Russian River (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by jakecattleco, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Grand Pooh-Bah (3,862) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Drinking fresh blind pig bottle that I grabbed 4 hours north of the main brewery and really loving the industrial scale of the windsor facility. For all the love Pliny gets, blind pig is their best beer to me and one of the greatest wc ipas. The only thing that gives an edge to some of the newer entrants from socal is the price (ends up hitting at about 6.50 a pint in to go form where I can get bottles). Hopefully we'll see a switch to cans and a slight decrease in cost to consumer as their new distribution plan unfolds.
    As far as the aesthetic of the new location, I don't find it substantially different from the original location other than that it is often not crowded. I don't particularly care for the aesthetic sensibilities of that region of the state in general and I see the windsor spot fitting well into that. A sort of 'working ranch' vibe but interpreted by folks whose experience of 'ranches' tends to be large estate wineries and high end horse facilities.
    The beer is still fabulous and that giant barn of a building makes it more accessible.
    As to the food, I've only eaten there once and it was fine but I did see the funniest little toothpick sliders there once, they couldn't have been bigger than a half dollar and came an order of three. I'd put the over/under at about $15...

ChicagoJ, NWH83, bret27 and 3 others like this.
  2. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nailed it! And I say that as someone raised on a cattle ranch in the Midwest, and now married to an equine vet in CA.

3. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Pretty much everyone agrees - not a hot take.

4. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (1,087) Oct 20, 2006 California

It was kinda meh when they finally made it.

5. unlikelyspiderperson

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

haha well I never hear of anyone stoked to finally try blind pig
    Also, the ratings on this site have pliny ahead by a hair, although both are rated top notch

Thenomad512 likes this.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Fresh Pig is the best.

7. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Zealot (632) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

For me, ROW 2 HILL 56 is the best beer they brew. Top 3 beer ever for me.

8. bret27

bret27 Pooh-Bah (2,900) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2 quick points:
    1) I’m pretty sure pty will sell out in a day. I can’t imagine a situation where the bottles last a week in the taproom (though I’d like to)
    2) at least one upside of the Windsor location. I could imagine myself waiting in line there, whereas not so much on the street in downtown Santa Rosa.

lucius10 likes this.
  9. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Guess it all depends on how much they bottle, but with 2pp daily limit (and I'd almost bet on daily total bottle allocations) my guess is there're bottles available each day to roughly mid-late afternoon.

Rustytacos likes this.
  10. bret27

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’ll admit I don’t know the specifics on the #’s. But when vinnies blog says this:
    “A study which determined that the two-week release saw visitors from 42 states and 14 countries and contributed $4.16M to the local economy”
    And people are talking about camping out. it leads me to believe it’s going to go fast. It does say “2 week release” though.
    (hopefully you’re right and I’m wrong)

11. unlikelyspiderperson

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It seems like there was a lot more Pty brewed last year then ever before. And I don't even think they had Windsor running at full speed then. I'd trust RR to project production and demand as much as any brewery I can think of

lucius10 likes this.
  12. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Pundit (925) Jun 23, 2013 California

I don’t... Pliny > Pig!

13. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

I don’t think people are understanding how this will work with pty. It states that they will be handing out wristbands to buy bottles and pty on draft, you won’t be able to buy bottles without the wristband. They want people to experience RR , not just going to buy bottles. So based off that they will probably have enough bottles for everyone who gets a wristband for that day and every subsequent day that they offer pty. By the looks of it if you show up you should be able to grab bottles, it’s the waiting for it that’s going to be a PITA.

redeemer, lucius10, cgwami and 4 others like this.
  14. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Savant (1,064) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

I recall reading the bottles weren't available to go from the gift shop and were only available to persons who dined in.

15. bret27

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes. I’ve never been to the Windsor location so don’t really know the set up.
    It would seem odd to have to dine in to buy bottles to-go though.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My guess is that you are required to get a wrist band, and that wrist band allows x number of pours and 2 bottles. Not that you have to dine in but that there isn't a separate avenue to buy the bottles outside the main line for pours

17. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Exactly this.

18. BierDawg

BierDawg Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Texas

Are there any days better than others to get in line at Santa Rosa? Planning to make the trip this year. My guess is that weekdays might be a bit less crazy than the weekend. Thanks.

19. asong_net

asong_net Zealot (586) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

Weekday for sure and go at an off hour (either early afternoon or late at night)

20. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My 2nd time to Santa Rosa RRBC was on a Monday. We flew to SFO, rented a car and drove to the brewery. Got there an hour and half before they opened. Ate breakfast around the corner and got in line 20 minutes before they opened. We were 5th and 6th in line when the doors opened at 11am. We left to go aback to SFO 2 hours later and the place was packed with people in line 20-30 deep.

ChicagoJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.