2013 Central Waters BBS

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by sisterthelonious, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Should be arriving this week at most shops around Milwaukee. This is one of the best barrel-aged stouts out there, and only available in Wisco.

2. mcc1654

mcc1654 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 Illinois

No, it is available outside of Wisconsin.

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  3. sisterthelonious

MN/IL? When did CW start distributing outside of the state? (Can you tell I don't want to share?)

4. JRBecks

JRBecks Disciple (310) Apr 3, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Def get it in IL(Chicago area at least)

5. sisterthelonious

As much as it pains me to share CW BBS & BBBW with you southerners, it is a great beer and deserved to be enjoyed as widely as possible. You still have to drive here for NG.

6. mcc1654

mcc1654 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 Illinois

A couple years back. We have been getting the BBS for the last two years.

7. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

Ya I live on the border of WI/MN and the store on the MN side gets the Central Waters barrel beers, they charge to much for them but they do get them. Got to love Central Waters, throws out kick ass barrel beers in and even more kick ass format and an extremely kick ass price, all and all I would say they are kick ass!

BottleCaps80 and lem4prez like this.
  8. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,034) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

CW distros to WI, MN, parts of IL, and parts of PA according to seekabrew.

forrestbetts likes this.
  9. sisterthelonious

For some crazy reason I thought they were Wisco only. Most of their mainline stuff is meh-to-ok. Illumination is good, but way to expensive. Sits on the shelves for a long time, not so great for that beer. The barleywines and stouts are incredible.

10. Ri0

Society

I happen to really like the cherry stout. I need to pay attention when it comes out. For some reason I really like cherry flavor in stouts. Drinking a Bells cherry stout tonight.

11. sisterthelonious

I haven't gotten my hands on the cherry stout yet- usually comes out the same time as the bbs. Haven't tried Bell's yet- price point scared me away. Maybe I'll luck upon a single bottle somewhere to give it a shot. Hoarding a bomber of 2012 BCBS rye/cherries.

12. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,194) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

we have distro in Minneapolis but you are right for the money 1 of the best

13. Shakory

Shakory Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Wisconsin

drank some last night, it was alright..not as good as last year IMO

forrestbetts likes this.
  14. techster14

techster14 Initiate (118) Apr 11, 2006 Wisconsin

Agreed. Had my first 2013 the other night and it was thinner than usual. Bourbon was still in your face though!

15. Ri0

Society

No BB Cherry Stout this year?

16. Shakory

Shakory Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Wisconsin

wondering the same thing ^

17. stevegoz

stevegoz Disciple (303) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Cherry usually comes out when BBA barleywine does, if memory serves.

18. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

shtick?

19. s_wit

s_wit Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Wisconsin

I think you are right. I am pretty sure it wasn't available until January last year.

20. shredder83

shredder83 Disciple (375) Feb 21, 2013 Illinois

I'm pysched to hopefully get CW bbs soon here. Just fyi in october I finally drank my bcbs cherry rye and while it was delicous there wasn't as much cherry flavor as I hoped for. I guess maybe over time it fades, drink that bad boy soon!! Cheers.

21. fluff_head

fluff_head Initiate (71) Nov 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I was just told Milwaukee Whole Foods will have it on Friday

22. orangestorm87

orangestorm87 Initiate (86) Dec 12, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I was just at Woodman's in Oak Creek, and talking with the Beer Rep, he said they should have it ready to put on shelves by Thursday.

Just remember to leave me some!

23. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Meyvn (1,014) Nov 30, 2008 Wisconsin
    Trader

In stock at Milwaukee Discount Liquor. $12.99/4 pack, no limit that I could see (I grabbed four 4 packs).

24. Infinite1

Infinite1 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Trade ?

25. Vav

Vav Aspirant (272) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

Should hit in Chicago next week.

forrestbetts and blueyodel like this.
  26. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

Have to disagree with you on this one. We cracked a couple of bottles last night, and the consensus was that this year's batch had a noticeably thicker/silkier mouthfeel compared to previous years. Not quite on par with BCBS, but definitely headed in that direction.

Ri0 and lem4prez like this.
  27. Drew26

Drew26 Aspirant (235) Nov 2, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Agree with above. Thought it was a bit thicker than last years...a little less carbonated as well, which I thought was a good thing. Now, I loved last year's version as well, but preferred the 2013.

28. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Initiate (73) Jan 31, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Anyone notice an off flavor on the finish? I got a 4-pack at the brewery when it was first bottled last month and it just wasn't right. I had it on tap in Madison last week and same thing. The finish was dry/leathery - almost like an absence of flavor. I had my last bottle a couple of nights ago and it tasted better. I wonder what it is, and why the off flavor seems to be dissipating over time. I noticed the same thing with the bourbon barrel scotch ale earlier this year, which also got better over time.

29. Ri0

Society

I always considered that to be from the oak. Seriously, have you ever put a fresh piece of oak in your mouth? It has a dry/bitter/leather flavor.

30. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Initiate (73) Jan 31, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure that's it. I shared a bottle with a group of barrel aged beer aficionados and nobody picked up oak in the flavor - everyone thought it just tasted "off". But the last bottle I had tasted pretty much as expected for CW bourbon barrel stout. I wonder if it has something to do with how the barrels are emptied. Do they pressurize the barrels with CO2 or nitrogen or something in order to push all of the beer out of a barrel? And does that add some sort of weird flavor to the beer that would dissipate over a few weeks?

31. BullBearHawk

BullBearHawk Aspirant (220) Jun 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I totally agree with the bourbon barrel scotch ale. Tasted all over the place at first but after a few months it tasted fantastic. Haven't tried the BBS yet.

32. mdomask

mdomask Aspirant (208) May 27, 2012 Illinois

I'm drinking one side-by-side with a BCBS right now. BCBS is just a different league. Much thicker, much richer, much more complex. Neither of my parents are beer drinkers, but both like to sample stuff I bring up during the holidays. Both picked up the difference between the BBS and BCBS right away.

I picked the BBS up at Woodman's in Kenosha yesterday, and it looked like they had plenty, for reference.

33. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

No question that BCBS is still significantly thicker than CWBBS, and it may be richer (depending on your definition of "richer"), but I'd argue that which one is more complex is very debatable at this point. While base BCBS is unquestionably a great beer, the thickness makes it a bit overwhelming and one-note, while the CWBBS consistency gives the flavors more room to spread out and distinguish themselves.

We polished off a growler of BCBS last weekend, and by the end pretty much everyone was tired of the taste; if it had been CWBBS I don't think that would have been the case.

34. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

35. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

I'm guessing they do it the same way they do all beer. Probably pump the beer from the barrel into a brite tank, fill head space with CO2, let it settle into suspension and pump it to the bottling line and fill em up.

36. mdomask

The BBS was much more one-note for me. I'm home for the holidays and both my parents (non-beer drinkers) had the same comments independent of each other after taking a few sips.

BBS had more of a piney hop presence, some vanilla and oak, and more of an alcohol taste. Some roastyness/chocolate came out as it warmed up, but that was about it. BCBS started out much more chocolately and smoky, then opened into dark fruit and sherry flavors. The barrel characteristics were there, but much more integrated into the whole.

Not trying to put down BBS; it's a nice BA stout. It's just not a substitute for BCBS. Having had a few years' worth of BBS, though, it's definitely gotten thicker and richer. It used to be much thinner and harsher.

37. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

There are alot of good Barrel Aged stouts in the Midwest...but for me there are three different degrees.
    There is BCBS, and that really stands in a league of it's own.
    Then there is Black Note, KBS, and BBPT5 just below. Not saying they aren't as good, but they don't have that rich, viscous mouthfeel.
    Then there are the likes of Central Waters BBS and Dragon's Milk.
    They are all different, and suitable depending on occasion. But it's unfair to compare any stout to BCBS, IMO.

38. mdomask

Meh, I think it's fair to compare them. It's not like the techniques used to create those beers are so different that they're in different categories. KBS may be more comparable to Peruvian Morning or BCBCS; it's an odd duck out, what with the coffee and vanilla.

BCBBW is an unfair comparison, IMO, due to the third-use barrels. I'm honestly not sure who else does that, and I'd be really curious to try another barley wine aged in barrels used to make a BA stout.

Edit: Also, I'm not as big on the whole ranking thing. It's more... here's what I got out of this beer, here's what I got out of this beer, and which did I enjoy more. I catch myself falling into the "want the best" trap too often and forcing things to conform to what I want them to be, not what they are. I'm trying to enjoy things more and rank them less.

39. atone315

atone315 Champion (899) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

/Midwest Stout Debate.

misterid likes this.
  40. PourGuy

PourGuy Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Illinois

The wait is over for those around the Chicago-land area!! It's here now. $14.99 per 4 pack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.