Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release '16 Bourbon County Lineup

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by sahd-1, Jul 18, 2016.

1. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (373) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

2. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (4,813) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Maple Rye sounds very similar to last year's Prop.

3. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Meyvn (1,480) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

The whole sour bourbon county thing, sort of soured me on lining up for any bourbon county.

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,980) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I find it odd that the Maple Rye Stout isn't the Prop this year and the Prop is just BCS in Scotch barrels. That being said, they all look pretty great and I'll be looking forward to hopefully getting a nice variety.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  5. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,305) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm sure I'll only have access to the base beer, no variants

6. lanciloti

lanciloti Zealot (541) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I agree, but scotch barrels sound super smooth

BigJon likes this.
  7. mwa423

mwa423 Crusader (735) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

Interesting that the two keg labels had ABV on them. I'm hopeful that variants will make it farther outside Illinois, especially into Ohio, now that we have gotten rid of our 12% ABV cap.

BradenMK likes this.
  8. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (490) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

bigjsempire and Shermski like this.
  9. bmony26

bmony26 Initiate (182) May 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Is a sour going to be a variant this year?

Gemini6, Abrahammer, Selz202 and 20 others like this.
  10. FBarber

They do sound good - but as discussed in the other thread on the 2016 prop, the scotch barrels seems to be a departure from the more traditional prop format which involved adding more "adjuncts".

11. lanciloti

lanciloti Zealot (541) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Your right, maple should be this years prop and scotch it's own variant.

FBarber and HouseofWortship like this.
  12. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (275) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Took 2 minutes.

Gemini6, Beh0921, jaxon53 and 10 others like this.
  13. Bferber

Bferber Disciple (332) Apr 17, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I will be looking forward to trying the Maple Rye, but sounds a little less appealing than years past. The addition of chipotle and chocolate (along with the maple that appears to be the primary adjunct?) might just make it a muddled mess.

Chipotle + cacao without maple sounds good.

Maple + cacao without chipotle sounds good.

Maple + Chipotle + cacao sounds like too many flavors fighting with each other. I don't think I'd order a dessert or a cocktail or anything else with that combo.

I think its the maple/chipotle combo that just doesn't sound that appealing to me.

Brolo75, Gemini6, KevSal and 5 others like this.
  14. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Aspirant (201) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

More interested in a non-infected coffee varient but will grab a regular and maple if I see it.

15. croush

croush Zealot (576) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The more I think about it, the more I am a bit disappointed if the 2016 Prop variant really is just the regular stout aged in Scotch Whisky barrels. Of course, if I don't get too caught up with thinking that Prop should be something more exciting, then I'm still intrigued to try it. It's just strange that we hear about how cool the idea process is for Prop, with so many employees coming up with ideas and submitting them....that this was the best that anyone came up with.

I really like the sound of the Maple Rye, but it will definitely depend on the presence of those peppers.

KevSal and Gambyt20 like this.
  16. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Devotee (416) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'm just excited at the prospects of some of these beers coming to Ohio after the repeal of our 12%abv limit. They all sound good and I'm excited to try them.

17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Disciple (313) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It sounds like Prop has just become a test bed for the following year's rye roll out....
    2015 Prop- Maple Syrup, peppers and nuts
    2016 Rye- Maple Syrup, peppers and nibs

By the same token, after getting burned on Prop this year, I'd rather have something simple and not infected than nothing at all....

18. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (332) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would have been more excited without the chipotle. I'm generally not big on spices in my beer, though it sounds like a great steak marinade. It should be a little smoky if the peppers are a prominent flavor.

Gemini6, KevSal and SeanBond like this.
  19. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (198) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Why do they add the peppers? Why?

IpeeA, Beerlistman, Johnct and 16 others like this.
  20. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (877) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If it's like last year's Prop, I assume the pepper is there to take some of the bite out of the sweetness of the beer, and it's possible that they're using chipotle specifically because they think the smokiness of it will mix well with the maple portion.

Either way, it's surprising to me that this year's Prop is just scotch-barrel BCBS, while this year's rye is basically a twist on last year's Prop.

mctizzz, beerhan and croush like this.
  21. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (321) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Sounds like a good lineup to me, I'll be happy if i get a chance at a maple at all, but I seriously doubt it

22. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (327) Jan 25, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

They may just not have enough scotch barrels for a nation wide release as a variant. Who knows though. I also agree they need to leave out the god damn peppers on everything.

BIGPOPPAS, IpeeA, Gemini6 and 5 others like this.
  23. FBarber

That's a good point in the number of barrels - likely the driving force behind the decision.

Gemini6 likes this.
  24. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

After all the bs, I'm not even remotely interested. And I'm still waiting for a check.

ADTaber, Peterock27, edd562 and 2 others like this.
  25. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (157) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If Maple is less sweet and features a slightly more prominent pepper taste than Prop '15 I'm all in.

mctizzz and hey5hitgoose like this.
  26. TboneRN

TboneRN Zealot (569) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

A little nervous they are doing a similar variant to prop 15 again...I had prop 15 on black Friday and the pepper taste was barley there, it was an overly sweet mess...so hopefully they learned?
    You almost need coffee with maple to really balance the sweetness...bourbon count is already sweet as is...

mctizzz and whatruDOINdragic like this.
  27. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (157) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Exactly.

28. TboneRN

Beer Trader

Last years prop barley had a pepper flavor, was extremely sweet and honestly not good...I would like to think they can adjust last year but with the turnover they have in brewers I don't want to hold my breathe

29. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (272) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts

Call me biased (I work for AB), but the Coffee variant, when it was fresh on draught, was amazing last year. My favorite of the whole lineup.

30. croush

Beer Trader

I'd love it if we could get the thread title fixed so I don't have to look at the wrong spelling for the next 6 months or so whenever we talk about the variants. :flushed:

For some reason I'm still holding out hope they will have something else in store for Prop. I am also hoping they will do some sort of even like Rare Day from last year, since I wasn't around for it. But, if they're not doing any sort of special release like they did with Rare, then I don't know if they will.

31. TboneRN

Beer Trader

Agreed, on draft it was good

32. TboneRN

Beer Trader

King Henry 2.0 day?

33. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

How about Prop Day? In Chicago rewarding locals (or whoever buys tickets...) fits the theme of Prop.

Or better yet, just have a ticketed brewery release day for the BCBS stuff. GI could sell tickets online for $10+ bucks or whatever covers costs (or even more to make a fat profit off convenience) and in return the ticket guarantees the holder the righ to buy one of each BCBS that came out that year- Reg, Barley, Coffee, Rye and Prop. You can only enter once and no mules. GI could gain more profit from cutting out the distributor in that model and then people could buy them at GI's suggested MSRP which isn't what they usually sell for.

Beh0921 and croush like this.
  34. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (332) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If it's like 15 in terms of pepper strength, MR should be fine. I got a lot more sweetness than pepper. Then again, that sample was at DLD in the late afternoon, so not the most reliable tasting notes.

35. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (877) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Oh yeah, there's definitely much more sweet than pepper (others have said they couldn't taste the pepper at all). I just don't think they used chipotle last year, so I'm not sure how that'll affect MR.

36. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (917) May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Everyone complaining about peppers have apparently never had Prairie Bomb! I guess.

David_kent, danjm21, BWood and 9 others like this.
  37. Fargrow

Fargrow Zealot (573) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Everyone else is right, it's spelled variant.

38. croush

Beer Trader

I'd love it if they did something like this, but wonder if the distributors & retailers would be a bit peeved by it. I'm sure they could strike the right balance of not making it too big to interfere with all the hype at Binny's, etc.

39. croush

Beer Trader

That's kinda what I had expected based on the rumors of it coming around again this year. We'll have to wait and see...but it's only 4 months away!

40. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

If Rare spent 2 years in the barrel, maybe KH 2.0 should as well? Was the original only aged 1 year in the barrel?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.