2014 Pliny the Younger (PtY) Tappings in CO

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hoppytobehere, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Any word on other establishments getting it in? Haven't seen anything. Hops & Pie?

2. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Disciple (304) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

From the Backcountry FB page - "We have just scheduled the Pliny the Younger tapping for Sunday, February 23rd! We'll be selling tickets at $8 for a 10oz pour. The tapping will start at 1 pm, but we expect people will be lining up well before then. We'll start selling tickets at 10 am that day - one ticket per person. You can buy your ticket early and then come back at 1 pm, if you prefer. Or you can enjoy some brunch here while you wait!"

VABA and SkeeterBoganski like this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,682) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Cheeky Monk has been my locale of choice, although I've been to FreshCraft and the VSP, too.
    The VSP was THE best location, but they didn't get any last year. Word has it that it was related to stout month and them wanting to hold off a week 'til March.
    Scary to think that this will be my 6th year of PtY (not counting when they brought tons of it to GABF).

hopfacebrew likes this.
  4. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Colorado

Cheeky said that they are getting it this year, but they have yet to post as to when. They are joining in on the ticket system this year. I would imagine they tap it this month or early next month

5. omgeezo

omgeezo Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Colorado

Anything else scheduled besides besides falling rock and backcountry so far?

Traveling to town for pty tappings. Hoping for thurs-sat this week. bm's welcome if you want to share some inside info

6. craftbeerdesign

craftbeerdesign Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2009 Colorado

Anyone know how long the line has been at Choice City in the past to get a ticket? Wondering how far in advance you need to be in line to get a ticket.

7. seanmonaghan13

seanmonaghan13 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Anyone ever been to the Backcountry tapping. Hoping to go and wondering how early I need to be to get a ticket.

8. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Champion (827) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Just back from the first tapping at falling rock. Ran into @McNazz there. Go drink PtY. it was excellent.

9. rkarimi

rkarimi Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2010 Colorado

Rumor has it Oskar Blues HMLS will have it Sunday March 2

10. mkorpal

mkorpal Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2007 Colorado

Last time I did it was 4 years ago, but I had no problems showing up a few hours before and grabbing a ticket. Now, I have no idea.

11. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2005 Colorado

Hops & Pie will tap theirs on Sunday, March 2nd.

12. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Domingo likes this.
  13. jriggins6

jriggins6 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Colorado

Does anyone know if anywhere in Denver or surrounding area is popping a keg of younger Feb 25-27?

Thanx

14. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,956) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Check out the post above yours.

15. Patric_Lawrence

Patric_Lawrence Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Colorado

Heard of a small craft beer bar (somewhere on blake) tapping through the grapevine, don't think it has been released yet. Very early March. Could just be a rumor.

16. TDavEdMac

TDavEdMac Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Colorado

Just got to cheeky monk at 605 and they are already out of tickets. Sonofa...

17. Todd

Todd Founder (6,208) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

18. denver10

Society

Freshcraft on Tuesday March 4th at 6 PM.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  19. pagesofphotographs

pagesofphotographs Defender (667) Sep 15, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I'll be trying to hit the 3/3 Cheeky Monk date! And then its straight to Broomfield for Hall & Oates! Anyone else in for this?

chicano4craft and tacosandbeer like this.
  20. mcgarjo

mcgarjo Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Colorado

Was told they only got two 1/6bbls, and tap one each night, so tickets were extremely limited.

TDavEdMac likes this.
  21. homebrew311

homebrew311 Poo-Bah (2,476) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Anyone know when tickets are available at Cheeky Monk for today's tapping?

22. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,682) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

If it's like the tappings from '12 and '13 they'll start selling tickets 2 hours before the tapping. There are "guaranteed" tickets and "maybe" tickets. Last year they told everyone to sit down and wait on a waitress to bring it to you...but a line formed and some of the people who did as they were told nearly missed out! Even if you have a ticket, pay careful attention to what everyone else is doing.

23. homebrew311

homebrew311 Poo-Bah (2,476) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thanks for the solid info.

24. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (227) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Trader

Euclid Hall is tapping their keg at 4pm today for $6 a pour

Domingo and DenverBeerDrinker like this.
  25. denver10

Society

Mayor just tapped PtY about an hour ago according to their Twitter for those in the Fort Collins area.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  26. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

Got mine at Choice City last Monday, I'm good for the year.

27. angelmonster

angelmonster Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 Colorado

Tried getting some at Cheeky Monk tonight, got there at 530 and they were already out of tickets

28. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Gonna brave FreshCraft tonight. Won't be able to get there until about 5, so fingers crossed...

29. TDavEdMac

TDavEdMac Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Colorado

World of Beer Cherry Creek tapped and killed their keg of Younger quickly tonight. There's still a crawfish boil goin on for Fat Tuesday though... And a helluva party

tacosandbeer likes this.
  30. Prospero

Prospero Savant (968) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

I thought the same.... until
    I got there at 5:00pm and they told me they were out of tickets and that they started giving them out when they opened earlier in the day...

That's strike 2 for me this year. And I ended up leaving at 6:45 after seeing the line move like a snail pace. But apparently they ended up with extra pours left even the staff got some.... I guess I should have stuck around longer.

Ahh well. I've had it the last 3 years and after seeing how it was this year, I doubt I'll be having it again. I'll stick with PtE & Blind Pig when it's on tap at FRTH the rest of the year.

31. Todd

Todd Founder (6,208) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Hit the "secret" tapping upstairs at Euclid Hall yesterday (no tickets, no lines, poured all afternoon/night), and Fresh Craft's tapping tonight (extremely smooth). Got to taste PtY 3 times in 2 weeks, and in no way is that depressing.

32. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (401) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

I thought World of Beer did a good job. Got there about 3 minutes before the scheduled tapping and found myself at the back of about a 60 person line. Got my 1st pour, was about halfway thru it when I realized that seconds were cool, got back in line and got a nice second pour. No tickets, no chaos, they dedicated one point of sale at the far end of the bar to Pliny only, and were actually running a second event simultaneously, as noted above, the Abita sponsored crawfish boil.

I doubt the keg lasted an hour, but there was no "crush."

Wish my Eucld sources had clued me in to the "secret" tapping....on the other hand spent an enjoyable time at WOB....an Elite rep of my acquaintance bought me an Old Vis to round out the evening...thanks John!

33. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Disciple (304) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

VABA, southdenverhoo and ASak10 like this.
  34. KoloradoKonet

KoloradoKonet Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Colorado

Freshcraft ran relatively smoothly yesterday as well. Got my first taste of Pliny the Younger...ever.

35. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (401) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

wow, who needs Euclid Hall employees when you have this board? If only I wasn't too dumb to actually read it...

36. Cfahooligan

Cfahooligan Initiate (105) Mar 19, 2001 California

We heard it about through Falling Rock so we did that first tasting on the Wednesday. Then we hit two other tastings totally at random. Monday we had friends in town and met up at Euclid. As we got there we found out about Pliny. Very small group of people there. That was probably the best. And then yesterday I grabbed a late lunch at The Kitchen and the bartender there told us about Freshcraft's tasting. I did previously hear about it through Westworld article but forgot about the dates. We weren't trying to be greedy about it either since we did get a taste already. But we walked over to Freshcraft thinking we probably wouldn't get in anyway. It was about 4:15. Got seated at a table and got a ticket and got our taste. It was all very random for us after the Falling Rock tapping.

37. denver10

Society

FYI to NorCal folk, Mayor just tweeeted that they tapped some Piny the Younger.

38. bbfc

bbfc Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 Colorado

From their twitter: "Sorry- that tweet about the Younger should have said Elder….fixing now!"

denver10 likes this.
  39. chango

chango Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Colorado

Dude in the store last week got snooty with me when I told him they don't bottle the Younger.
    He was all like, "Ohh, yes they do. You can get it if you know people.", with nose in air.
    *chuckle* Okay, buddy... okay.

40. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Initiate (198) Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

They do bottle it! It comes in pink bottles with lolcats gold flake label, etc.

kuelhof and chango like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.