Russian River 2020

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by jakecattleco, Jan 1, 2020.

1. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (98) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

Weekday for sure and go at an off hour (either early afternoon or late at night)

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (842) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

My 2nd time to Santa Rosa RRBC was on a Monday. We flew to SFO, rented a car and drove to the brewery. Got there an hour and half before they opened. Ate breakfast around the corner and got in line 20 minutes before they opened. We were 5th and 6th in line when the doors opened at 11am. We left to go aback to SFO 2 hours later and the place was packed with people in line 20-30 deep.

dukeandduke likes this.
  3. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (155) Jun 23, 2013 California

I’m genuinely thankful to see this kind of hype over a beer that isn’t hazy!

Hazy IPAs suck... and are holding the craft beer community hostage!

4. MontereyBayBeer

MontereyBayBeer Initiate (27) Mar 18, 2015 California

It was great, then they bottled it and it wasn’t great, then the stopped bottling it and it’s great again!

fegelFatso likes this.
  5. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (145) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Knowing they seem to have a good plan going in, via wristbands etc, for PtY this year, I’m genuinely curious how much of a shit show it will be (if at all). A couple variables: it’s not a hazy ipa, the new windsor facility spreads the crowd, bottles.

I’m thinking of heading up that first weekend, never made the trek. I’m expecting a line, but that seems like part of the fun in the “pilgrimage.”

Could be super chill, might be the longest lines ever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,502) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

No need to guess. This is exactly what they did last year at the Windsor location. At the front door they had several employees putting wristbands on everyone as they came in. I believe there was either a 3 or 4 beer limit, and each time you ordered a PtY they pulled a tag off your wrist band. Once the tags were all gone, you couldn't order any more PtY (though of course you could stay, order food and get other beers if you wanted). This year it sounds like they'll have additional tags on the wrist bands that will allow you to purchase up to 2 bottles.

That's my take as well. My guess is that they won't run out of bottles any day. After all, for the first time ever, aren't they also pouring glasses of Pty on the tours? So it sounds like Vinny plans to make a goodly amount this year (now that the Windsor location is fully up and running). This makes me wonder if RR is going to significantly increase the amount of PtY they plan to distribute this year (something I'm hoping for, as unfortunately our annual trip to N. California will be completed before the PtY release this year).

Yes, that's correct (weekdays tend to be less hectic than weekends). Also, based on what I saw last year, I would highly recommend going to the Windsor location rather than the Santa Rosa location. Sounds like the line was much shorter there, and of course the facility is much larger as well. Good luck!

#46 John_M, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  7. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,137) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

@John_M , as far as distribution plans, this is the first year that I have heard believable rumblings of us getting a keg about 4 hours north of the brewery. Seems like expanded Pty ambitions are on the agenda

John_M likes this.
  8. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I so hope that's the case. I dream of the day I don't have to drop everything at work so I can run down to a nearby pub to get a couple glasses before the keg blows. Or drive an hour and a half to the coast in order to get a couple glasses at Twist wine bar in Pacific City.

9. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,137) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Me thinks that day is coming. My guess, based on talking to folks who might know better that I, is that this year will probably see a much wider presence in CA and possibly in Philly or some other distant place where RR has a long term relationship with some accounts. And assuming all goes well then 2021 seeing availability at the better beer bars in many national markets. They didn't select this time to expand so dramatically just to serve Santa Rosa

fegelFatso likes this.
  10. Crunk_certified

Crunk_certified Initiate (167) Jul 7, 2014 California
    Trader

I’ve heard rumors that we do plan on selling out of bottles each day. There will only be a certain allocation for each day. So if you come in the evening chances are you won’t be able to get bottles. This could change but it’s what I’m hearing. I work at RR, for anyone wondering where I got this info.

11. bret27

bret27 Zealot (518) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Feel free to update us any time you hear any info.

Crunk_certified and Rustytacos like this.
  12. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (155) Jun 23, 2013 California

And thank God for that! I can’t stand the haze craze, and how it’s completely held what used to be my favorite type of beer hostage! Mind Circus is one of the only Hazys I can stand, and I’m glad Russian River hasn’t completely given in to this ridiculousness! Make IPA Great Again!

bret27 likes this.
  13. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (915) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Speaking of great IPAs, I've had Happy Hops a small handful of times now and I'm ready to say it's better than Pliny or Pig. The hops really pop each time I've had it which I cannot say for PtE or BP on a consistent basis.

14. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (842) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Again, there's plenty of great IPA's to be had. If you choose to go that route. I got plenty of west coast in my fridge.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  15. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Aspirant (298) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

I really hope they bottle r2h56 again...

16. NWer

NWer Crusader (788) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Well, since PtY doesn't have a long shelf life, you'll just have to help me drink bottles if it lasts 'til March, that is. If I'm lucky enough to snag some.

fegelFatso likes this.
  17. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Going down for the release this year? Can't wait to hear about this year's experience.

fegelFatso likes this.
  18. NWer

NWer Crusader (788) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Yup. Staying two nights at Hampton Inn Windsor Feb 11 & 12.

fegelFatso likes this.
  19. IPAs-n-Stouts_OhMy

IPAs-n-Stouts_OhMy Initiate (61) Dec 19, 2018 Washington

I'm in Palo Alto for work that week. makes the sting just that much worse that I'm only 90 minutes away and still won't be able to get across the bridge to grab a bottle or two

20. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Devotee (424) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

Should be there Friday the 14th