2014 Vintage Velvet Merkin

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by folkstar, May 8, 2018.

1. folkstar

folkstar Initiate (89) Sep 28, 2017 Rhode Island
    Trader

if I was to get into a 2014 Velvet Merkin, what could I expect in terms of how well it has aged? I don't think I've ever had a beer quite that old ... I enjoyed 2015 vintage quite a bit recently. curious about anyone who may have recently enjoyed older vintage

cheers!

2. mig100

mig100 Savant (982) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Cracked one fairly recently. Noticeable oxidation, a little bit of a stale subdued flavor (from hops?).

I would crack it asap, I don't think an 8.5% oatmeal stout is really meant to be cellared beyond about a year.

folkstar likes this.
  3. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

I want to recall reading somewhere that oats don’t age too well in a beer, and velvet merkin would probably be best nonolder than 2 years. You likely have a decent stout, a fainter representation than fresh, but nothing to crow on about.

folkstar likes this.
  4. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,290) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I realize that I’m not answering your question, but thought I’d share my personal opinion on the topic.

I’ve never aged Velvet Merkin, but I could not imagine this beer getting any better with age. It’s too subtle and delicate of a barrel aged stout to not drink fresh. Again, just IMO.

Curious as to your thoughts if you decide to do it.

5. folkstar

folkstar Initiate (89) Sep 28, 2017 Rhode Island
    Trader

I’ve enjoyed 2015 vintage a couple times this year, it was actually my gateway to Firestone Walker .. and It’s been pretty good. I feel like older than that is pushing it— and you’re right that fresh velvet merkin (well, 2017 vintage anyway) is very delicate and subtle.

6. coquet

coquet Initiate (89) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia

I've never held on to a bottle of Merkin past six months--and I realize many people won't even consider that "aging" it--but I thought it had already lost a step at the half-year mark. I can't imagine this gets any better with long-term aging. YMMV.

darktronica likes this.
  7. wickedestman

wickedestman Initiate (44) May 15, 2016 Finland
    Trader

Had the 2013 vintage earlier this spring and while it was still pretty tasty, it had definitely passed its peak. Drink this fresh!

Yabu likes this.
  8. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (207) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I'll pop my '13 soon!

kemoarps and wickedestman like this.
  9. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (1,761) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

I've had one- and two-year-old Velvet Merkin numerous times, and I agree with others in the thread that it does not age very well. That's not to say that older Merkin will be a bad drink, just that in my experience, it is at its best when fresher.