Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

'12 BCBCS

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Stevedore, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Anyone open a '12 BCBCS lately? How is it drinking?

2. JmH

JmH

Had one a few weeks ago, which I coincidentally drank exactly 1 year to the day after the bottling date - didn't notice until I tossed the empty into the recycling bin. Anyway, tons of fudgy chocolate, vanilla and still packing a nice bourbon punch. Overall, much richer than I remember from 5 or 6 months ago. It was a pleasant surprise.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  3. jbland21

As someone who tends to enjoy a little bit of bite with bigger bourbon forward beers like this, I thought the '12 tasted fantastic from the get-go and 1 year of aging hasn't really cut down on the heat too much but as JmH said, it is probably more balanced, richer, and slightly more mellow than it was a year ago. The two bottles I've had in the last couple of months have confirmed this and I'm interested to see how it continues to develop.

4. Eriktheipaman

Beer Trader

Just had my second to las bottle a few days ago. It's been in the 90's here and while it was an epic beer, it made me super full and took hours to drink. It was amazing and I find BCBS to peak at about a year. I think the heat has changed my palate for the time being though.

5. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Wait, are we talking about '12 BCBS or '12 BCBCS? I.e. the Coffee variant.

6. Eriktheipaman

Beer Trader

Good question, I didn't catch that.

7. BlackNote

Beer Trader

The thread title would lead me to believe coffee.....

8. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Yeah. I think at least 2 posts here have been talking about regular BCBS. I don't think BCBCS was bottled in September, but rather in November.

9. striker2160

Beer Trader

I am new to the craft beer scene so this is my first year with BCBCS. I had one in January and did not like it that much. I had my second in late May and I was amazed at how much better it had gotten.

10. JmH

JmH

sorry brahs, I was thinking (and described) regular BCS -- bottle date was 8/22/12

missed the extra C

11. pcstuck

Beer Trader

I had one last weekend to celebrate the start of the Bears season (sorry don't have bottle date). It seemed the coffee had faded somewhat, which i expected but still an amazing beer.

12. Jimbo33

Beer Trader

I had a 2012 last week and a 2011 a few months ago. The 2012 was significantly better IMO as I really don't think this variant of BCS ages well. The 2011 had a bitter stale coffee taste. I would say drink it now if you got em and I plan to drink all of my 2013 fresh this year.

13. Hophead717

Beer Trader

I love aged BCBS. The best Coffee I've had is the freshest one that I've had. Second best? Second freshest. Third best? Third freshest. Etc.

14. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Gotcha. Yeah I found 2 extra bottles in my cellar that I must have forgotten about and can't remember for the life of me why I decided to stash it away. Maybe drink one and trade one.

15. Dupage25

I'm opening one of my 9/20/2012's on the year anniversary. Regular BCBS of course.

16. axeman9182

Beer Trader

In the past I've found myself to enjoy BCBCS most with a bit of age on it. I love regular BCBS, so when Coffee is fresh the coffee flavor tends to be a little bit too overpowering. I'll be opening one of my 2012s for the Breaking Bad series finale in a couple weeks.

17. cavedave

Beer Trader

Wow timing is everything, started the day at an event setting up a brew, 7:30 AM yday, cracked my last one with the guys. Posting this without reading other replies. It had really come into its own, def. still a bright coffee presence, surprisingly, rich and chewy and integrated is how I would describe it, huge and beyond delicious. Haha now for the fun of seeing what you all thought.

Edit: Strangely it appears necessary for me to mention the BCBCS I am talking about is Coffee

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe