1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

2007 Darkness

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Lansman, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I have tried to land a 2007 Darkness to complete the Darkness vertical and I'm coming up empty (offering Rare, BA Abraxus, Fifteen, CBS, BA FFF, etc.). I understand this is on the white whale list and there were only 480-500 bottles released and that this is a very tough one to get (especially given what I'm offering I suppose) and I know that finding a bottle will be a bit of a stretch to say the least. That said, however, has anyone seen any successful trades for a bottle? With the knowledge that likely anyone with a bottle left has just that- one bottle left- is this something that is just unattainable at this point?

2. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

You aren't even in the ballpark. This beer was impossible to get 2 years ago and my guess is: at this point the only thing it's going to go for, if tradeable bottles exist, are in the realm of M, Framboos '99, and Dave.

aasher likes this.
  3. chase2634

chase2634 Nov 10, 2009 Pennsylvania

Agreed. I tried trading for it a while ago and after finding someone with a bottle it was going to take most of the better bottles in my cellar. I decided to let it swim away..

Hopsiam14, claaark13 and MrKennedy like this.
  4. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

This is exactly the feedback that I was looking for. Thanks.

MarkIntihar and Sarlacc83 like this.
  5. chase2634

chase2634 Nov 10, 2009 Pennsylvania

When i say best bottles i'm talking the likes of Blabaer, Framboos, Kaggen etc. and not just one but several. That's when i decided to move on. Hit a similar roadblock when trying for Don Q. Damn Whales!

aasher and claaark13 like this.
  6. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Darkness 07 is not close to the realm of M, Dave or 99 Framboos though. Probably more along the lines of Millennium Gueuze, Roze, Wooden Hell +.

aasher, cosmicevan, LoPo87 and 2 others like this.
  7. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

I wonder if any '06 growlers exist.... 60 filled I hear. That would be fantastic to trade for! Can't complete the vertical without that!

8. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

I'd like to hear to someone with a bottle weigh in, but I'd be shocked if they wanted to let go of their bottle for anything less than the highest realm, even if it means a combination deal on their end. (I forgot to add that I expect people who have it to use it as a major part of that type of back in my original post, so that's my mistake.)

9. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I know of one that traded about a week ago that went for right around that ballpark. I'll let the BA's involved weigh in if they want.

10. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll May 5, 2012 New Jersey

Not quite. It's out there and obtainable, but probably not for the bottles the OP is offering, unless he's offering a 12 shipper of them.

SpeedwayJim likes this.
  11. Sean9689

Sean9689 Mar 17, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have a bottle of Darkness 07 but wouldn't trade it 1:1 for Millennium Gueuze, Wooden Hell, or Roze. Maybe a combo of bottles around that level, but not 1:1.

12. jegross2

jegross2 Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Someone was selling one for $400-500 before Darkness Day IIRC.

13. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Insanity... Great beer no doubt but c'mon man!

14. jegross2

Beer Trader

I didn't say I bought it, lol. I politely passed, was appreciative of the opportunity, but I have better things to buy for that kind of money...like 12 Hill Farmstead beers :)

15. Hopsiam14

Beer Trader

Good to hear it. Had an '07 2 years back and it was great. But I can't imagine dropping that on a beer. Instead I seem content to continue to allow my cellar to become more and more long in the waistband :)

16. jegross2

Beer Trader

I also didnt like how Darkness aged. 08-10 got too "fruity" for my personal tastes. I prefer it fresh, and I actually like the hops. To each their own.

17. Hopsiam14

Beer Trader

Fair point... I'm excited to crack a 09-12 vert this winter. Hopefully I can comment on that soon.

18. dinovis

dinovis Mar 1, 2013 Minnesota

Do you live in Minneapolis? I have seen some people looking to move a few rare bottles.

19. dinovis

dinovis Mar 1, 2013 Minnesota

I'd like to know which year you like the best, I am saving my bottles for a bit, then need a good event to crack them open.

20. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

oh yeah, who was that handsome devil?

21. biglobo8971

Beer Trader

I have one left. Unfortunately for you, I quite enjoy the fact that this will be the 3rd year in a row that I will be opening it with SEVERAL BA's on Darkness Day Eve 2013 as well as the rest of the vertical that I have. I have acquired the 3 that I have owned all in different ways. If you want to discuss how, message me and we can discuss. It's not impossible, but it mos def will not be easy. Good luck, if I decide to hate Beer Advocacy with my fellow MN'oans and Whoever'oans that happens to be near my truck when I open it, you will be the first person I call.

22. sliverX

sliverX Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

I'm trying to swing the honeymoon through Surly...

biglobo8971, libbey and Rempo like this.
  23. jegross2

Beer Trader

Can I have a sip this year ;)

24. biglobo8971

Beer Trader

show up on time this year.

robbiemoy13 likes this.
  25. jegross2

Beer Trader

I was very busy touring the Leineys lodge.

darklordlager likes this.
  26. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I know a guy who was wanting to sell his for something like $90. I could get in touch with him if needed?

27. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Ok I f'd up. Its actually a 2008. Sorry about the confusion

28. Jeffo

Jeffo Sep 7, 2008 Netherlands

Rough bottle to get, and any trade you do will be painful. I had to trade a 3f Blauw, Roze and a Narke Stormaktsporter for one. The other guy also got a Rare and help with Struise Double Black as "extras." Was pretty tough I thought, but both parties I was talking to wanted similar deals. The guy I ended up trading with happened to be the first of the two who responded.

Jeff

Lansman and claaark13 like this.
  29. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

That would have definately sold on ebay for more than that. Adam Jackson dun goofed

claaark13 likes this.
  30. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Yeah, but do they want to out themselves?

31. thaghost

thaghost Apr 29, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There's a guy in Chicago that has one. We'll see if he chimes in. He offered me his 07-10 vertical for $1k.

I passed..

32. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Jul 3, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

I know a guy who had one in Chicago, but drank it on his birthday in May along with many things he probably doesn't remember haha

Gonzoillini, bauermj and surfingbeast like this.
  33. claaark13

claaark13 Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Chimes in on what, a 7 month old thread?

34. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

yeah, this thread is as stale and oxidized as 07 darkness.

35. thaghost

thaghost Apr 29, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yea, that was my bad. Someone posted a link to this in an ISO thread. I was using my phone and didn't notice the last post date. Hope I didn't get anyone's panties in bunch...:rolleyes:

36. chardlogic

chardlogic Feb 18, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Seriously though, who would trade all that beer/money just for the stale, oxidized "tick"? Sounds batpoop to me.

37. cosmicevan

Beer Trader

2008 on the other hand...now that is a winner. at least it was about 6 months ago

38. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Interesting, because I had precisely the opposite reaction to the 07/08 last time I had them.

39. cosmicevan

Beer Trader

i only had 07 once, but was lucky enough to have 08 twice and both times 08 was a major highlight of the tasting.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe