Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

2011 Belgian Style Yeti ... Buy?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Ekoostik, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Ekoostik

Stumbled across a bit of this, any insight whether this is worthy of a purchase despite being a shelf turd for 2 years? What do you all say...buy? Or let it fade?

2. LiquidCucumber

Subscriber

Have you ever had? If not, I would say worth at least a try. I enjoyed it slightly more than the Oatmeal Yeti that came out this year.

3. jhartley

Beer Trader

Depends on the price and if you have funds available to spend on it. If you haven't had it and want to try it...Go for it!

4. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Beer Trader

Do you know how it was stored all this time?

I found at a June 2012 at a store a little while ago and thought it was very tasty. I'd love to try a 2011. Any extras?

5. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Buy it, it's retired and the people who like it really love it. If nothing else you could use it for trading fodder.

6. RDMII

Exactly. It's retired, it's got Belgian yeast, and it's a stout. Age won't hurt it a bit.

7. nawset

The Belgian Yeti is good with some age on it.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

There's a reason they stopped making it and replaced it.

Skip it.

On the other hand, if you find some espresso yeti that old, grab it. I've got some old bottles I found rotting away at a small store and they are delicious.

9. RDMII

The reason wasn't because it didn't age well though, it just didn't sell well, or as well as hoped. I doubt GD replaced it because people were buying the shit out of it but not enjoying it immediately.

10. tx_beer_man

Beer Trader

Haven't had a 2011 Belgian Yeti but had other 2011 Yeti's this year and loved em. For the most part, better with age dark cellaring.

11. nawset

Wife and I have had all of the Yeti's multiple times and the Belgian was definitely our favorite. But they are all solid.

12. Ekoostik

Apologize for falling off the map a bit after my initial post, but I wanted a chance to re-see what I thought I saw at my local stores. Incredibly Three local stores seem to have about 2 cases of 2011/2012 Belgian Yeti on the shelf between them. One store has it all under coolant and I assume it has been for most of it's life. 2nd store has a bunch and is very cool room temp year round. 3rd store Im less enthusiastic about (doors open a lot ect), but this is the least bottle # only 4/5 I think.

I know the beer is retired and has its fans so if anyone thinks this might be a good situation to trade Im happy to do so. Not looking or fishing, but if someone thinks this might be a haul Im open to getting some of it to you.

Ol Johnny Skip, I'll try and send you a message.

13. RDMII

There's still plenty of it around (we have half a case) so it's nothing people are clamoring for yet.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe