Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

1st timer, go easy....

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Qwest_35, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Qwest_35

Beer Trader

Thanks to this amazing site which is loaded with great insight, I'm starting my 1st cellar. Here's my list so far, if anybody has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. I'm up to 36 bottles, only have room for another 12 maybe, help me out BA.

World Wide Stout x 6
    Bells Expedition x 6
    Ten Fidy x 8
    Founders Imperial Stout x 12
    Narwhal x 4

2. OddNotion

Beer Trader

WWS I found that 2 years didnt do too much but I do have a 7 year old bottle which I have higher hopes for.
    Expedition I only had 1 bottle and kept it for 3 years and have to say it was one of my top 5 cellared beers.
    Ten Fidy I saw zero improvement or much change for that matter over 2, 3, and 4 years.
    The other two I have some stashed away but have not had any with significant age.
    For easier to acquire beers (depending on if you trade at all) to add, Great Divide Yeti, Troegs Flying Mouflan, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Dark Horse Plead the Fifth.

3. bozodogbreath

Beer Trader

My experience with aging FIS more than a year has not been good. Just my opinion.

4. tommyguz

Beer Trader

First make sure you try each one fresh
    I would go Dogfish Immort Ale and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

5. Qwest_35

Beer Trader

Thanks everybody. I have access to Yeti and Bigfoot, I am working on a trade for some Pt5 as well. Im not really looking to age these more than 1-2 years anyway. I'm actually thinking about stashing some Burton Batons away as well.

6. beerborn

Pretty soon you'll be investing in bigger storage space and more expensive beers. Quit now while ahead. If I'm just "experimenting" with aging a beer then I only age 2-3 tops so if its a disappointment its not too much of a loss. To answer your question I've found that beers with the most change over any amount of time have been anything barrel aged (bourbon, brandy, oak, etc..), with coffee, and wild/sours. Barleywines are pretty good too, might just be my palate but normally I don't notice a large difference year to year.

Hope any of this helps, enjoy your new hobby

7. grumpy

Avery Beast and Mephistopholes, North Coast Old Stock, Samichlaus, Great Divide Old Ruffian, Stone IRS

8. csurowiec

Drink the Burton Batons fresh and stash away some Palo Santo Marrons instead.

9. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Burton turns into a nice barleywine after 1.5-2 years.

10. OrangeMen

Im not criticizing but whats your reasoning behind having such a high count of each? You say you only have room for 12 more....so space is obv an issue. Then why cellar 12 founders imperial stout? Do you plan on trying one each for the next 12 years? I would cut that down first.

You seem to be into the imperial stouts...throw a speedway stout in there

11. offthelevel_bytheplumb

Don't waste your limited space with 12 FIS, 4 seems like a much more reasonable total. Also, I don't think that you should monopolize your space with imperial stouts. Barleywines, scotch ales, old ales and Belgian quads are also styles that I've had some success with.

12. pmoney

Beer Trader

IPAs don't turn into barleywines. IPAs that are aged turn into aged IPAs. Barleywines that are aged turn into aged barleywines. Beers don't change styles....

....unless you keep them in a magic closet.

LostTraveler and BrettHead like this.
  13. pmoney

Beer Trader

Get more Expedition. Drink the Ten Fidy. I've had it with one and two years on it, and it didn't really change. And sentiments to @csurowiec about the Palo Santo. That one ages very nicely!

14. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Have you tasted a two year old Burton? I realize it doesn't "change the style" but it does happen to change the flavor. So I'm sorry, it has a barleywine FLAVOR after a couple years. Acceptable?

15. pmoney

Beer Trader

I'll accept it ;)

Really what you're experiencing though, is the hops fading and the malt body being more forward. As you mentioned, that a common flavor profile of many barleywines. And yes, I have tried 1 and 2 year-old Burton side-by-side. I really didn't care for them with age, so that won't be something I experiment with again. In fact, the 2010 bottle that I opened at that time was nearly a gusher, had a very aggressive head, and tasted somewhat tart. I'd guess there was an infection issue with that one.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe