Weathered Souls: PB Fusion Technique

Discussion in 'Extreme Beer Box: BIG STOUTS (2023)' started by Todd, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Please use this thread to discuss and post pics for...

Weathered Souls Brewing Co.
    PB Fusion Technique
    11.5% | 16oz can
    Imperial Stout with coconut, brownie fudge and peanut butter flavor.

...and don't forget to rate the beer (click on the beer name above and then "Rate It") on BeerAdvocate!

2. Oak1a

Oak1a Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2016 Ohio

This was good, but got a bit too sweet for me as it warmed. Second half of the glass was almost overly sweet. To each their own though.

3. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Pooh-Bah (2,299) Feb 27, 2007 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Great beer!

Take home points: very sweet novelty/dessert beer. Tastes like a peanut butter melt away. Alcohol is well hidden.

My full review. Overall score 4.28

Nose is very heavy on peanut butter. A little bit of brownie fudge and the coconut got lost in translation. Heavy on chocolate malt as well

Flavor is much like the nose. A hint of coconut upfront with a lot of peanut butter and a chocolate malt backbone. Finish is all peanut butter. It tastes 100% like a peanut butter melt away at the end.

Body is heavy and very smooth and sticky with low carbonation.

Overall this is a great novelty beer. It's very sweet and the alcohol is well hidden. A little too sweet and heavy to enjoy a large serving of. Definately a dessert beer. Perfect to split with someone!

4. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Grand Pooh-Bah (3,907) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My lead off Stout from the Extreme Beer Box. Lots of peanut butter and chocolate. I'm not getting any coconut though. It's pretty sweet for my tastes, but YMMV. Alcohol is quite well hidden. Not something that I could consume in quantity, but it's fun as a one-off sipper.

5. TJSoundguy

TJSoundguy Zealot (545) Jul 13, 2013 New York

Nice pastry stout - Big peanut butter in the nose. Tastes of chocolate & peanut butter. Coconut is mostly un-noticeable. Thick & rich. VERY sweet, but that's part of the pastry stout game, no? Couldn't have this every day, but tasty & well-crafted.

6. MichaelMcKenzie

MichaelMcKenzie Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2023

#3 from box. Another very good selection. Pours extremely dark and oily- love it! Peanut butter on nose, strong chocolate and PB flavors. Minimal coconut. Just a very tad bit of smoke on the finish. Sweet, as would be expected for a pastry stout. Alcohol well hidden for an 11% ABV. Love PB stouts and this one did not disappoint. 3/3 Todd.

eppCOS, bluejacket74, DIM and 4 others like this.
  7. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Enjoying this right now. More fudge than peanut butter up front but they are working well together. The peanut butter comes on a bit stronger at the finish as the coconut asserts itself. Good stuff, I want a candy bar that tastes like this.

8. kalexeff

kalexeff Crusader (416) Nov 15, 2020 Ohio
    Society Trader

3rd sample out of the EBB: Big Stouts. Between ruby brown and dark brown. Thick brown head that started out at 1/2” thick, but blew up to overflow the glass. Creamy. Sweet. More coconut than peanut butter. Difficult to tell the difference. Both well done. Either one might be impressive. But they are confusing together. Very good Stout. But I’m not crazy about it.

9. Eddieeight

Eddieeight Pundit (772) Jul 30, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Got this in the Extreme Beer Big Stout box from Beer Advocate. The second one I'm trying. My first beer from Weathered Souls. Poured out deep dark midnight brownie brown with a HUGE head, maybe 2 inches of dark brown foam that just kind of lingered and didn't want to go anywhere. Very cool. Oh. My. Freaking. God. The smell is absolutely WONDERFUL, it is like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, or a peanut butter brownie. In the olfactory realm, this is one of the best smelling beers I have ever encountered. Now a sip - holy cow, wow, jeez, this is an EXCELLENT beer. It is rich and creamy, full and sweet. Brownie batter fudge dream, like I'm licking the batter right off the spoon from some peanut butter fudge cake. A hint of coffee and plenty of baker's chocolate to provide some bitterness, and a good amount of sweet foamy richness that delivers some kind of wonderful delivery punch that makes me want to really savor every sip. Mouthfeel is thick and full, moderately carbonated. MAN! This beer delivers! I LOVE It! This is like all the dark nocturnus fudge I ever wanted, I can literally chew this and savor it in all its chocolatey glory. This beer is incredible, probably the most successful peanut butter imperial stout i've EVER had. If I could get a hold of a dozen cans of this, I would. But for now, I'll have to settle for one can, enjoyed to the last swallow on this cold winter night. DAMN i'm impressed! This gets my TOP marks.

10. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Maven (1,478) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Beer #5 from the box. Watching the Eagles-49ers game (quick aside: @FBarber I’m guessing you’re happy about the halftime score!:beers:) This is a treat! Smooth, creamy, chocolatey, with a good mix of PB and coconut. The aroma is awesome, though. Tons of delicious peanut butter fudge, not much coconut coming through. It’s not overly sweet and there’s a nice bitterness underneath it all (@Eddieeight is spot on with “baker’s chocolate “). It has a thick body, but my pour had minimal head and seems only slightly carbonated. The flavors clash slightly on the finish, but it’s still an impressive beer. I do suspect that these flavors might work better as an actual brownie, but I appreciate the creativity and execution of this one.

eppCOS, bluejacket74, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  11. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

you know it :grin:

12. webbedtoes

webbedtoes Zealot (573) Nov 1, 2014 Oregon
    Society

This is a tasty-ass beer. I love the peanut butter explosion, coating your mouth with lingering coffee-chocolatey goodness.

4th beer from the box; first to raise a head, especially with a vigorous pour. Thick, yet surprisingly slick, in the mouth. Peanut butter dominates the first sips, but chocolate rises along with its temperature. Aroma takes some warming to relax into the expected pb cup sensation. Coconut is so well integrated it's not apparent, but surely it's what takes this into proper pb cup territory. Superb.

13. webbedtoes

webbedtoes Zealot (573) Nov 1, 2014 Oregon
    Society

Baker's chocolate indeed!

14. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Grand Pooh-Bah (5,534) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

not bad! definitely less sweet than i expected it to be. aromas of chocolate peanut butter cookies. the flavors are there too but the finish lacked a little of the initial upfront flavors. still, highly enjoyable. cheers!!

GrumpyGas, eppCOS, MadMadMike and 3 others like this.
  15. pulse

pulse Zealot (691) Mar 22, 2016 Ohio

Oh boy. Only #3. Now I'm behind. But this is really good. The PB is strong - thankfully, too many PB beers end up being very subtle or more peanut than butter. The chocolate and peanut butter are very obvious and help balance each other out, although it's still a bit on the sweeter side. It definitely delivers on the fudgey peanut butter brownie quality. Or a buckeye? Coconut is harder to detect here, but yeah, baker's chocolate adds good bitterness. Pretty thick and motor oily without any head to speak of, smells like it tastes, smooth and very easy to drink. Too bad there's only one, I know some people who would love this.

16. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Poured at fridge temp. Pours black with a very thin layer of brown head. Looks thick! The nose is peanut butter, malts, milk chocolate, vanilla, coffee grounds, a bit a wood. Very nice.

The taste is fantastic. Tons of chocolate, malts, slight toffee, brown sugar, peanut butter, some maple fudge, vanilla, oak, and coffee grounds. Wonderfully balanced and thick and creamy on the mouthfeel. Overall, a big winner for me.

[​IMG]

GrumpyGas, eppCOS, sulldaddy and 3 others like this.
  17. F4Phantom

F4Phantom Crusader (475) Dec 30, 2008 Georgia
    Society

I'm one of those people who does not like the taste of peanuts or peanut butter, so I thought I would just knock this one off as my second stout from the box before I move on to those that really sound good. Damn, was I wrong! This is perhaps the first peanut butter flavored beer that I would consider buying again. The peanut butter flavor is in a tight tango with the chocolate resulting in a pretty nice dance. While there is an obvious PB taste, the overall impression that I get is something unique and surprisingly good. One of the reasons I wanted to order the Extreme Beer Box - Stouts box was to broaden my beer horizon and PB Fusion is the poster child for why keeping an open mind is good (not to mention tasty)! Thanks Todd for including this in the box!
    Cheers!

brentk56, GrumpyGas, eppCOS and 5 others like this.
  18. Violentvixen

Violentvixen Devotee (339) Jul 25, 2021 Oregon

Seriously. Made me think I was in the kitchen making brownies. Stunning.

19. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,721) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

GrumpyGas, eppCOS, sulldaddy and 3 others like this.
  20. johlac66

johlac66 Pundit (978) Jul 19, 2014 California
    Society

Deep dark chocolate peanut butter fudge goodness, wow! An excellent fusion of aromas and flavors. Delicious!

eppCOS, MadMadMike, sulldaddy and 2 others like this.