2014 Bourbon County Brands release - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Jaycase, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Aspirant (211) Jan 29, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I saw it in there last year so they definitely have gotten it.

2. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (181) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I called, and No they don't. They said beer menus made a mistake

3. jpsy422

jpsy422 Initiate (174) Jul 12, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

If you're a regular at a store, you shouldn't have to wait in a line regardless of your ability to ambulate.

4. htkeyes

htkeyes Initiate (34) Feb 16, 2013 Illinois

They had it on Wednesday I believe. I walked there in the morning, they said they wouldn't get it this year. I came back in the afternoon and they sold through their case of coffee, and only had BW and regular left. What is sad is that this has happened to me multiple times this year. Who knows if who you are talking to knows about what BCBS is or if they are telling you the truth.

funhog likes this.
  5. HugePrnceFan1999

HugePrnceFan1999 Initiate (49) Nov 30, 2011 Indiana

Maybe in Mayberry.

6. Crentakey

Crentakey Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2013 Illinois

I just left Park West Liquor on Sheffield and Lincoln. When I walked in there was no one behind the counter. As I shopped the bottles on the shelf I saw that the doors that open to the basement were open and figured whomever was tending to the shop was downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs, there were two cases of BCBSBW and a case of BCBCS. The shopkeeper came up and insisted that they weren't for sale. I even went as far as to ask if they were for sale "at any price" just to find out. He said the owner told them not to sell it.

7. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,357) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

A nice round of applause to the Mom & Pops. GI clearly made a mistake in not putting more in the hands of these local stores.

8. jpsy422

jpsy422 Initiate (174) Jul 12, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Im out in Geneva/St Charles. I can count at least 4 stores that did this for me or someone else in my group.

HugePrnceFan1999 likes this.
  9. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Devotee (438) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

100% agree. However, not all Mom and Pops are like this. In a perfect world, they would strike deals only with big chains and then the select few stores that don't price gouge (i.e. Beer Temple, Bottles and Cans, etc.).

Makubex and SeanBond like this.
  10. DrunkAl

DrunkAl Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 Illinois

And because of that Vince felt entitled to take his stores entire allocation of cherry rye.

11. DrunkAl

Goose island is less than 1/10th of 1% of InBev sales in the us. BCBS is 2% of goose islands production.

I'm going to guess not much of a shit. They spill more bud light platinum during bottling than they sell BCBS.

hustadaj likes this.
  12. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Initiate (171) Feb 28, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

You serious?

funhog likes this.
  13. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (277) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

I was curious about this as well. Met Vince a couple times and seemed like a decent dude.

14. stevegoz

stevegoz Disciple (303) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

All 12 bottles? He sold me one!

funhog likes this.
  15. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (413) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

This guy gets it.

16. DrunkAl

They didnt receive bourbon county before black friday. He tweeted the next tuesday that it would be for sale at when they opened wednesday. My wife waited for 1:15 before opening, third in line. Nobody got any cherry that day, he only sold coffee bombers. Every other binnys I know of sold coffee and cherry together at a pre-announced release. I asked vince about it later and he only said it was super limited and danced around any questions regarding if they got it or when they sold it.

I know these binnys guys that helped with the cherries were promised bottles, and that ended up coming out of the stores allocation. So my assumption was that he simply kept them all or the remaining went to people in his own friends with benefits club got them. And I had heard from several people that he texted his buddies when rare stuff came out so they had a chance at it before it went out on twitter.

You're the first I've heard that got a cherry from DG that year. Regardless if he took them all or sold some off that's not how any other binnys handles the BCS release, screwing over the people that you told to wait and handing them out to friends or your favorite customers. I expect that shit from some of the shady corner stores but not from Binnys.

JakeT469 and Makubex like this.
  17. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Initiate (171) Feb 28, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Wow - when I visit Chicago - this is the store I frequent. Maybe I'm thankful he left! Hopefully the next guy/gal that replaces him will be a little less shady.... Thanks for the information.

18. SouthSideSox24

SouthSideSox24 Initiate (0) May 20, 2013 Illinois

Yikes. Nothing like waiting for someone to be gone to start dragging them through the mud. And all for a beer buyer rewarding regular customers...

Tell you what, once you are in charge of buying beer for a sizable liquor store and get a limited release that you have to allocate for sale, lets see if you would sell it only to people you know will appreciate it and who have been supporting your store, or if you are gonna put it on sale where most likely either first time shoppers or hoarders are going to get it. Now obviously, some people will be regulars who simply don't talk to the beer buyer, but I would rather that beer gets allocated to people Vince knew for sure were regulars.

19. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Initiate (153) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

Not a regular at DB Binny's but I followed him on twitter and never had an issue when I bought beer there. Honestly doesn't seem any shady aspects of the way he ran that Binny's.

EDIT: By not shady I mean prices were good, he tweeted out when he got rare beers, his staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Maybe there were 12 bottles of beer that never went on sale that HE HAD A HAND IN MAKING, but besides that every thing was good there. Rare beers were always tweeted out when they were in and anyone could buy them. Before I moved to Chicago it was my back up beer store.

stevegoz and bingenbrew like this.
  20. JakeT469

Sams Club in Oswego got 4 cases of BCBS just now. Minus the case I just bought, there's 3 left. Go get you some.

21. doublej584j

doublej584j Initiate (109) Jun 19, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

22. JakeT469

$122.01 after tax

23. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (393) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

That's a fantastic price

24. DrunkAl

Except I wasn't first time shopper. I was in there a lot, I had spent quite a bit of money in that store, and had been shopping there regularly before Vince even worked there, I used to work across the street so it was damn convenient. I was in there at least a dozen times that month, every time I asked about BCS and cherry all he would say was keep an eye on twitter. Keep an eye on twitter, man. Yet a tweet about cherry never happened. He made everyone line up, just like every binnys, but unlike every other binnys, he only sold the coffee. Don't say one thing all month and change the rules at the last second without telling anyone.

bryang002 likes this.
  25. doublej584j

Trader

Went to get a couple 4pls and it's gone. Haha.

26. JakeT469

They may not have put it out yet. They were still in the back when I got mine. I've got an inside guy there and he gave me a heads up when it came in.

27. doublej584j

Trader

Now you say so. I'll try again tomorrow.

28. JakeT469

Didn't know you were gonna go mins after I posted that. I figured by the time anyone was able to get there it would've been out on the floor. Apparently I guessed wrong. Good luck tomorrow.

29. doublej584j

Trader

Its all good. I was actually at Menards and stopped in after that. It was a few minutes before closing. They remaining people had no clue what I was talking about.

30. bingenbrew

bingenbrew Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2012 Illinois

Hey guys Vince here. @DrunkAl, I get that you are upset but I only saw you when there was a limited beer was released. When Cherry Rye came in, I took ONE bottle. The rest of the bottles went to a couple of employees and the rest to regulars. To define a store regular, it is a customer who comes in frequently and doesn't just buy what's being released or behind the counter. I would only allow employees to buy as much as the customer was allowed. I felt like I was allowed to buy these beers, considering I spent 40+ hours a week at that store for about 4 years.

I cannot tell you how many times I gave up my chance to buy a limited release beer to take care of a customer. Most of the customers had no idea that's what I was doing and I didn't care. You would of known this, had you actually shopped my store. So your statement about me buying it all for myself, couldn't beer more off. Hell, I gave up my bottle of Bramble Rye to @stevegoz for having an awful experience at my store.

I find it pretty pathetic that you had to wait until I'm no longer working/living in Downers Grove to call me out. Please get your facts straight before you make me out to be a shady asshole.

<3 Vince

ackeeper, Cynic-ale, jdhende and 17 others like this.
  31. bingenbrew

bingenbrew Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2012 Illinois

Thank you! I ran my department as fair as I possibly could. I,and other employees, only took the same allotment as everyone else. All the bottles that were set aside, were set aside for people who wouldn't trade it away/sell it and who shopped my store frequently.

32. htkeyes

htkeyes Initiate (34) Feb 16, 2013 Illinois

Completely understand about the letting employees buy the same allotment as customers. However, I always thought that, aside from a few exceptions, most Binny's releases were first come, first served. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that it is not true.

bryang002 and PHBoiler like this.
  33. Baron_Von_Awesome

Baron_Von_Awesome Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2013 Illinois

I believe you hated on some hippies who cut line at a woodman's a few pages back. Wouldn't having bottles held for you for being a regular at an establishment be the same as cutting line to get the same beer? Both actions result in someone in line behind you or your held beer, not getting a beer or beers they should be "entitled" to. Line cutters and those having bottles held that screw others out of bottles are equally as bad as one another.

34. ChiBrewKing

ChiBrewKing Initiate (81) Dec 1, 2013 Illinois

Completely agree with htkeyes. I think the argument DrunkAl is making is that there is a huge difference between holding bottles back for "regulars" at a small independent store and "regulars" at a large chain like Binny's.

For a small independent shop, "regulars" make a noticeable impact on their bottom line. They are what keep the doors open. So for a small shop to hold back beers for "regulars" is completely understandable. If they didn't, their "regulars" would go elsewhere.

At Binny's, craft beer "regulars" make up an insignificant amount of their sales because they have so many other customers, some of which are buying $100+ bottles of wine and liquor. The Beer Manager at Binny's isn't dependent on keeping the "regulars" happy in order to keep their job or the business afloat.

So for a beer manager at Binny's to hold back "limited" beers for "regulars", it's a completely different thing. "Regulars" at Binny's are really just buddies of the beer manager.

DrunkAl's frustration is that for a beer to be announced as a limited release to all customers first come first serve, it really isn't the case. It's just a sale of what's left over after the beer manager hooks up his buddies.

35. Jonnyhiggs

Jonnyhiggs Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Illinois

Binny's a fucking joke. I guess when you get paid shit, you have to pretend to have some unimportant power like become a beer gatekeeper. It's not YOUR store, you're a measly employee who used your "power" to "hook up" who ever would pretend like you meant a shit to them. Guess what, everyone moved on.

PHBoiler likes this.
  36. Jonnyhiggs

"I felt like I was allowed to buy these beers, considering I spent 40+ hours a week at that store for about 4 years."

LOL! I work at a bank, 40+ hours a week for 10 years, Guess I can be allowed to just take some money.

37. bryang002

bryang002 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Illinois

My only addition to this would be setting a standard of what a "regular" is and letting your customers know that. Is it an amount spent, number of visits to the store, time spent speaking to beer manager or the number of purchased overpriced Only Child and Pipeworks bombers. Im also waiting to hear back from DG store manager on their bribery policy. When beer managers post pics of their "gifts" from regular customers I again just want to know how to play. FYI stevegos or whatever his name was one of the customers mentioned and we now hear he got "Vince's" only backyard rye. Funny how these things work out.

BTW, I have no problem playing the game, but give everyone the rules to play.

PHBoiler likes this.
  38. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (413) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

BourbonCountyStoutAdvocate.com

fastenoughforphish, lupulo and Vav like this.
  39. Jonnyhiggs

I shop at Target a lot. I should have asked them to put aside the 40 inch HDTV that was $100 on Black Friday because you know, I'm a "regular".

hustadaj and bryang002 like this.
  40. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,107) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

C'mon man, there's no reason to insult people's jobs on here; working at Binny's is no more or less noble than other other type of employment. And if the beer manager of a Binny's thinks of the store as "his" store, what's wrong with that? He's in charge of a significant aspect of the store, and is essentially one of the figureheads of his location (ask Vav how much work went into his black friday event). I'd rather these guys feel some sort of loyalty to their store than have random employees stroll through the aisles aimlessly, not giving a shit about what's going on there.

I get that distribution of hard-to-get beers is a slippery slope; even a beer as big and mass-produced as BCBS can turn into a complete shit-show, especially in a beer market like Chicago, but there's no reason for ad hominem attacks. I don't envy these guys having to make the call between selling a bottle of Prop to the guy who flies in off the street and has no interest in the rest of your stock, and the guy who's in there multiple times a week, seeing what's new, shooting the breeze, etc. Could you take the choice out, and just put it on the shelf? Sure, and then you'd have people take more than their allotment (as has happened at LP Binny's more than once, according to their signs), and you'd run the risk of your most loyal customers being completely screwed (which, on a human level sucks, because everyone wants to help out their buddies). Either way, beer advocate is usually one of the few positive places I visit on the internet, and there's no reason for that to change. This isn't the place to call people out; we all love beer, so let's focus on that.

Now, if we could just get back to obsessing over BCBS...

baker2gs, JimGlonke, Vav and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.