New Beer Weekend #123

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by SawDog505, Nov 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,073) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks, hope you get a chance to find some where you shop. I was most excited about the hops presence, which I really note in these beers. If I tasted this blind, I would guess this was an American take on the style.

Spiteful’s Best Bitter, which usually has a strong hoppy presence in most offerings, brew theirs more malt forward, consistent with the cask offerings I’ve enjoyed by Roaring Table and others, and Coniston and other British breweries I’ve enjoyed on cask in Chicago and at ChurchKey in DC. Really want to find this on cask and compare notes.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It’s one of my favorite styles, and with Honker’s Ale no longer packaged (but still very nice on draft), really hope this continues to be shipped fresh to our market. I am a Honker’s Ale fan, but it is not in the same league as London’s Pride, at least for my palate.

Speaking of GI coffee, I had a feeling this beer would be polarizing when I tried it a few weeks ago, due to two factors:

1. The price point, especially in comparison to excellent beers like Revolution’s Cafe Deth, Lagunitas’ BA Willetized, Central Waters Brewhouse Coffee Stout and other BA coffee releases.

2. The fact that the coffee is more subtle leaving room to explore the base barrel and other flavor components. Many coffee stouts I come across are more like a sledgehammer than a nice taste compliment to the overall beer. I wasn’t sure if my first take based of 2ish ounces and whether a full serving would yield a different take.

I’ve had BCBS coffee before, and the coffee plus variants after the infection year, so it won’t be a NBW review, but I’ll perform a review with BA Willitized in the side by side thread.

Also still need to find a 2022 Anchor Our Christmas Ale side by side vs. SN Celebration. Sadly I struck out at the first two Jewel stores which listed the beer online as delivered (Lagunitas beer finder) and in stock (Jewel Shopping Online).

Sadly the beer has limited distribution here than in prior years, with the Jewel liquor department person stating their store only received two cases this year.

2. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Grand Pooh-Bah (5,891) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A typical Saturday. First to the Recycling Center for cardboard and bottles, then did the grocery shopping, then took the dogs for a walk.
    I'm settled down on the couch, ready for college football.
    My new beer is Light Speed from BrewDog, a "light" NEIPA.
    Hazy gold color; small, white, quickly disappearing head; tiny bit of lace.
    Aroma is fruity and floral.
    Taste of pineapple, orange, and caramel.
    Not much mouthfeel, bland.

[​IMG]

3. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,596) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cellarmaker Brewing Co. -- Wild Gooseberry Chase
    India pale ale
    ABV: 7.1%; pouring temperature: 43 °F; canning info: NEW LABEL WHO DIS? 10/10/22
    Source: @Dimidiata (BIF #16)

[​IMG]

4/5 rDev -3.1%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Hazy, tangerine yellow-orange body; thick, rocky head with sharp cuts of foam; huge, sticky sheets and legs of foam inside the glass. Nice aroma; pungent Nelson Sauvin nose; grape skin; earthy melon. Nicely balanced taste; cantaloupe and grape must; subliminal oat-like flavor; moderate overall bitterness. Medium-heavy mouthfeel; smooth and velvety; semi-juicy with a slow-developing dryness towards the finish.

A very nice, easy drinking hazy India pale ale featuring 100% Nelson Sauvin hops.

[​IMG]

4. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

5. SawDog505

SawDog505 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,666) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG] Mast Landing and Vitamin Sea #33. Poured into a 13 oz wide mouth glass canned on 11/17/22. Pours a hazy orange with a finger sticky white head that leaves a thin wall of lace. 4.5

Aroma is tangerine, passionfruit, guava, and apricot. 4.25

Taste follows tangerine, passionfruit, guava, and apricot really well balanced. 4.5

Mouthfeel is above average, not sticky or dry, soft gentle creamy carbonation, and at 8.2% easy drinking and loaded with flavor. 4.25

Overall this is a really well made beer and it seems like it was inspired by Larry Bird my favorite of all time. 4.25

#85 SawDog505, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  6. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,596) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cycle Brewing -- BA SZN - 3 Year Woodford Chocolate Rye Aged Stout
    Barrel-aged stout
    ABV: 12.0% (approximate); pouring temperature: 47 °F; bottling info: 2022

[​IMG]

4.18/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tar black body, extremely opaque; thin, dark brown head; spidery sheets and fingers of foam inside the glass. Excellent dark roasted grain nose; oak; baker's chocolate; whiskey. Sweet chocolate flavor infused with a healthy note of bourbon; moderate bitterness; suggestions of cherry and vanilla. Heavy, viscous body; smooth and oily texture; heavy residual sugar presence; nice boozy warmth counterbalances the sweetness.

Per the brewery's web site, Woodford rye barrels were used for this beer. For a barrel aged imperial stout, this beer comes across nicely balanced and flavorful with its malt richness and boozy bite. Very nice.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...a nice beer to sip while watching the Michigan - Ohio State football game...

7. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,561) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All right, I'm back again after a quick trip to a local brewery for this beauty:

[​IMG]
    Barrel Aged Red Menace - Pantown Brewing - St. Cloud, MN - Russian Imperial Stout - 10% ABV

This beer was aged for 20 months in Panther Distillery barrels.

It's been a while since I've had their Red Menace, and looking back at my history, I did not like it much. I've got a feeling if I tried the OG once again, I'd like it a lot more.

The barrel aged one was quite delicious. It did seem dark fruit heavy to me, which is not a bad thing. It did also have chocolate caramel and toffee in the mix. The barrel did add a bit of heat to this beer. I was happy with it, and would get it again. Sadly, it's a taproom only, so my target in the NBS BIF won't be getting this one.

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/54849/630561/

4.14/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
    Pitch black pouring from the tap. There's almost no head, and what's there dissipates rapidly.
    The nose is quite full of dark fruit. I get a lot of plums in it. I also get some brown sugar.
    The flavor starts out with dark fruit- mostly plum, but some raisin as well. The flavor then goes to chocolate, caramel and toffee. There's some molasses in the mix as well. There's a bit of a kick that the Panther barrels added to the mix.
    The body is maybe a tad bit light, but not overly so. There's a faint warming heat from the ABV and the barrel.
    Quite good and I am glad I tried it.

I will be back in a bit with another new beer. Cheers!

8. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Grand Pooh-Bah (3,842) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sneak Box
    [​IMG]
    5.4% pale ale by Kane Brewing Company

Poured front a pint can, the body is a hazy gold with small initial head and good lacing throughout the tasting.

Aroma features a dank citrus. Pineapple and lemon notes.

Body provides a lighter citrus flavor than the nose. Tart. A malt backbone is present, but the ale isn't overly malty. A light hoppy bite mid-swallow with an easy finish that nicely dries up the hop bite.

Good carbonation and mouthfeel.

Another solid beer from Kane. Thanks to @HoppingMadMonk for the pale ale.

9. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Sir Isaac's Stout, 13.9% ABV. Pours thick and dark brown with a 1+ finger light-brown head that left no lacing. Nose is sweet fig and graham. Taste follows, quite sweet, slightly bitter. Decent thick mouthfeel, overall outstanding.

4.46/5 rDev -1.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

10. Nugganooch

Nugganooch Grand Pooh-Bah (3,906) Jan 13, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Field & Oak ~ Blackberry 2019 Harvest
    [​IMG]

Field & Oak being the Spontaneous beer project of Kane Brewing - Ocean, NJ
    [​IMG]

2020 Bottling

The pour yields a gorgeous ruby red grapefruit body with faint pink and purplish hues. Semitransparent/unfiltered look. Lively carb/bubbles develop a smooth tan cap with minimal to no cling on the glass.
    Smells more commonly like blueberry fruit to me if I didn't know better. Macerated with the skins. There is a firm yeasty sour dough starter note. Light lemony citric acid and a touch of acetone presence.
    Tastes opens like tart blueberry as well. To be honest can't say I have a guy consumed a Blackberry in many years so it's more than likely just me. The Bramble Fruit definitely falls more on the tart and underripe side of things with a cream cheese/curd like lacto funkiness along with it. A bit of Citric lemon touches down and still there lies a light solvent like note but that does not really detract overall.
    Mouthfeel is light and tart rolling into a dry and playfully piquant finish.

This is the third 2020 rendition I have sampled from the F&O lot gifted to me by @mdfb79 and all have been very good and interesting to dive into. Some real nice balance overall with the fruit additions and ability to coax those wild yeasty cultures without going too sharp in any one direction. Overall I would say their project is a success. Cheers BA!

11. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,561) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well I decided to go into my German beer stash I picked up on Wednesday, and here is my next beer of the day.

[​IMG]
    Husaren-Trunk - Festbier/Wiesnebier - Germany - 5.3% ABV

Ok, It looks great and smells great. Those are the high points of the beer, and it's why I rated it as hish as I did. When I started drinking it, it went downhill fast. There's a weird bitterness on the back that's totally not pleasing. I described it as dirty flavored. I would never actually buy this beer again if I saw it on the shelf, which it wasn't. It's just not very good, or well made.

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/36495/443369/

3.12/5 rDev -16.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
    Semi murky golden pour. The head is white, 2 finger, but not too long lasting. There's almost no lacing on the glass.
    The aroma is full of malts. I get a lot of bread/biscuit/grain aroma in this beer. I also get a slightly earthy grassy aroma as well.
    Taste - The flavor isn't nearly as good as the aroma lets on. There's a full malt bill here, as expected. There's a bit of buttery biscuit here, somewhat grainy. The flavor tastes somewhat dirty to me, if that makes sense. It's not too pleasing. There's a bitter aftertaste that adds to this impression.
    The body isn't watery, but the bitterness on the backside doesn't lend to a great feeling beer to me.
    This beer started out pretty good, but fell off fast. I keep lowering my rating as I go on with it. Would not get this one again.

I will be back later, and hopefully with something better.

12. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Grand Pooh-Bah (3,380) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Enjoying the Ohio-Michigan game in Dickson TN, have to drink local

Poured deep amber color, the beige head dissipated quickly. Made me think that it was an amber, not a brown.
    The aroma was malty and semi sweet with a hint of the hops.
    The taste followed, good malty base with the smooth maize appropriate for an ale trying to reflect Mexican style. The hops just peek out for a touch of bite.
    The feel is slightly viscous, I’ll guess because of the flaked corn, but it works well with the flavor.

13. DavyJonesXXX

DavyJonesXXX Pooh-Bah (2,824) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

It's ok. I'm going to take notes on the next 1 to review just wanted chill with this 1 without thinking much.

14. jkblr

jkblr Grand Pooh-Bah (4,968) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    I actually picked up a supermarket mix six yesterday. It's been a while since the beers were fresh enough to consider. Three of the six were Narwhal, but it made it easy to pick up two new to me beers and a bottle of Old Fezziwig.
    [​IMG]
    Samuel Adams Black Lager
    12oz bottle Best Before April 2023 poured into a Perfect Pint glass at fridge temp 4.9% ABV 19 IBU. The beer pours medium brown in color with mahogany highlights and khaki colored head. The head recedes to a thin ring and single layer of tiny bubbles. No lacing. The aroma is mild with roasty notes of bakers chocolate and coffee. The taste is mildly roasty and slightly toasty malt. Mixed flavors of caramel and coffee meet with an earthy, mild final bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, good.

Cheers all!

15. foundersasap

foundersasap Maven (1,393) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Celebrating a win, might go a few deep tonight, Kent Falls Porter, smooth and creamy, well sustained head, coffee, nuts, bakers chocolate, medium body, nicely bitter, thanks to @Roy_Hobbs for this one [​IMG]

16. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Back again after no new beer yesterday; another one from my brother in law who gave me the Newcastle too. This another classic that I have not had, seem like that’s been a theme for me lately. I love that he loves beer so much cause we always swap and try new things. Here we go…

Leffe - Blonde

[​IMG]

Pours a dark and beautifully clear shade of gold; vigorous quick rising perfectly white head; great staying power and top notch lacing.

A very pleasant aroma; it’s a soft and gentle vanilla with baking spices mixed in. The aromas are so perfect in their presence; there is also a subtlety sweet crusty white bread like note.

The taste is as pleasant and balanced as the nose; it just reminds me of vanilla laced bread with hints of yeast driven spice notes. It’s almost has nilla wafer like flavor to it. There is a very minor old world hop presence on the finish.

Medium body; typical more vibrant carbonation that most Belgian beers have, this one is particularly creamy and soft for me. There is a low bitterness on the finish and it is moderately dry; this beer really begs for the next sip for me.

What a delicious and very well balanced beer, I love the vanilla notes I get in this beer they are so balanced with everything else. I highly recommend trying this beer if you haven’t had it, I wish I had tried sooner. I’m always so impressed when so much flavor is yeast driven in these Belgian beers.

17. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,553) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Whats up NBW!
    Another rare Saturday off.
    Hope everyone had a great TG.
    First I just picked this up today- a rare sighting of Tripping Animals in these parts. My past experiences have been pretty good. Then I see Nelson in the hop blend. Yup. Anarchy Fuel DIPA.
    A hazy yellow gold with a large creamy head that leaves a ton of web like lacing.
    Smell is dank as heck with that earthy Sauvignon Blanc/gooseberry from that Nelson. Sweet orange, lemon and grassy as in blades and cannabis.
    Big aroma here.
    The taste unfortunately is not quite as huge as the aroma. Nice juicy orange, lemon, and the Nelson sings in the background with that green almost tannic grape. Solid pithy bitterness and some pine. Soft in the mouth and lightly carbonated. Its tasty and goes down very well for the unnoticeable 8.5% Worth a try for sure. I expected a little more blast of flavor but still its a very good brew. Hope youre enjoying yours. Cheers![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Bare Hands Brewery Double THAI.P.A cheers @ovaltine 10.0% ABV; 4.21 overall

Pours a slightly hazed honey color with one finger of beige head. Pretty good head retention & lacing

S: Coriander in spades, mangoes,

T: Follows the nose, some lime, coconut & a touch of pineapple up front. More sweet notes as this warms, but lime & coriander are ever present, a little passion fruit as well. Finishes a little dry with lime, cilantro, & a touch of pineapple

MF: Medium body, fairly creamy carbonation; nice balance

Super drinkability, this would kill with some Coconut or Hot & Sour Soup

[​IMG]

19. champ103

champ103 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,682) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

At a newish brewery in Houston. I have reviewed a few of their beers on NBW threads in the last month or so.

At Black Page Brewing. Neighbor, Neighbor Dopplebock. 8 % ABV.
    [​IMG]

Pours a dark ruby red, almost brown color. A one finger beige head forms that gently recedes. Plenty of lace is left behind.
    Aroma is of toasted malts and dark baked bread. Like walking into a bakery, even peppery spice, almost nutmeg like, with some dark fruits in there as well.
    Taste wise, like the nose, toasted malts, dark baked bread, dark fruits like cherries and raisins. Again, a nice spicy character that I like. It does become a little sweet candy like in the finish but doesn't become too cloying.
    A full body with moderate carbonation. That becomes ultra smooth. There is a nice hefty chewiness from the malts. A nice sipper, that I can easily come back to.

This is a nice malty Dippelbock that has some more nuance that a lot of other local examples of the style. Another solid offering from Black Page.

Overall score is 3.9, solid B+
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63888/630594/?ba=champ103#lists

Also staring a Salman Rushdie novel I haven't read before. Ever since his attach, I have been wanting to get into his books again. So far really interesting like everything that he does. Black Paige has a wonderful outdoor space to relax, enjoy a beer and start a book.

20. MontpelierArtie

MontpelierArtie Devotee (301) Jun 23, 2010 Vermont

Good Saturday evening. Finally have a chance to check-in with my favorite forum. Just received the last bi-monthly delivery of a gifted beer club. If this box of 12 is like the others I’d summarize my review as “hey, it’s free beer!” Not much to recommend.
    Here is Alewerks Weekend Lager, 4.8% abv. No bottle date.
    Pours a clear straw yellow and barely any head despite active carbonation. Smell is like straw I mulch on my gardens, slight floral/dandelion. Taste is mass produced Euro lager without the skunk. Mouthfeel is thin and I know I’ll feel bloated soon. Hey, it is a free beer
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.