2014 January cellar reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by 4DAloveofSTOUT, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,247) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Let kick the cellar reviews off for the first month of 2014!

HotD Fred batch 83

Not sure how old this beer is at this point... I am guessing 2 or 3 years old now. If anyone can give a specific date of batch 83 Fred, I would be greatly appreciated!

This bottle is drinking very well!

A: Massive long lasting head just like when its fresh. Heavy sediment load on the bottom of the bottle.

S: Lots of malts, light rye and lots of tropical fruity hops!

T: Tropical fruits hops imparting light bitterness. Honey, rye, and bready malts with moderate sweetness. Great balance of flavors.

M: Very smooth and well carbonated. the carbonation is fairly creamy right now. well hidden abv.

O: Fred is really great fresh, but this is the best that Fred has ever tasted to me and I think it will continue to get better for several years. It should be a staple in my cellar, just like HotD adam.

2. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (227) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Had a Mother of All Storms 2011 last week. It drank so damn nice! It was still a little hot/boozey, but went down super smooth. The nose was full of oak, bourbon, caramel, and a touch of toasted coconut. Body was slightly chewy, in a good way. Lots of stickiness to this beer.

It could easily go another 1-2 years.

mdfb79 likes this.
  3. DanH83

DanH83 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Has anyone popped a 2012 Parabola recently? It's 18 months old by now, almost. Just curious.

4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,078) Mar 18, 2010 California

Yes, I was at a recent tasting where one was opened. The barrel aging has mellowed out a bit so there is no overwhelming bourbon presence and the wood flavors were a bit astringent in my opinion. It was still pretty tasty but I much prefer it fresh.

gshak likes this.
  5. TWStandley

TWStandley Defender (617) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I opened one on Christmas day. It was absolutely phenomenal. Definitely open one up if you have one, you will not be disappointed!

6. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (4,741) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I opened a 2011 Victory Dark Intrigue last week. I liked this one a lot when I first had it when it was released, but didn't like it as much this time round. I found it to lose the coffee it had and some of the chocolate and coconut, while still having a lot of whiskey to it. Have 1 bottle left but would say it has not improved with age, though it wasn't a drainpour.

I also had a 2011 Dark Horse BBA Plead the 5th on Sunday night. This was a beer I loved fresh and it is just as good, if not better, right now...I thought it was drinking perfectly. It has lost a tiny bit of heat and has a little more sweet chocolate to it. I've got one bottle left from 2011 and I plan on drinking it in the next month or so as it was perfect right now.

7. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Yeah, Fred ages amazingly! I never liked this beer fresh, but have recently had the pleasure of drinking a couple of vintage bottles at the tasting room. I can't remember the exact vintages off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure they were in the 4-8 year range. Both were absolutely phenomenal. Probably the most marked improvement from fresh to aged I've come across in a beer.

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  8. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,723) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Celebration Ale 2010 - Really showed it's age. Quite musty in smell and taste, hops faded and malt character flat. Wasn't terrible, but not that good. Don't wait this long.

Celebration Ale 2011 - Still fully carbonated - couldn't pour the whole bottle into the glass. A little musty in aroma and pretty much lost all hop aroma. Slightly sweet malt aroma. Flavor is mostly malt based with a streak of hop flavor mid to finish and a nice bitterness that lingers softly for quite a while and later in drinks it lingers stronger. Hints of the former grapefruit flavors. Duller and flatter than fresh and that hurts this one. Still drinkable and interesting, but not as good as when fresh.

Celebration Ale 2012 - Still more malt forward aroma. Also pours with rather big head. Definitely doesn't hold the oxidation of the older ones, but there is a touch of age on it. Hop flavor and bitterness fresher tasting and more apparent. While not as sharp as the fresh versions the blending is good and it moves towards a more softly balanced beer. Grapefruit flavors are nice, but not too strong. Nice feel with a smoothness to the drink.

I think I may have decided that I like it fresh the best. One year in the cellar is still pretty good and holds it's own attributes, but fresh is where it is at with this beer.

9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (3,952) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

My review of 2009 Heavy Seas Below Decks barleywine:

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
    12 oz bottle, 2009 vintage from the cellar, so at least 4 years old.
    appears a deep fairly clear brown. mahogany colored highlights. not much head. boozy rich aroma, sweet toffee and raisins, nice. taste is all malty flavors, but not overly sweet. very smooth. lower carbonation, slick full body. appropriate for the style.
    overall - the aroma is quite a bit better than the taste.

10. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Firestone Walker XV was kind of thin and one dimensional. Not bad but not nearly what I had hoped for when I finally opened the bottle.

11. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,247) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

TATURBO opened a 2009 Old Stock Cellar reserve aged in bourbon barrels tonight to go side by side with my bottle of 2011 Old Stock Cellar reserve aged in brandy barrels. We also had a 2011 Old Stock Ale to compare what the base beer tasted like compared to the barrel aged version! It was an epic beer night no doubt!

Anyways... 2009 Old Stock Cellar reserve aged in bourbon barrels is drinking nearly flawless as of lately! The beer is well integrated and very complex. Great oaky and bourbon notes. It still has a nice amount of carbonation. It is really smooth. ABV is not overly boozy. I am a huge fan of this beer! It still has plenty of time until the beer will start going down hill; I would say as a rough estimate at least a year or two until it will hit its peak! Its such a fantastic barrel aged Old Ale.

12. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Alvinne Cuvee D'Erpigny 20-something. I bought it in March 2012 and I think it was the first batch, so it dates back to July 2011 or so. At any rate, the first time I drank it was October 2011. Poured into a snifter because it's about halfway between a quad and a barleywine. It's a 15% Belgian quad/dark ale aged in Monbazillac barrels.

L: no pop when I open it, not even a hiss. About as flat as I expected. Color is as I remember it.

S: huge grape aroma, plus dates and sugar. Plums too. Hint of toffee, less than in the past.

T: less oak than in the past, and the grape flavor may now be leaning more towards the raisin-like oxidation rather than from the wine barrel. Plums and toffee. Hint of leathery oxidation. As was the case both in 2012 and 2011, this beer's 15% alcohol is nowhere to be found.

M: at this point I would probably prefer a more carbonated Cuvee D'Erpigny, but it isn't a huge distraction. The sweetness is just a bit north of too thick.

This beer has aged along to where oxidation flavors (chiefly raisins and a hint of leather) are poking through, but not yet far enough that the beer has started to thin out/dry out. It's anybody's guess whether or not it will be too oxidized by the time the thickness dies down, but I think I'll probably drink my last bottle soon rather than risk it.

13. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Disciple (323) Oct 24, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeti Feb 2013- It was great. A lot better balanced and the chocolate taste was very apparent.

14. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Anybody opened a Nov 2012 Night Stalker lately?

I see a couple of more recent reviews but I'm more interested in hearing about how it has changed from people that had this guy fresh. I really disliked this fresh when my buddy opened his bottle. Had too much going on that didn't mesh very well. I remember an overwhelming bitter orange peel flavor that didn't work for me. Stored the 2 I had figuring the fruit might subside.

15. lincolnbeard

lincolnbeard Initiate (133) Dec 12, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I have a 2010 Night Stalker I need to open.

16. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Are they from the 11/19/2012 batch? The one that autolyzed? I'm nervous about opening my two bottles. :(

17. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I believe they are from 11/19/12. Looks like this brew fell into 3 categories: tastes fine, doesn't taste infected but is terrible, or tastes like straight up soy sauce.

Good news I guess is that my buddy and I got our bottles at different places - so maybe there is hope for my two. Honestly, I don't remember a soy flavor back then. It was really sharp. Extremely bitter and orangey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More