2002 Double Bastard magnum

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Mygerbmobile, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Mygerbmobile

Mygerbmobile Initiate (100) Mar 25, 2018

I have an unopened bottle kept in a cool basement that I bought in 2002. I was wandering if it how long it will still be drinkable. I was trying to do some research on it and found this awesome site. I am a big fan of Stone Brewery and have been drinking their beers since they were available here in Columbus Ohio. Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (407) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Haven't had that beer that old but even at 5 years old the aged bottles I've had tasted oxidized so expect that. It's not necessarily a bad thing but all you can do at this point is open it up and report back in this thread.

3. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,916) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

With less head space to volume ratio, I believe larger format bottles should age slower - so you may be fine. I am still working my way through a case of the 2010 release - drinking one bottle every 6 months to a year - and it's still drinking good.

4. Mygerbmobile

Mygerbmobile Initiate (100) Mar 25, 2018

Thanks for the reply...Stone was gonna build a brewery here in Columbus...but we got a Brew Dog instead...not a bad trade off....thanks again

5. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (502) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

I know what you should do on the next three day weekend party...

It will likely taste a bit faded but good nonetheless, and is a beer most non beer snobs will drink given the age (most people I share with think “ew why do you want to drink old beer?”)

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,839) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

16 years old? Oh my. It had a strong malt base so hopefully, it will only suffer some oxidation that I hope is fairly pleasant. I don't think I have read of someone holding a bottle that long. Good luck with it.

7. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (164) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Let us know! Many of us are aging this beer and would love to know how it ages long term.

8. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (285) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

You can look at check-ins by vintage on Untappd. Looks promising!

https://untappd.com/b/arrogant-bastard-brewing-co-double-bastard-ale-2002/118111

9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,916) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania