF.
    Roak Blow Your Face Out
    4.17/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thank you to strohme2 for this
    12 oz bottle poured into a teku

A- A slightly hazy light copper color with a three finger white head.

S- Some hints of tropical and mandarin oranges, fairly dank and piney, faint sweetness from the alcohol.

T- Citrus, some tropical fruits, some grapefruit and pineapple, huge piney and slightly dank bitter finish, not getting any noticeable malt backbone.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A solid DIPA, very easy drinking for 10.1% ABV. I would pick more up if it was local to me.

★512 characters

Have to say being on beer number two from the box, first was KBS and now this, I feel it's off to great start, can't wait for the rest of this box!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.