10 Years on BA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by socon67, Jun 20, 2020.

1. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,261) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Back on 6\20\2010 I decided to stop just using BA to look up beer and actually join the masses. Over ten years I've had some incredible beers (2,800 and counting), made some wonderful friends in the industry, and had beer-centric experiences that I'll remember for a lifetime.

Today, I'm having a couple good friends over that I've spent quite a few of these beer experiences with for some socially distant beer on the patio.

This is a pic back ten years ago at Brewery Ommegang (and my avatar is still from that trip!) Cheers to all the BA'ers that have given me information in the forums on travel suggestions, the folks whose reviews I still use as a baseline, and to the BA Bros who made this a fun hobby of sorts.

[​IMG]

mickyge, MrOH, fehrminator and 98 others like this.
  2. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (7,176) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Cheers!

3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Cheers to 10 years!!
    :beers::beers:

4. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,588) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

... and cheers to ten more years!

ChicagoJ, Beersnake1, DISKORD and 5 others like this.
  5. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Congrats! You've made me want a La Chouffe. I've had many and sold many more. Cheers...

vurt, Shanex, beertunes and 4 others like this.
  6. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,654) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

10? Rookie. :wink:

Seriously, congratulations -- and I hope I'll be around in another 3 to celebrate a little too. :slight_smile:

7. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (620) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

We expect no less than 10 beers to be drank today to mark your 10 year anniversary :wink:

TrojanRB, rudzud, tone77 and 3 others like this.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (6,029) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Thanks for sticking around for a decade, making BA a part of your life, and making my day with this thread.

Vive la Couffe!

Cheers!

9. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,329) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

great! Just GREAT! Now I have THAT stuck in my ear. At least I can do something about the sudden and mysterious craving for a Rouchbier.

Todd likes this.
  10. socon67

Society

Ten beers isn't likely, but I'm a quality over quantity guy anyway. The lineup is going to include a Russian River Temptation I picked up at Bottlecraft in SD, some Yada Yada from the now defunct Barrage Brewery, and a Brooklyn Black Ops, which is appropriate since my first BA review 10 years ago was Brooklyn Sorachi Ace.

Ranbot, jasonmason, Junior and 12 others like this.
  11. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (620) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Yeah, I'm just teasing. Definitely prefer quality over quantity and sounds like you got some good ones lined up. Enjoy your Saturday!

socon67 likes this.
  12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,562) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Happy Anniversary!
    Somehow until this very moment I hadn't realized you've been on here for 17! years!

adrock314, ChicagoJ and steveh like this.
  13. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,375) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Congrats on the milestone! I'll be there in just over 3 years from now. Cheers!

Bitterbill and socon67 like this.
  14. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (803) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

congrats on ten great years. I’m about 18 months away from this milestone.

Enjoy

15. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,654) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Hah. Me either. :-/. ;-)

Ranbot, ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  16. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,171) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

I’m a couple months away from that milestone and you got me thinking about the culture of the site back then vs. now. Do you remember anything about circa 2010 BA that jumps out at you compared to circa 2020 BA?

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

No discussion about murk bombs that look like gravy.

No discussion about beers brewed with so large a quantity of hops that they burned the back of your throat when you drink them.

No discussion about...

Cheers!

18. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (241) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Beer advocate is my favorite website by far. Cheers to all of you!

19. scream

scream Meyvn (1,174) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Congrats ! Hope you are here for many more years !

FBarber and socon67 like this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Congrats, here's to ten more, and may they be as full of great beer as have the last ten. Cheers!

socon67 likes this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 20, 2002 Texas
    Society

Congratulations on ten years and thank you for your contributions to this community. Your posting caused me to consult my BeerAdvocate account, as I did not know how long I have been a member. To my astonishment... eighteen years. How time does fly. Enjoy your anniversary, with all good wishes for many to come. I will lift a glass to you. Cheers!

-Pegasus

22. socon67

Society

I've had a really diverse experience with craft beer. Back in 2010 I was a craft beer buyer for a supermarket (in addition to an IT position... long story). I was also a beer judge for the NYIBC. What I remember fondly about craft beer in 2010 was the excitement of expanded distribution. At that time NY didn't get Founders, Bells, Goose Island. Cigar City was testing the waters and having fresh Jai-Alai was a reason to get excited. Beer events and releases were celebrated as a mini-Christmas with people flocking to venues. Styles like NEIPA's were non-existant and it was more about the brewery than the beer. My first really high rating was Avery Mephistopheles, and that is the beer that actually got me onto the big ABV stouts.

23. socon67

Society

Today's celebration
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,009) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Yada Yada was an enjoyable beer, sorry to hear that Barrage has closed.

guinness77 likes this.
  25. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,688) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

3 years till the 20 year party! See you there! Lets throw back something extra tasty. Thanks for the realizations Ive made from your post!!

jrnyc, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  26. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,258) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

In October 2021, I will celebrate 20 years with BeerAdvocate; while not as busy on the site as a lot of other BAs, the site has been a fount of knowledge. It is amazing to consider all of the changes in the world of beer over the years.

billandsuz, cavedave, IKR and 7 others like this.
  27. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,972) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

It’s great to be part of this wonderful community of like minded craft beer pals. I’ll be at my 10 year anniversary this Thanksgiving 2020. Sam Smith RIS will be on the menu for sure this year (my first BA review). 2010, I was really exploring Mostly wide and regional districts stuff from my store that sells singles. Buying Locals were not really a thing in 2010 unless you had a 64 oz growler.

28. socon67

Society

Congrats on the upcoming milestone. On Long Island in 2010, there were maybe five or so craft breweries (at least five that were on my radar. If more I didn't even know about them). So the concept of local was niche, and I was more concerned with what I couldn't get. The Beers of Fame are still a list a go to, and I recall seeing breweries like Russian River and Founders and going "maybe someday". The industry changed alot since then.

Junior, bubseymour and traction like this.
  29. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,972) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Hah, good point...I remember about 2-3 weeks after I joined BA, I printed off the list of the top 250 beers and walked into my local store and said "which of these in the top 20 or so do you have available"? You can imagine how that went over. I'm sure that is just a right of passage by most noobs to craft beer.

30. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Zealot (581) Jul 16, 2003 California

Congratulations from another old timer (17 years?!). The community here is what makes this place what it is.

31. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (741) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Celebrating 10 years myself here on BA!
    Gotta thank @Tomdee74 for giving me a heads up.

Cheers to good beer!

32. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (397) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

That's longer than any site I've been on (of course, most of those sites are long dead)

Out of beer, so I'll have a dram for you

DEdesings57, Bitterbill and socon67 like this.
  33. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,154) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Damn, my 10 year was in March! The beer that launched my craft beer obsession was Green Flash West Coast IPA!!

34. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (741) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

It's actually 11 years......lol....my bad.

pbrian and jrnyc like this.
  35. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (429) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I'm just past 14 years on here...yikes -
    but I was a beer geek for a solid 10 years before that.
    I think I was on and off this site before actually registering for it - I know I'd been to a bunch of their fests starting early 2ks.

36. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,282) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I'm coming up on 10 years in August, myself. Cheers!

smutty33 likes this.
  37. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,928) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

I hit 10 years back on April 9 and my passion is as strong ever. Pliny The Younger is still the beer I still have yet to try and was number one in the world on BA. Sculpin was the number single IPA did not exist in NH. Now we have it and we never find fresh, basically a shelf turd. Besides Oskar Blues craft beer did not exist in cans. Now at my part time job selling beer, we have 2 doors with craft bottles as cans have taken over the industry and that is a great thing. We had Sierra Nevada, Victory, Rogue, Stone, Sam Adams, Sebago, and locally pretty much Smuttynose to choose from. Now locally I could literally just drink them and be happy as a pig in shit. Congrats on 10 glorious years and who knows what will happen the next 10. Cheers

Junior, eppCOS, socon67 and 1 other person like this.
  38. socon67

Society

I was able to try PtY at an event at Minks in Philly about 5 years ago. I find it a bit too hot and prefer the PtE, but that's really just preference. Craft beer has come a long way, but I can say that back in 1995 I had a Sam Adams Triple Bock. That beer and Samiclaus were my early experiences of extreme beers.

Junior and SawDog505 like this.
  39. lastmango

lastmango Defender (691) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Congratulations and thank you for helping Ba be successful!!!

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,389) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Salud! And to 10 more!