2009 Anchor Old Foghorn, too old?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by HIGHPA, Mar 5, 2018.

1. HIGHPA

HIGHPA Initiate (175) Aug 21, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I just pulled a 09 Old Foghorn out of my cellar. I have one left after this one. The last one I opened was 4 years ago, so it was 5 years old. It was really good. Little to no oxidation. Very good malt character with slight boozey flavor and a little bit of hop. But I wonder if aging beyond this will do any good. I will know more once I crack this 09, but should I go for 10+ with the other. Anybody have any luck with extended collating of Old Foghorn 10+ years? Any info or thoughts are welcomed.
    P.S. I have a 08 Bigfoot I'm waiting to pop. Any luck with that either?
    Cheers!

2. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I opened an 08 Bigfoot a few weeks ago and it was perfect. Enjoy.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  3. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (502) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

I would say that “is it good” is completely subjective- I’m a fan of sweeter and maltier barleywines. “Dried out” RIS and bwines is a bad thing in my book, I want something decadent and rich, heavy and sweet. If a beer can hold those qualities over the years, then it is a good beer. If it starts out sweet and finishes dry, that is a deminished return in my book.

Some people like how Bigfoot dries/thins out after a bunch of years; some people like what I see as a “thinner” profile of Old Foghorn.

Myself liking barleywines and RIS more substantial in sweetness and body, would say that Old Foghorn at 10 years is like a paper air freshener at 10 years- if you really try, you can almost remember what it originally smelled like 10 years earlier.

So it depends on what you think of dry imperials and Old Foghorn to begin with. I find OF to be an “okay” beer, aging it to me sounds like something fun to do for the heck of it and science, but I havent be investing in OF for cellaring for a reason.

TL/DR: maybe, drink them and let us know!

4. Pabobcat

Pabobcat Initiate (146) Mar 6, 2003 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I hope, I have an 06 and another that I'm not sure of the age but around there.

5. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (290) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I wish I could get Old Foghorn...nobody in NJ seems to carry it. :rolling_eyes:
    Last time I had it, it was on draft, more than 12 years ago, at The OldBay restaurant (now closed) in New Brunswick (needless to say, it was incredibly delicious).

BJC likes this.
  6. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (502) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Sorry to hear that, Anchor is one of those breweries that gets lumped into the “too big to be tasty” camp in these parts, given the embarrassment of riches.

7. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,015) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I have not seen Anchor Old Foghorn in years either here on the East Coast (and I have lived in the NYC area, NJ, and NC).

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,834) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Been 3 years for me.

9. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (371) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Always available in/around Atlanta. I've had a 9yr old Old Foghorn and enjoyed it, though it was pretty oxidized.

The Bigfoot will be straight cardboard, guaranteed.