Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

1 beer for 6 months

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, Apr 20, 2013.

1. mulder1010

I think a few of you know I am working remote in the Kimberley. Very remote as am closer to Timor than to Perth. Good times. The beer has not suffered though. Work with a bunch of Hahn 3.5 drinkers and can understand why they drink it.

Anyway I am looking for suggestions on what to drink for the next 6 months. There are rules to this.
    1. Max $ value of case is $100
    2. No cubes. 24 only. 16 bottles only get you so far up here and weight is an issue.
    3. No mix and match. One beer at a max value of $100 that is available in a case.

Just to be clear and give examples. first month up here I had a case of Coopers Stout.
    Second month a case of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. Thanks for the help.

2. dgilks

Ruthless Rye was a pretty good pick. Maybe Bigfoot if you can still find any. Ace of Spades or Seeing Double would be a nice way to mix it up too.

3. gulden

With it being hot up there I would recommend Stone and Wood Pacific Ale - a lighter style of beer than Coopers Stout and well under the price range.

Other than that - anything of the Sierra Nevada range would go well I think.

Hope the Kimberley is good regardless!

Darwin553 likes this.
  4. Lukie

just get a couple of cases of corona mate; throw some lemon into it

5. CarlisleWineBin

Maybe I can bust a nut and get some Riverside your way...

6. mulder1010

Have 12 cases of it here. Can not give it away. Corona is better when it is expired

7. dgilks

But we are talking about Pat here. Bourbon Barrel RIS runs through his veins so one suspects that irrespective of the weather, Pacific Ale isn't going to cut it.

8. mulder1010

Considering it was 38 today I would consider it. Issue is getting it to kununurra.

Been on a hop binge of late. A good suggestion

9. dgilks

So unpredictable Pat.

10. hawthorne00

Can't find a slab price, but sure I've had Harviestoun Old Engine Oil for under $100. Only medium bodied, works with a moderate chill.

11. CromDubh

Old Engine Oil is incredibly priced in Australia. My last carton was $57

12. danieelol

When are we getting the Imperial version?

13. CarlisleWineBin

14. sirob

It'd be pacific ale hands down for me.

Dont know what the space issue is with cubes though. If space is an issue a cube and a half is the same space and volume of beer as a reg case

15. mulder1010

You could have suggested that :)

16. mulder1010

It is not so much a space issue but a drinking issue. Can really get one delivery a month so cubes are a bit of a nuisance. One beer a day gives you 16 beers where 24 gets 24 where I am at.

Anyway, got a case of torpedo IPA for this month. Appreciate the suggestions and will go with stone and wood or Old engine oil for next month. Good suggestions.

gulden likes this.
  17. sinkas

Beer Trader

What are you doing up there?

18. mulder1010

F&B manager at a resort in the Kimberley.

19. mungus

4pines pale?

20. heygeebee

Been thinking about this one for a while.. a few considerations. Interesting you tend to be appreciating lighter styles given temp/humidity
    • Drink lighter styles now, as winter comes and evenings chill, go a little heavier
    • Buying cases is risky, if you get 24 bad/stale/accidentally expired beers, that's a crying shame given location, so by that reckoning you need to steer away from those smaller brewers, who just occasionally might have, ah-hem, consistency issues.
    • Also - given a 24 purchase, I would not go for anything too extreme tase-wise, get fed up with the overall drinkability.
    So, good suggestions all round, but I would add in the Ballast Point IPA from Dannos. LCPA if fresh, of course, fits. Southwark stout. Weihenstephaner Hefe probably just outside price point.... Duvel more so.

Interesting concept - I don't buy too many 24 cases..... made me think.

21. CarlisleWineBin

heygeebee, his 'winter' is going to get pretty damn humid!! Expired beers shouldnt be a problem (I hope). Weihenstephaner fits into the price category, can mix styles up a bit as well! I'm sure Mulder1010 can handle constant extreme tastes also!!

I think $$ is always going to be the decider. Mix up with 4 x different 6pks would be my suggestion.....

22. heygeebee

was interesting while I was up in that neck of woods... driving the Kimberly across May to July... was warm at night to start with, but then noticeably temperatures dropped off as the sun set as our trip went on. I guess I was referring to nights mostly being drinking time.

not sure when on the actual coast whether sea breeze will actually add to humidity or not.... all I know is those camp fires were mighty welcome :)

CarlisleWineBin likes this.
  23. CarlisleWineBin

The humidity in the later months to Jan- Feb will be constant, night and day. You sweat the beer out as soon as you drink it!!

24. mulder1010

Good suggestion but in Kununurra, LCPA is not available at all. Nor Matilda Bay. Matso's has the market up here very well taken up. Price wise I am better off staying away from Matso's as no value for price.
    Weather wise it is getting cooler and less humid. Been 32 pretty consistantly in the daytime and now hitting 25 about 10PM. Been told by July it will be like 15 or so at night and the usual 30 in the daytime.
    Considering buying a case of narwhal or bigfoot as to slow down the drinking. Too many IPA's :) and now getting used to the climate and getting back into the imperial groove.
    I do get odd looks from other staff when I tell them how much some of the stuff I have opened up are and that I have had 2 beers and have caught the guy skulling a 6 pack of 3.5 Hahn. Got very quickly that craft beer in this part of the world is not thought of highly.

Cases are not a risk when you buy only a handful of breweries. Rogue may be next :)

25. danieelol

26. mulder1010

Old Crustatation :)

Probably Yellow snow

27. CarlisleWineBin

Brutal perhaps..

28. mulder1010

have not had that................HMMMMMMMMM

29. scmorgan

I can teach anyone to make beer - loaves and fishes ... ???

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe