New Beer Sunday (Week 800)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Shanex, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,336) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I got a PS3 emulator working now, and I already got stuck on a part in Resistance Fall Of Man lol. You have to get to a checkpoint with a certain level of health. I have yet to see any healthy packs at all. Very old school feel.

Odd Side Grand River Nut Brown. Awesome English brown. Lasting rocky head retention/soapy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big caramel, brown sugar, toffee, roasted nuts, toasted biscuit, and brown bread/crust; with lighter notes of raisin, plum, fig, date, red apple, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, smoke, herbal, grass, pepper, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal, grassy, peppery, roasted bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; very creamy/bready/grainy malts, some sticky hops, and light chalky roast in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering bitter dryness; no cloying/astringency. Very smooth/soft, minimal warming 5.1%. Awesome rich well rounded malt complexity, with solid earthy hops and restrained fruity yeast. Light residual sweetness with lingering dryness. Very impressive as expected. 4.13
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can remember, as a kid in the 80s, walking with my family to Powell's bookstore from our hotel downtown and walking past the Weinhard's brewery when it was a going concern. Now that's all been "developed" from what I understand, with the brewery having either been rehabbed or torn down altogether, I'm not sure which. I also remember HWPR as a guest in my parents' fridge when they'd occasionally be vaguely sociable and have my uncle and his sons over for a football game.
    I guess the lure of gentrification money was simply too much for whoever owned the brand to keep the brewery going. Too bad.

3. Wasatch

Wasatch Grand Pooh-Bah (5,406) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

MNAle, SABERG, Snowcrash000 and 18 others like this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It was still in operation around '92, and I seem to recall being able to walk there from BridgePort, which put it just north of the Pearl district I suppose. So yeah, at some point that property became more valuable than the brewery. I'm glad that I got to enjoy it before all of that happened.

MacMalt and woemad like this.
  5. ichorNet

ichorNet Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

[​IMG]

Should be a quicker review than usual because this is another version of my previous review for Vic Secret-hopped Pre Roll by Honest Weight.

Same pour as the previously-discussed beer, cuz it's the same thing. :neutral_face:

Well, the nose is strikingly different. Waimea is an interesting varietal that has a lot in common with Amarillo and Columbus, two distinctly "West Coast US" hops. It's supposed to be quite "powerful," with intense citrus and pine aspects, and I definitely get that here. The nose is key lime, grapefruit, and strong lemon-like acidity with a touch of what seems like a floral component as well. Not as impressive to me, personally, as the VS Pre Roll, but I'm still interested in how it tastes.

First few sips are heavy on the key lime (it almost has a key lime pie flavor to it considering the malt backing) with some strong herbaceous and "green" elements. A slight rustic funkiness punctuates the next few drinks I take, which also seem to come forward with some grapefruit peel and tangerine rind hoppy flavors. More grassiness and neutral bitterness in the finish. This definitely has more of a West Coast pale ale feel than the VS version, which is sensible considering the lack of tropical/traditionally "juicy" things this hop does. Good stuff overall.

Feel is similar to the VS version, of course. Slightly softer bitterness than the other. I would love to try more of these. Honest Weight, if you're listening, please put out Pre Rolls featuring Idaho 7/007, Lotus, Ella, El Dorado, and Enigma! These are some of the newer breed of hops that I still would like to see work well by themselves, and this recipe seems awesome for such an outcome.

6. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,336) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I gave my own dad a ring right before that last beer review. He hasn't shaved since the lockdown so he's got a beard going, he hasn't worn one in a good few decades(I was around 5). He is a supervisor over a networks communications department at First Energy.

