2009 Darkness Trade Value

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mnbuffalo, May 4, 2013.

1. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I would be very surprised if a an '09 Darkness could pull a CBS. That is very optimistic at best...

2. OneBeertoRTA

Beer Trader

Why?

3. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Because I would...Personally I think KBS is overrated as hell. Breakfast Stout is a much better beer. Just my opinion.

4. OneBeertoRTA

Beer Trader

'09 Darkness has fallen off and not even as good as '11 or '12. While I haven't had '13 KBS yet, '12 Fresh and even vintages are something special. I guess to each their own, especially since I found this year's FBS lacking (even though '12 was amazing)....

5. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

Nah, not in my opinion. 10, 11 and even 12 floor 09. So yeah SUCK IT!

6. iadler

iadler Aug 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Well I know people who have done that exact trade. CBS isn't pulling what it use to either.

JJWIGHT likes this.
  7. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I was just happy to have 7 12 bottle shippers at work, that and a random box or two and it was a hell of a day.

8. iadler

iadler Aug 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just curious when you had 09. I haven't had it for a more than a year and it was the most roast forward vintage I've had. I'm curious to see how '11 develops since I thought it was super freakin fruit forward.

9. MPLSbrewer

MPLSbrewer Dec 7, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

i cant imagine the anxiety of that truck ride to the new place... id be a wreck!

10. biglobo8971

Beer Trader

paying movers for the furniture, I am moving those myself on Tuesday. Only going a mile down the road. There are 3 boxes that will be in the cab with me fo sho.

11. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

"Anything you put in my mouth, you're gonna lose." - Andy DuFresne.

There's no accounting for taste! Really, though, this is the first I've every heard anyone put down the '09 vintage. IMHO, much better than the sweetness of the '08, a touch better than the '10, way better than the porter-like '11. The '12 still kicks ass, it'll be interesting to see how long the hops hang on.

12. DavidEddie

DavidEddie Jul 12, 2006 Illinois

It's going to be worth..................... there's no word to describe it. Schmooblydong? No,that's not it, but it's close. Let--let me try and put it in terms you can understand. Imagine being drunk at a DLD while two dudes take you on in a sun-baked porta-john.

13. OneBeertoRTA

Beer Trader

Had '09 twice in the last 4 months. Still good but fallen off

most recent time

[​IMG]

14. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Jul 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Jeepers. I see how I suddenly look foolish thinking I really have something with one 2009 with guys slinging two in fours months like it is nothing at all. The crowd I run with is like those sitting in upper deck of the stadium compared to some of you.

15. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota

so kinky.

16. feloniousmonk

you're made-up, right? This is a joke, isn't it? Beer is to drink, not to save forever. Your collection will change, as you drink. There is no point in having a collection of beers other than to have a number of beers that you will eventually drink. What the hell is wrong with you? You really worry about the "cred" of your cellar, and bragging, etc? Drinking your stash "costs you" your cellar? Messed up, dude. You are messed up.

theminutemen likes this.
  17. Tamarack22

Tamarack22 May 19, 2011 Minnesota

Yeah? Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Dude wants to keep his '09 Darkness, he's not ready to drink it yet, not ready to trade it yet. What the F do you care?

18. feloniousmonk

cause he's an idiot, that's why.

19. feloniousmonk

I'll be clearer. The expiration date is up on 2009 Darkness. If someone is holding on to it just because it looks cool in their collection, and doesn't want to lose it, they clearly never want to drink it, and are going to turn the contents of the bottle into a liquid they won't enjoy.
    Drink it now. Invite those friends over, enjoy it, say a prayer for it's passing, and move on. Seriously. This collection of beers of yours is fluid, not static. You cannot mourn, you can only grow. Take something out, add something new. Be human. Take joy in what you have, build towards tomorrow.
    And that's ...one to grow on.

20. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

1100 bottles, where the hell you stash them all? I've been in the basement

21. biglobo8971

Beer Trader

you never look under the bed

gpawned and BrettHead like this.
  22. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I'm to the point where I don't know how many bottles I have (going to have to grow through everything and make an excel file ASAP)...I know I don't even have 400 though (lol when I found out I have more...). So thank you for having 1100 and making me feel less "crazy" :D

23. repivk

repivk Dec 8, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I guess my invitation to the darkness party got lost in the mail. Feel free to send it again lobo, my pet possum tends to eat important things.

24. opwog

opwog Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I was actually surprised to see the definition that you brought up, because I very specifically remember grade school books that were equating word usage to quanity and the rule was:

A couple = 2
    A few = 3
    and several = 4 or more

Now we get into two separate fields, where language is a symbol system with words referencing things in the real world and the other is grammer, which is a set of rules for understanding. Now I have a couple of degrees under my belt for communication and while I may have spent more time on language as a symbol system, I would imagine that an English major would spend more time on grammar. But given that the issue was use of language to reach a shared understanding; point goes to elliott1184. I think that the vast majority of people would envision at least 4 units of something when hearing the term several, otherwise "a couple" or "a few" could have been used for quantities of 2 or 3, respectively.

elliott1184 likes this.
  25. elliott1184

elliott1184 Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Right? It's refreshing to learn I'm not alone on this. I appreciate the support.

#TheDreamofaCommonLanguage

26. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Picturing an armored truck for that move!

27. biglobo8971

Beer Trader

nope, I wouldnt let them take it in the truck. Made them load mine. By the way, 2 Men and a Truck rock.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  28. DoctorRock

DoctorRock May 13, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Better than 2 girls 1 cup?

BrettHead likes this.
  29. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Ban!

30. opwog

opwog Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

You, my friend, have issues ;)

31. jpmclaug

jpmclaug Jun 6, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

If any of those people really want to trade for one I would trade mine.

32. KWMiles

KWMiles Oct 23, 2012 Minnesota

33. pmccallum86

pmccallum86 Apr 7, 2009 Minnesota

I wonder how much cred my cellar has. Or rather, is it enough cred???

BrettHead and KWMiles like this.
  34. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

Dead to me.

35. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Jul 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This thread has become like contracting herpes, it just keeps coming back! I was new to trading and holding onto bottles and didn't get the spirit of being a Beer Advocate.

*Update since it has come up again. I did put it up for trade for a CA BA Huna and got two without it. I stumbled upon a 2008, and since I was so close I finished a 2008-2012 vertical. My plan is to either bring it to share on Darkness Day, or trade it to someone right before or right after(with a 2013) Darkness Day.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe