2003 Sam Addams Utopias

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Mksnod80, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Mksnod80

Mksnod80 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2018 Arizona

Hello! My husband and I were given a 2003 Sam Addams unopened Utopia quite a few years ago. We have been hanging onto it and we’re wondering if it was still good? We are not beer buffs :slight_smile:

2. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Yes it should be quite good. It was brewed to something like 27% alcohol so it should age akin to port or fortified wine even. I would imagine it tastes pretty good, a nice cold weather sipper, probably best poured into small sherry glasses as I can’t see anyone drinking a pint of this stuff in one sitting. I hear the bottles are good for years once opened, so you can have it out as a special occasion treat or something I’d imagine. You can open it now or in 30 years, I don’t see Utopias ever “going bad”.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  3. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,011) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

@youradhere is correct, it can age indefinitely. One tip I have for you once you open it is to drink it closer to room temperature. I made the mistake of chilling down the dram I had. Drank the first half and didn't like it because the alcohol was so apparent. I let the other half get down to room temp and it was delicious, reminded me of port wine. Enjoy it!

4. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

I’ve only been lusting after a bottle now for 10 years lol. They don’t distribute out here, almost got to get my hands on a bottle in MT one year, but they sold it before I could make it over to see family in the area.

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,236) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Some friends and I go in on bottles when we find them. So worth it. It's not a beer in any way really.

Bitterbill likes this.