116 Beer IPA Blind Taste Test

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by senglish7, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,167) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Half Acre Senita was actually included, at #13

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  2. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Doesnt make it a less wrong inference.

3. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

I prefer flowery language and suspense in my writing.

Not sure why this turned into a critique of my prose.

sharpski and Billydoughnuts like this.
  4. georgiaboy8686

georgiaboy8686 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 Maryland

This is a good list! I don't agree with everything, of course. I don't think anyone has the exact same taste buds and opinions on beers, but this list has peaked my interest on a couple new beers. Thanks for posting!!

5. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,575) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Lots of familiar faces in the top 10.

6. IPAGeorge

IPAGeorge Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Illinois

Senita was in here

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,832) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You might be right there. I tried to find an explicit discussion on how they obtained their beer but what I found was lacking. it may be that breweries 'donated' their beer? I am pretty sure that the breweries did not have to pay an entrance fee; I know that some breweries choose to not participate in the GABF since they choose not to pay a fee.

Cheers!

8. Mongrel

Mongrel Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

Very thorough and well executed experiment! Made for an interesting read. I mostly agree with their methodology, but including Grapefruit Sculpin seems a bit unfair since the beer is made with fruit. I don't think the others included any similar additives? Wonder how that slipped thru

Fargrow likes this.
  9. Doomcifer

Doomcifer Champion (864) Nov 10, 2005 Rhode Island

Regarding Smuttynose, I am surprised that Rhye IPA scored above Finest Kind IPA. It's obviously subjective but I was disappointed with Rhye IPA while Finest Kind is one of my favorite beers of all-time. At least this read has put Rhye IPA onto my "give it another shot" list.

Thanks for the post. Interesting read.

10. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey

I just did the other day, my WF had Cannon on tap. Its good, and used to be my go to when living in Boston. But ever since moving here though, its been Bodhi and Headhunter and now Rajah. And for $11-12/sixer has a steady spot in my fridge.

11. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Love the list. Don't agree with a lot of it, but loved reading it. I always thought Stone Delicious was a Double IPA...pretty impressive they were able to achieve that taste in a single IPA. Same with Lunch. I guess I need to try Bell's Two Hearted again. I tried it once and didn't care for it at all, thought it tasted like a hopped up lager. Probably one of the more disappointing IPAs I've ever had. Would have liked to see how Flower Power would have done in the tasting. Or Hop Nosh. And I wonder why they went with Deschutes Inversion over Fresh Squeezed.

Can't wait for the DIPA tasting.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  12. Mongrel

Mongrel Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

Can't believe O'Dell IPA didn't crack the top 50

JLaw55 and ecpho like this.
  13. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

The Maine Beer Company quietly kicks ass...they are great...yeah...

HuskyHawk and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  14. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 New York

Indeed. Though repeated tastings for me easily put Another One well ahead of Lunch.

15. glass_house

glass_house Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

Wow, reminds me not to take the Rajah for granted. It's so easy to find fresh that I sometimes lose sight of just how great it is. Also reaffirms my belief that Loose Cannon is wildly underrated.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2012 Arizona

No Focal Banger ? Curious how that would have ranked....

17. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 California

16. Angel City Brewery IPA

Crrrraaaaaaazyy

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  18. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,863) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm not in love with their list, but they didn't have total crap at the top. Lunch, and Another One are two of my favorite IPAs. I think the list got cluttered as they approached the mid-way point. Either way, I respect them. That was a massive undertaking.

NYR-Zuuuuc and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  19. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Obviously a lot of world class IPAs not in the test, but Loose Cannon at 7 and Delicious IPA at 6? Come on man. There pretty good IPAs, but nowhere near THAT good.

20. Brew33

Brew33 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2007 Ohio

Lots of surprises in these rankings but White Rajah being #1 isn't one of them.

21. do_ob

do_ob Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

I haven't even made it all the way through the list het, but wanted to say thanks. A good read, for sure.

22. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I think White Rajah is a great beer. I would be glad to trade for some again.

But any tasting that puts 50+ beers in front of Blind Pig is suspect.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  23. shand

shand Meyvn (1,439) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

e: Already covered, missed some posts.

But the article does say at multiple points that these were samples sent to Paste from the breweries.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  24. jojo2112

I know, right. Delicious should have been #1...

25. jjdc

jjdc Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 District of Columbia

I love the work they put into this tasting -- never seen another blind one this big. Kudos. However, by my quick count they only got 4 of the top 15 BA IPAs. I get the difficulties of putting something like this together and saw their explanation, but really would have like to see how some of my favorites (and everyone else's) stacked up. Julius, Congress St., Focal, Susan, etc. Feels like a home run contest without the heaviest hitters.

26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,832) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Given that the Paste taste testing is a blind tasting maybe their top 15 is a 'better' representation than the BA list?

Cheers!

SomethingClever likes this.
  27. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,850) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'll start with the caveat that I don't really have a favorite that I think was mistreated or anything, however I do have an issue with the methodology they used and how it plays into how the results were presented.

Essentially they used the GABF process- the top two from each flight will advance. There is an understanding when doing it this way that one flight may have more 'deserving' beers than another, and that flight's #3, 4 or even 5 may be better than another flight's #1 and 2. Yet those beers are cast into the pool of '51 and beyond' in this instance. However, this tends to work for the GABF solely because they are only looking for the best 3 of all; anything not advancing would probably not attain such high honors anyway. In this case, they are arranging the Top 50- so it would have been much better to just score them numerically to a certain point, and then maybe have a Top 10 final round from there.

28. jjdc

jjdc Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 District of Columbia

I take your point and agree with it mostly, but several of the top 15 BA IPAs I've had I liked better than anything that was ranked (and same is obviously true of other BAs). It would have been interesting to see how more of the top BA IPAs would fair in a blind test. How much of our perception is rarity, hype vs. great beer.

29. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Yep. I was recently sent an Ohio package. White Rajah, Head Hunter, Hop Juju, & Chillwave.

White Rajah was easily my favorite of the bunch, and I tend to prefer DIPAs.

SammyJaxxxx and KSOZE like this.
  30. mtvolkens

mtvolkens Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2015 Florida

I don't know about the rest of you, as many of you seem pretty rattled by their opinions, but I thought this was a great article! They seemed to take their time with details, and openly stated that being a blind testing they are putting their own credibility on the line in a lot of the "beer world" opinions of them. I respect that and appreciated the insight! Now I'll probably still want to try a good lot of those beers regardless of ranking to see for myself! Cheers!

31. mtvolkens

I don't know if I agree with that, maybe so, but I could see them (since they are publishing it) asking for the "blessing" of the brewery to rank their beer in a blind test, and respectfully not doing so if a brewery opted out? But maybe not.

32. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,850) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That's all I take out of any of these lists- even the ones on BA: "here's some beers you will probably enjoy". No sense in taking it more seriously than that, and if it leads you to some new faves all the better.

ryhayes, SammyJaxxxx, JLaw55 and 2 others like this.
  33. mtvolkens

Glad some of us are on the same page!

TongoRad likes this.
  34. Greels

Greels Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Colorado

That Burnt Hickory Didjits is delicious! Went to their last "open house" where they did a one-off of it with vanilla and called it Dreamsicle..... so good. They are making some great beers over there. Their brewery will be put on the map real soon.

35. bub72ck

bub72ck Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 Virginia

Like many others I agree and disagree with some of the rankings, but I did take a lot away from the article:

1) Not surprised White Rajah was first. It's a great beer.
    2) Surprised to find some of the "big names" in the craft brew industry down so far on the list.
    3) As many IPAs that I have tried there are quite a few on this list that not only haven't tried but have never even heard of.

This to me is what makes craft beer so great. Keep these lists and taste tests in perspective. This is the result of a group of people offering opinions but in reality the only opinion that should matter to you is your own.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  36. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

More than you might think.

37. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (566) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Am I the only one who scrolled through the list and did "had it, had it... haven't had it.... had it..."

38. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No

39. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (552) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Putting Stone IPA and Smutty Finest Kind in the bottom half is a travesty. Stone Delicious is a top 10 IPA, but the flagship isn't top 50? Same with Smutty Rhye at 27. And Snake Dog, come on!

40. jojo2112

It's all so subjective though. That's why I like this test because it eliminates any brewery/beer bias. You may say Stone IPA is better than Delicious, but I would whole heartedly disagree. And that's fine.

mtvolkens and JLaw55 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.