Stella Artois Midnight Lager. Very nice schwarzbier. Lasting fluffy head retention/foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, dark bread/crust, toasted biscuit, and nutty malts; with lighter notes of dark fruit, smoke, char, herbal, wood, grass, pepper, and earthiness. A bit too fruity/yeasty aromas, but not overwhelming. Light herbal, woody, grassy, peppery, roast, charred bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; very creamy/bready malts, some sticky hops, and chalky roast in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering bitter dryness, no cloying/astringency. Very clean on lager flavors, not overly fruity/yeasty. Great clean and nicely rich malt complexity, with balancing earthy hops and mild fruity yeast. Mild residual sweetness with lingering dryness. Very well done. 3.91
    [​IMG]

Cheers

MNAle, Txex06, VABA and 16 others like this.
  7. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The first beer from Transient was 4.5% ABV and brightly effervescent (or effervescently bright, if you prefer). #2 is this beast, which is 13.5% ABV, and I’m guessing it’s not effervescent.

It was also originally released 2 or 3 weeks ago, along with a couple of Buckley’s (one of Transient’s franchise “special release” big boy stouts). Normally, these are “for purchase only at the brewery” events, but due to COVID-19, they did an “online purchase for pickup up at the brewery later” event that was a bit ..... bumpy, specifically, you could put a full allotment in your “shopping cart” and get all the way through the checkout - and then your bottles would disappear as you were paying (there was no running clock like you see for event tickets. - they just vanished).

Not good. And the fact that the entire allotment sold out in 4 minutes with some folks able to buy more than an allotment - again, not good. This release, which came on Thursday, was flawless, so I’m guessing they had a chance to bottle a bunch more and enforce the bottle limits. I picked this up Friday and have been waiting patiently to unveil it here since then. This is Quarantuckley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.65/5 rDev +1.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When you pop the cap and start to pour this, you notice the jet black pour (a bit of leakage to dark mahogany at the top of the glass) and the sudsy dark tan head that dissipates pretty quickly, but what you really notice is the fusillade of cacao and maple and cinnamon aromas that leap from the bottle, assaulting you - I’ve never seen that with any style other than a few IPA’s/DIPA’s over the years (Surly Abrasive circa 2014 stands out in the “olfactory onslaught” category). Wow. Wow, wow, WOW.

The cacao and cinnamon and maple dominate the taste, as expected, but there is a nice balance with the marshmallow and milk sugar, and there’s a significant booziness to this as it settles at the back of your palate - but it doesn’t reek of booze, it’s just a warming that you note and respect as you slowly sip this beer.

The mouthfeel is substantial, bordering on creamy as expected. This is stupendous, IMHO, and probably my favorite beer thus far in 2020. Exceptionally well done

MNAle, SABERG, VABA and 15 others like this.
  8. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

HAHA - maybe our next beer tasting should be malt liquor. Our grocery store has steel reserve and king cobra ... maybe I'll pick them up for another Sunday.

I bought that one back around Christmas time and really enjoyed it!

Pinz412, eppCOS, MacMalt and 4 others like this.
  9. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

First off kudos to @FBarber for downing a 40. Founders DKML is as close as I came to drinking a malt liquor. It was not a pleasurable pour. Not sure if you had a Firestone Walker 805, but that is a good beer for anyone wanting to replicate five weeks from now.

This third beer was featured several times in WBAYDN over the past month, and I am extremely happy to have picked this one up. I believe it was bottled 5/3/20, the bottle code is weird 5320, maybe it is not a date reference, the listed ABV is 12.3%.

[​IMG]

Appearance: Poured into snifter glass, black pour with light tan head which left a thick ring around the glass. 4.25

Aroma:
    Incredible bold and pleasant aroma, pecan and coconut lead, caramel, cinnamon back well. Heavy sweetness is well balanced by a smooth bourbon, which emerges as this warms. 5.0

Taste:
    Taste mirrors aroma, very sweet. Sweet warm caramel leads. salted pecan follows. Rich silky smooth bourbon balances well, charred oak, quite excellent. 4.75

Mouthfeel:
    Rich full creamy body, the fullest body of any Central Water stout I've had to date. faint carbonation bubbles linger throughout the pour, sweet aftertaste, pleasant. 4.5

Overall:
    This is a great stout, from a brewer of very good to excellent stouts. World class complex Barrel Aged Stout. Incredible. 4.75

Nice way to end NBS pours on a high note for me, hope your next beer is as enjoyable as this one was for me.

10. ESHBG

ESHBG Pooh-Bah (2,099) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Victory Summer Hazy Love - I am a fan of Summer Love and saw this recently and giving a single a shot, it's really good and similar to the regular but different enough and definitely has the whole hazy look and taste going on. I will be drinking this again along with the regular Summer Love.

And does everything have to be labeled an IPA these days? At 5.5% and very low bitterness this should be branded as a Pale Ale...but of course that could possibly lead to lower sales :rolling_eyes:

11. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,596) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado

Russian River -- Velvet Glow

[​IMG]

4.36/5 rDev +9.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Clear, pale yellow body; beautiful carbonation; thick and fluffy white head. Classic German helles aroma; light breadiness with a gentle, fruity aroma. The taste mirrors the smell; biscuit-like; mildly herbal with a fantastically balanced hop bitterness; a bit of honey and musk melon. Light body; soft and pillowy; gentle sweetness initially, finishes with a mild dryness.

There is nothing like finding another tasty and well-made beer from one of your favorite breweries. Russian River did an excellent job creating balance, depth, and complexity with this beer.
    ------------
    I haven't done much today except rest a bit, play tons of sudoku puzzles, and now partake in the manly art of grilling...this new beer pairs well with the task and the upcoming food...

12. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California

Thanks to @Shanex for kicking things off today. I'm a huge fan of Bigfoot, but for some reaon never tried with BA version. Here we go! Poured from fridge temp. Pours a nice golden brown with a good amount of light tan head. Nose is classic Bigfoot, but with a really nice vanilla and toffee theme pushing in. Really nice notes of red grapes, pine needles, and some nuts. The taste is fantastic. Hoppy bitterness upfront, but a really nice sweetness comes in with the bourbon barrels. Toffee, vanilla, raisins, wood, tree sap, leather, bread, and bourbon. Really nice and balanced. Mouthfeel is medium with a nice flavorful mouth coating. Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

13. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I liked Shiver a lot! Thank you. I'm happy to see the Kane glass has held up.

woemad likes this.
  14. larryi86

larryi86 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,106) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Good evening NBS! Spent the day with at my future in-laws and had a great day. Home now enjoying Old Shoolhouse Crystal Visions, thanks @beertunes!

3.84/5 rDev +9.7%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thank you beertunes for this
    16 oz can poured into a snifter

A- A slightly hazy golden straw with small white head.

S- Citrus, some melons, piney, a little earthy.

T- Citrus, earth, piney, some melons.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A decent NEIPA, hops could be bigger but no off flavors.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

MNAle, SABERG, Txex06 and 18 others like this.
  15. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hey what's going on?!

Well I am just back from a bit of a beach run. Kind of a bit mixed emotions, as it's the first time really going anywhere after well... being locked down and it's no quite the same. Still.. I could make the most of it, and still help out and be safe.

One of the things it provided was some new surroundings for some many new beers. Here is one of many I hope to have. So let's see what's new for our hero today!

[​IMG]

Bored In The House - Tall Tales Brewing Co.

Poured from the can into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Simple orange and somewhat light brown body color, with a hint of middling muddiness and opaque quality but not terribly. Classic bleach white head, kind of fine bath-foamy actually and reaching just under three fingers. Good island puck retention, and more big bubbly lacing to go with it. Not hazy, not turbid. Simple solid looking IPA.

Aroma is really nice. Rich sensing tropical hop notes hit in a big whiff when first exploring. This is a spritzy juiced up almost Orangina soda citrus note, more so than tropical, but also with not as much artificial sensing or big sweetness in fruit either. It's quite impressive, but does hint towards a little candy smelling, but surprisingly not overly sweet which I like.

The palate is just a real hop pleasure. Simple malt backbone, but surprisingly unexpected for an 8 percent abv, and almost light in texture However the palate is just a fruit bursting gem. Hitting more so in the mid palate with a pithy mix of citrus and real bitter tolerable bursting mango like tropical notes on first sip and light sugar. Real sense of juiced up sweet tropical fruit, pineapple, guava, more mango, but then a real controlled bitter melon almost herbal spicy hits on the aftertaste to make some excellent fluid contrast to the sweet tones. The fruit quality on this has me shocked because it tastes like added fruit but no such disclaimer in the beer whatsoever. And true to an IPA the bitterness lingers like a finely toasty cigar.

Tropical spicy rush of an IPA. Very impressed with this one and drinks stupid easy at this high abv which is shocking. A beer like this could easily slip into a sugary boozy mess but it is not even close. Well done take a bow.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cheers

16. Amendm

Amendm Pooh-Bah (2,305) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society

Late to the party as usual, however, I got a nice one this week.
    Labeled as a " Classic Lager", this Beer smells like a Pilsner with a Vienne Lager sense of sweetness, The taste begins like a Vienne Lager then dries at the finish like a Pilsner. All the while maintaining a Helles look and feel.

I placed this one in the American Lager style, Helles would be the closest other choice.

Ladies and Gentlemen, making its BA debut, Lager Than Life from Bull Spit Brewing Co. of scenic Lancaster Massachusetts.

Cheers and Happy Fathers Day.

[​IMG]

Lager Than Life

Bull Spit Brewing Company
    American Lager | 4.5% ABV

4.29/5 rDev 0% | Average: 4.29
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A soft pour from a 16-oz. can (canned on 5/17/20) produces a fat finger of fizzy white foam with a soapy center that becomes rocky. Deep golden straw color, clear with fine rising bubbles.

Biscuit and toasted white bread greet the nose with faint floral hops, dough and cracker in the rear.
    The smell is malty rich, between a Pilsner and a Vienne Lager, bready with a sense of sweetness.

As in the smell, the taste is a malty blend, balanced and clean. Hop flavor is moderate, floral with some spice added.
    Semi-sweet at first, it dries to semi-dry as hop bitterness rises to average at the crisp finish. A moderately bitter aftertaste lingers briefly. It has attributes of Helles, Vienne and Pilsners.

Medium light body with average carbonation, smooth, session-able and malty rich.
    A difficult to place in a style Beer. It has a German influence but is made with American ingredients.

17. jkblr

jkblr Grand Pooh-Bah (4,968) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good evening NBS & Happy Father's day to those who fit the bill

Here's my new beer for today
    [​IMG]
    I was excited to try this as I am a big fan of Boulevard's barrel aged beers. Much like Central Waters, I feel like they usually keep the barrel influence "just right"

Here's my review:
    12oz bottle ENJOY BY 16MAR2021 poured into a Boulevard tulip glass at fridge temp 13.2% ABV 16 IBU. The beer pours bright light slightly opaque medium amber with khaki colored head. The head recedes to a thin ring and single layer of bubbles on the surface. Minimal lacing. The aroma is sweet maple overshadowing some spicy rye whiskey barrel and rye malt. The taste is sweet maple up front with rye whiskey, oak, vanilla, marshmallow and rye malt all getting their shots in before a lightly bittered finish. The mouthfeel is medium plus bodied with a little less than medium carbonation and an undry finish. Not cloying to my taste, but like one sibling hovering a finger over the other saying "I'm not touching you" close to it. Overall, good. Honestly, I enjoy the tick, I'm glad they tried something new (for this series), but I'm glad I didn’t grab the four pack. I may buy another single to sample next March.

I'm an abnormal -10% rDev on this one. I guess I like my Rye beers like I like my Rye whiskeys - hot and spicy. No more new beer for me tonight. Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass!

18. Junior

Junior Pooh-Bah (1,859) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I thought this one started out pretty good but faded very quickly. Very quickly. The first two I had were good, the next one so-so and the last two (I had given a few away before I knew they went bad) were horrible. This was in a span of about two weeks. I think this was about three weeks old when I got it.

gopens44 likes this.
  19. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Grand Pooh-Bah (3,586) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Meanwhile, regular Summer Love is a blonde ale anyway, not an IPA.

20. micada

micada Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Local shop had some Old Nation B-43, or whatever their brut is. I’m not quite into brut, so I passed, but I hope they get the M version soon.

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, Reef and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.