1999 Saxer Doppelbock

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Superheatnsubcool, May 25, 2018.

1. Superheatnsubcool

Superheatnsubcool Aspirant (268) May 31, 2016 Washington

Jeff Alworth wrote an interesting article on his experience cellaring beer.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2018/5/24/aging-beer-a-coda

The more beer I cellar, the more I tend to agree that the overwhelming majority of beer should be enjoyed fresh.

From the article:

“So let's revise the formula. You shouldn't age beer, and if you do, you shouldn't age it very long. And, if you do age it for a long time, you should expect it to taste bad. But if you age a beer for a long time, and it somehow doesn't taste bad, you will have a rare and wonderful beer-drinking moment. There's only a lottery-chance it will turn out. On the other hand, there's no chance if you don't age the beer in the first place.”

2. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (412) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I agree with a lot said in that article. For example aged stouts continuously disappoint me, even those mentioned by Patrick Dawson in his book Vintage Beers. I'm just not a fan of the cardboard flavor I get as they age. My palate could be different. For example I never get green pepper many people complain about in aged coffee stouts.

According to the top 250 of BA, I've had 57 of them. I know I've forgotten to review some of them. Despite trying those beers, a top 3 beer for me (only behind Marshmallow Handjee and BCBS) is a 16 year old J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale which probably doesn't crack the top 1000.

My point is I don't want anyone to overlook the article and interpret it as nothing ages well. A few beers certainly do...and they turn into something so sublime it will blow your mind. Props to the author for giving some positive feedback for the one beer he liked aged.